Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hacking

Poster
    Originally posted by Will_518@2 November 2003 - 03:50
    And howcome i get the feeling i'm the only guy in here who doesn't play a music instrument?!
    i dont .......

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    I still have the wrong idea about hackers? OK, maybe i do, maybe i don't.

But then what is the right idea about hackers? if they are the guys who create original programmes, then why are they not just called programmes? Ok, they create programmes or modify current ones so they do stuff they not supposed to do, but they are still just programmers improving programmes. Like mods for games, we don't call they guys who creates CS hackers, do we.

What is the difference between a normal programmer and a hacker? The hacker is more original?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Poster
    there is more to being a hacker then programming IMO, i have a child that is 7 who programms i dont class them a hacker ...well not yet anyhow....

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Originally posted by exeus@1 November 2003 - 17:00
    there is more to being a hacker then programming IMO, i have a child that is 7 who programms i dont class them a hacker ...well not yet anyhow....
    So, hacking is a lifestyle? Like when we think about game-programmers we think of pizza and long hours. When we think of hackers we think of what you and Neo 721 said?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Poster
    it is hard to stereo type any group
    but yes it is a lifstyle which IMO is being creative which could mean fixing the return spring on a carbie with a hair tie..to me it mainly means that you put thort into things come up with your own ideas dont nessercerily except everthing the you see or hear, that you are not one of the sheep, i am sorry but it is hard to put it into words but i think one main point is being Creative...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    OK, so are all creative and resource people hackers? My gran's like that, she can fix stuff with whatever's at hand, and she's got a quite realistic view of the world, and she puts thought into things like cooking for example, and she plays a musical instrument. But, she doesn't know anything about computers.

Would you say she would be a hacker if she programmed well? (most of it is true, i'm not pulling your leg)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Poster
    i would say that by the sounds of it she is a hacker....

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    So, is MacGyver like a Super-Hacker?

You can't get more resourceful than that!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    *Grunt*
    about the creativity thing he means with PC orientated area's ect.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Here is the definition according to the Chambers English Dictionary.

hacker noun 1 someone or something that hacks. 2 colloq someone skilled in using computers, particularly in programming them.
    ETYMOLOGY: 17c; 1970s in sense 2.
    hack verb (hacked, hacking) 1 (often hack something down, away, etc) to cut or chop it roughly. 2 (often hack something out) to cut (a path, etc) eg through undergrowth. 3 intrans, colloq (often hack into something) to use a computer with skill, especially to obtain unauthorized access to (someone else's computer files). with negatives and in questions, slang to be able to bear or suffer someone or something • He can't hack it. 5 intrans to cough in short dry spasms. 6 football, rugby to kick an opponent on the shins. 7 to cut (a story, article, etc) in a damaging way. noun 1 a kick on the shins. 2 a wound or rough cut, especially from a kick. 3 a mattock or miner's pick2. 4 a short dry cough. 5 a chop or blow.
    ETYMOLOGY: Anglo-Saxon tohaccian; 1970s in verb sense 3.
    All this crap about the definition - creativity, and playing the violin? Crikey! You are drunk.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast