Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop-pc Network

Poster
    I just bought a laptop which said it was LAN and Infrared ready or something like that. I am already sharing broadband over to desktops using a crossover cable. Can I also add internet to this laptop via infrared or parallel port or sumthing like that?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    get a router man. or use internet sharing

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    for internet sharing, don't i need a cable connecting it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Even better, get a wireless router.

http://www.linksys.com/products/grou...rid=33&scid=35

And a wireless network card:

That way you can use your laptop anywhere in your home and still have access to highspeed internet and your LAN.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    he he my powerbook is wireless

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    i'm trying to get a cheaper option. On the laptop it gives an option to connect via a direct parallel port or infrared. But i don't know wot to put on my PC

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    If it is LAN ready it means you have got a network card built into the laptop.

so you need to get a network cable(ethernet crossover cat5) the price depends on the length.

then you just connect it up via a host/server machine via a router or network switch

if you already share to other PC's then you can get a network switch and insert it into the network.

it sounds like you did not set up your broadband sharing though or you would have known about the LAN ready issue so you will need some advice and set up instructions

start here it should have the laptop on network soon

Microsoft Home Network Set Up XP

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    i have 2 PC's connected via croosover cable, so i don't have another space for another crossover into my server, but i found out that i can connect via a parallel connection, so i will do that.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    that seems ofly complicated good luck too ya!!!
    i would normally not go to that level of hassel, and just get etherenet hooked up...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by browser@2 November 2003 - 15:54
    i have 2 PC's connected via croosover cable, so i don't have another space for another crossover into my server, but i found out that i can connect via a parallel connection, so i will do that.
    Another cheap option (not preferred) would be to get a switch. Those are really cheap these days sometimes free over the internet and sometimes around 4-5$.

Then you can have a crossover running into it and then all RJ45 wires running out to your desktops and laptop. Although it doesnt have a firewall normally but that can do it.

Thing with parallel port is that it is expensive to get a long wire and if you any other thing attached like a printer then you would have to take it off.

Your best option would still be going for a switch (if want cheap) or a router. Even a router 5 port is around 15-20$ if you do research, so you might want to look into it for future.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast