Thread: Some Questions About Windows :)

hi, i really want to know how to put a sleep timer on my computer, for example,
    i want the computer to automatically shut down 3 hours from now.
    How do i do that?

How about this example, I want my computer to disconnect from the internet 3 hours from now. Is there a built-in function in windows that will enable me to do that?

I am on hi-speed DSL - Sympatico
    and using Windows XP Crp Pro

any one know these tricks wanna share with us? much thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    1. Start->Help and Support->search for "shutdown"->click "shutdown" under "Pic a task" and follow the directions
    2. go the setup page or program of ur ISP (Sympatico) change the "Lease time" to 3 hours and the "connection" to "as needed" (this is the simplest way, yet has disadvantages, one of which is if u have a fw, then it may consider it as an attack and/or if fw's settings has disable pings then u may not be able to connect)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thanks for the information however

for 1, i didn't see any button or link - "shutdown" under "Pick A Task"
    for 2, it's slidely complicated, i might want to look further to another option

but thanks so much, hope you can do a follow up if you think i screw up

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    zhelynd,

There are tons of programs that will allow you to automate the startup/shutdown of your PC.Here's one.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Trying looking for a program called Poweroff. It has several options you can choose to for starting/stopping different things like programs, shutting down, etc. I use it to turn my comp off at a certain time so it doesn&#39;t run all night making my room hot >_<

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    let me try some of those programs you suggested, and see how it goes

thank you all for the input

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    no disrespect to clocker&#39;s suggestion, yet, speaking in general, it&#39;s to the best interest of the pc/user to utilize the features/commands available in windows. I can understand for cases such as cleaning or optimizing the registry, u may require of a professional/expert programmers to help u with their packaged software.

In my experience, the user&#39;s useage of software/hardware CAN cause more harm to the pc. point and case about the above referenced program, they have a caution about useage. NOT because their program doesn&#39;t function properly, on the contrary, they&#39;re worried about how the user may use it. there are many other points, yet hope this help.

Caution: Incorrect CMOS settings can keep your computer from working correctly.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Obviously nikita you have a valid point.

I&#39;ve run into several aftermarket programs that were crap ( or I somehow managed to screw them up ).

Then again, some Windows components don&#39;t seem to work all that well either...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by clocker@3 November 2003 - 12:35
    Obviously nikita you have a valid point.

I&#39;ve run into several aftermarket programs that were crap ( or I somehow managed to screw them up ).

Then again, some Windows components don&#39;t seem to work all that well either...
    Correct, the way M&#036; programmed some win comp doesn&#39;t function to the purpose it was intended to. Now i&#39;m considering to create a guide of win comp and whether an outside program is needed or not along with the how to use......