Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1001 Movies You Must See. . .

Aristocles's Avatar Film Buff
    I just decided to try 'Newsgroups', yesterday.

Purchased a 3 month deal from astraweb for $39 (turns out to be a bit stupid, as I could have gotten an $11 deal- for a month- from them by just looking more). Oh well, maybe I'll like it.

Next I d'loaded alt.binz, grabit, and niouzefire. I am trying to decide which one fits best for me.

Now I am trying to get a bead on 'Indexers'. Using what I find here seems to be working well so far, considering my own limitations in the understanding of how the whole thing works.

My question is does anyone know of anywhere that I could find the list "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" in toto and together. Incarnation of the list is not relevant.
    Last edited by Aristocles; 06-24-2010 at 10:02 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    newsgroupie
    You mean something like this:

http://www.scaruffi.com/cinema/best100.html

There are many "best film" sites all over the web. Maybe what's needed most is a website that lists (and ranks) all the 'best movie list' sites

e.g. The 1000 best sites that rank movies

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    You mean something like this:

http://www.scaruffi.com/cinema/best100.html

There are many "best film" sites all over the web. Maybe what's needed most is a website that lists (and ranks) all the 'best movie list' sites

e.g. The 1000 best sites that rank movies
    No, I absolutely do not mean the list qua list.

I mean the list as a collection or findable via an indexer. Thus each film would be available to download. The list in whatever incarnation is available in lots of places. I was wondering if there was an indexer that could be used to find the films listed as a group and ready to download. I haven't had any luck but my ignorance is boundless when it comes to newsgroup indexers, just looking for some guidance maybe my query is even stupid. I do not know.

Thanks

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    BANNED
    Find them one at a time?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by c0ld View Post
    Find them one at a time?
    Yes, OK. I guess that may be the only way.

Notwithstanding the first two sentences of my second paragraph, this is my meaning: "I was wondering if there was an indexer that could be used to find the films listed as a group and ready to download."

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocles View Post
    Find them one at a time?

Notwithstanding the first two sentences of my second paragraph, this is my meaning: "I was wondering if there was an indexer that could be used to find the films listed as a group and ready to download."
    How long does it take to type in the name of the movie, when compared to the time it takes to watch it?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocles View Post

How long does it take to type in the name of the movie, when compared to the time it takes to watch it?
    Hm. Setting the average movie length at 90 minutes and the average typing time to 15 seconds (I am a very poor typist) that would be a ratio of 5400/15. You can put into simplest terms if you like.

But what is the relevance? I mean besides nothing, of course. The amount of time and trouble put into typing and searching each individual title, and then looking through what is brought up could be spent viewing film, putting them on the external, using the toilet, changing clothes, eating, exercising, hanging out with wife and children, ad infinitum.

Expedience often has much to be said for it. At my age, if I can save time and what would be a pain in my neck, I do.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    I've only seen such lists for games (small ones), music and series never for movies.

My last "project" was to download all the 250 top rated movies (on IMDB) and I just searched them all up on nzbs.org, merlins and matrix cause that way you don't have to look too much before you click download.

And copy & paste saves some time

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    newsgroupie
    The movies you're likely to find listed on NZB sites (complete w/download links) are virtually always current releases; I've never seen classic movies exclusively done this way. But there are a few release groups that specialize in older films - usually material they personally like themselves.

One group I especially liked is MOViERUSH (search for it on Binsearch.info) I discovered them because they were putting out many of the movies that I happened to be looking for - and in the format that I preferred (1-CD rips). So I started searching for and downloading MOViERUSH releases, some of them films I've never heard of before. I've not been disappointed yet - all their classic/older movie picks I've downloaded have been winners.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    The movies you're likely to find listed on NZB sites (complete w/download links) are virtually always current releases; I've never seen classic movies exclusively done this way. But there are a few release groups that specialize in older films - usually material they personally like themselves.

One group I especially liked is MOViERUSH (search for it on Binsearch.info) I discovered them because they were putting out many of the movies that I happened to be looking for - and in the format that I preferred (1-CD rips). So I started searching for and downloading MOViERUSH releases, some of them films I've never heard of before. I've not been disappointed yet - all their classic/older movie picks I've downloaded have been winners.
    Roger that.

Thanks for the replies, all. I think I am now clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast