Thread: Graphics/video Question

I am experiencing slowdown and framerate drops in some new graphically intensive games. I have an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128 MB DDR. When the slowdown occurs, my processor isn't really buzzing with much activity which leads me to believe the slowdown is in the video card. This leads me to believe that I should upgrade. Do you all agree?

Specs:
    Intel P4 2.4 ghrtz w/hyperthreading
    1024MB DDR RAM
    Win XP Home

P.S. The games are the PC version of Halo and Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield (Great game by the way)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I have the exact same card as you do.

Before you bin it, you might want to consider trying Omega drivers.
    In the package are some utilities that may help also.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by T'Pol@1 November 2003 - 18:46
    P.S. The games are the PC version of Halo and Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield (Great game by the way)
    i dunno about Raven Shield, but Halo in particular doesn't run at blazing fast speeds on ANY current video card. some people put it down to lazy programming/design on the part of the company that made the game, and others say that the sluggish performance is because it includes liberal use of special effects that current cards just don't handle very well. anyway, the game may run a bit faster after a few more updates are released, or else you'll just have to wait for a newer generation of videocards to come out.

in the meantime, my only suggestion is to mess with the graphics options (drop the resolution to 800x600 and disable "specular" for example) until it runs smooth enough to play on your card. even if you were to buy a more expensive card (at least any that are available right now), Halo still would not run well with the options cranked up.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+2 November 2003 - 06:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 2 November 2003 - 06:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-T&#39;Pol@1 November 2003 - 18:46
    i dunno about Raven Shield, but Halo in particular doesn&#39;t run at blazing fast speeds on ANY current video card. some people put it down to lazy programming/design on the part of the company that made the game, and others say that the sluggish performance is because it includes liberal use of special effects that current cards just don&#39;t handle very well. anyway, the game may run a bit faster after a few more updates are released, or else you&#39;ll just have to wait for a newer generation of videocards to come out.

in the meantime, my only suggestion is to mess with the graphics options (drop the resolution to 800x600 and disable "specular" for example) until it runs smooth enough to play on your card. even if you were to buy a more expensive card (at least any that are available right now), Halo still would not run well with the options cranked up. [/b][/quote]
    he&#39;s rite. halo with specular turned off is exactly the same as b4, but so much faster

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Those Omega drivers helped me SO much. I recommend them for all of you&#33;