Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suprnova

Poster
    I don't know whether this is true but I'm gonna voice my opinion on this anyways.
    Suprnova.org has a huge group of users who are not sharing but leeching with all the might they have...

I realised that out of 209 peers and 54 seeds, that only 18 users are sharing. I don't know how and why these group leechers are able to block out their uploads and just purely download but they are certainly a horrendous bunch of people...esp those who are downloading at 100kb-612kb/sec (yes the highest I saw was 612kb/sec) but are not even sharing at all...

I had a bad opinion of BT because of being too dependant on suprnova. Now check this, I pick a more obscure torrent site and I begun downloading, almost immediately I hit a high of 15kb/sec in the first 5mins (as opposed to the max of 16kb/sec I get after 15hrs of being connected to a suprnova tracker and until then it still fluctuates to 3-4kb/sec) and I'm still going at that speed!!

And that's not all, I started another torrent on the site and I geot 13kb/sec immediately downloading both files simulatneously!! And that's on a torrent site with only 10 peers and 5-7 seeds on each file...imagine how much sharing could do...even if you download and share at a 3:1 ratio, you are still sharing...I know some ppl who don't share at all and that's getting on my nerves...

But then again, this is my view on torrents, and you guys may have another opinion but this could also prove a solution to some people...that suprnova although has a widespread variety of torrents may not always get you the best speeds becoz there are a majority of leeching going on.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    What you say about BT and SuprNova is mostly true.
    The problem with very popular torrents is the seeder/downloader ratio. Bittorrent will open a certain amount of connections depending on which parts it requests. Those connections may not neccessarily be with the original seeders. Indeed the more seeders and peers the less likely you connect to the original seeders.

Now why is that a problem with SuprNova and not with other sites? Well, I think because of the popularity and easy-accessibilty (sort of) of SuprNova, it attracts relatively more low-bandwidth connections than other, more 'hard-core' sites.

Of course that latter argument also supports the thought that SuprNova has more 'hit-and-run' leechers (although, technically, you can't leech with BT)

Another problem is that some trackers used can't keep up with the sheer load that such a lot of users and torrents generate.

At Fasttracker we usually get higher speeds than most SuprNova torrents, of course depending on who's seeding and such.
    Can't remember a movie's name? Ask help at MovieWorld's Lost & Found

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Exactly u just don't get a connection to everyone but they are still there if u just saw them.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Roosh's Avatar Poster
    Guys,
    Do you know how long the site will be down? ( <link edited at request of site owner> ) Or is that link outdated?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    That&#39;s the private tracker and yes they don&#39;t use that anymore if u are a member ask them to pm u with the new URL.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    how to you stop uploads from bittorent ??

like ive said before, programs that dont allow you to stop your uploads are simply there to chew up your bandwidth.

for people like me that have a small download limit and need to stop sharing for at least 1 week its bad using programs like BT and EMULE.

wouldent it be so cool if isp&#39;s only had limites on people download speed and download lmit, but if upload was completly uncapped, that would be the best&#33;

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by ang3r@29 October 2003 - 22:47
    wouldent it be so cool if isp&#39;s only had limites on people download speed and download lmit, but if upload was completly uncapped, that would be the best&#33;
    Upload, even moreso than download, must be capped for an ISP to survive and profit. However, that cap can be in the form of low max upload bandwidth instead of say 10 GB/month.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Originally posted by Switeck@30 October 2003 - 03:55
    Upload, even moreso than download, must be capped for an ISP to survive and profit. However, that cap can be in the form of low max upload bandwidth instead of say 10 GB/month.
    My ISP did the later, fortunatly... I have 2mb downstream and 400 kb/s upstream for ca 40 euro/month.

Im glad that COMHEM.SE didnt do what TELIA, their biggest competitor and former mothercompany did... They offer a 2mb/400 kb/s connection for the same price... but with a 10gig cap... Suckers&#33;

10gig? Hell, I shudder to think about how much traffic that goes through mine account, hehe&#33;

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    (although, technically, you can&#39;t leech with BT)
    I would love to know where ppl get this idea from, that bittorrent is unleachable.

downloading a film of suprnova earlier today, it had 1 seeder and 4 leechers when i started, and was 700meg in size.

I have just downloaded azureaus (the java client) so i thought i would see what all the fuss is about with it.

ok i started the torrent and set the upload to 20KBs (to do my bit) the max download i seen in 1 hour was 10KBs. I just thought this was normal as not many seeders/leechers, but i thought i would give something a go.

i went into the options and set the upload BW to 3KBs (globaly, always a bad sign for a client imo) went back to the download and guess what, downloading at 100KBs+ for all the rest of the file. My share ratio was abysmal after i had finished the file, but as i run my own tracker i know what leechers are doing to bittorrent, so i put it back up to 20KBs for the next 10 hours and had a share ratio of 0.500 and will reseed if the torrent needs it.

so all these ppl that say that you cant leech off bittorrent are talking rubbish, i get better download speeds when i do leech, but i always make it up to at least 0.500 share ratio in the end.

stoi

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Whatup stoi haven&#39;t seen u in a while.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast