Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dcma

Poster
    This is the letter I got from my isp yesterday shortly after my internet was disabled, it has been turned back on after I had to swear never to share this file again, I know that it is very easy to see peoples IP adresses on Bittorrent but how could I stop this from happening in the future?

11/2/03 2:21:14 PM by ffloyd:
    DMCA Complaint - Case #**********

ORIGINAL COMPLAINT BELOW

Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 1:15 PM
    Subject: SYMC Product Download/P2P Notice to ISP : [Notice ID: ******], Case ID: <<CaseID>>

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

I am writing on behalf of Symantec Corporation. Symantec owns the trademarks and holds the copyrights for numerous computer software products, including but not limited to a suite of computer utility and antivirus software products under the U.S. registered trademarks NORTON SYSTEMWORKS® and NORTON ANTIVIRUS®, and other software bearing the "Norton" or "Symantec" brand names. Symantec also holds the registered trademark in the U.S. and other countries for its name, SYMANTEC®. Symantec&#39;s rights are evidenced by, among other things, registrations of its trademarks and copyrights with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the United States Copyright Office.

As you know, unauthorized use of Symantec&#39;s trademarks, and unauthorized copying and/or distribution of Symantec&#39;s copyrighted works, is a violation of federal and state laws. It is illegal to produce, sell or distribute such unauthorized works.

Symantec has been notified that Cable ONE provides Internet access for the IP address listed below. We have determined that unauthorized copying and distribution of one or more of our products (Please see evidence below), is taking place from that address. Such distribution is not authorized by Symantec, its agents or the law and thus constitutes infringement.

Based on the above, the deliberate and clear infringement of Symantec&#39;s protected copyright and trademark rights, and the harm to Symantec&#39;s business and goodwill from the infringing use, Symantec demands that you immediately investigate and take action to stop this infringing activity, and inform us of the results of your actions. Symantec believes that the entire Internet community benefits when these matters are resolved cooperatively. Accordingly, we appreciate your efforts toward this common goal.

The information contained in this notification is accurate. Under penalty of perjury, the undersigned is authorized to act on behalf of Symantec with respect to this matter.

Please be advised that this letter is not and is not intended to be a complete statement of the facts or law as they may pertain to this matter or to Symantec&#39;s positions, rights or remedies, legal or equitable, all of which are specifically reserved.

Thank you very much for your immediate assistance regarding this matter, and please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Chansonette Connolly
    Manager, Worldwide Brand Protection
    Legal Department
    Symantec Corporation
    20330 Stevens Creek Blvd.
    Cupertino, CA 95014
    Email: [email protected]

Notice ID: ********
    Title:Norton Anti-Virus Professional 2004
    Infringement Source:BitTorrent
    Initial Infringement Timestamp:25 Oct 2003 01:17:59 GMT
    Recent Infringement Timestamp:25 Oct 2003 03:39:49 GMT Infringement Address: *********Infringement Site: **********/SYMANTEC.NORTON.ANTIVIRUS.PROFESSIONAL.2004-PROMPT
    Infringer Username:None
    Infringing Filename:SYMANTEC.NORTON.ANTIVIRUS.PROFESSIONAL.2004-PROMPT
    Infringing Filesize:218943992
    AOL 9.0 Now with top speed sarcasm that is 5x funnier than normal
    dial up sarcasm complete with AOL instant stalker.

AOL 9.0 with top speed and AOL instant stalker...more expensive than saffron but worth it&#33;

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Money Fist's Avatar Che-Che get the yayo
    I mentioned about these letters a while ago

BITTORRENT IS UNDER THE EYE OF YOUR MOST HATED

(If you dont know Justin
    my friend got one from universal)

GO to general catergory/ other related/ DO NOT SUPERNOVA

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Maybe you could, you know, stop using BitTorrent for popular & illegal stuff, and maybe use something that doesn&#39;t tell the world what you&#39;re doing?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    muchspl2
    did you have a firewall -no I bet you didn&#39;t
    were you using pg or even better a firewall with the imported ips, no I bet you weren&#39;t
    who&#39;s to blame, you

just be carefull in the future and understand its you vs them

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by muchspl2@4 November 2003 - 05:28
    were you using pg or even better a firewall with the imported ips, no I bet you weren&#39;t
    who&#39;s to blame, you

question is, was he. if he was, we&#39;re all screwed. if they can hack through one, then can hack through most

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+3 November 2003 - 23:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 3 November 2003 - 23:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-muchspl2@4 November 2003 - 05:28
    who&#39;s to blame, you

question is, was he. if he was, we&#39;re all screwed. if they can hack through one, then can hack through most [/b][/quote]
    I was using Zone Alarm 4 and I also was using router with a firewall in it.

AOL 9.0 with top speed and AOL instant stalker...more expensive than saffron but worth it&#33;

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    You could use a proxy program with you BT client, can&#39;t think of one at the moment but I&#39;m sure someone can make a suggestion...

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    muchspl2
    Originally posted by justin_9733@4 November 2003 - 07:55
    a firewall just protects you from random hackers to have access to your computer & you gave your BT client access (as you should if you want to download) but, you should import the bad ip list in for maximum effectiveness, at the very least have pg running, but its always better to have it block ip&#39;s at the firewall level

these problems always trace back to the person not being totaled prepared

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Can anyone confirm if this will actually work...
    Introduction
    This document describes how to get BT to work through an HTTP Proxy. Please note that this will only tunnel tracker communication through a proxy server, not the transfers themselves. This will work with burst&#33;, and both the Official and the Experimental clients (I don&#39;t know about BT++, I don&#39;t use it).

For more information on the topic of proxies, including how to get things to work with an NTLM-authenticating proxy, see Brian Dessent&#39;s excellent BTFaq

Be sure to read below if you are behind a Coporate Firewall

Windows 2000/XP
    Open "Control Panel"
    Double Click "System"
    Click the "Advanced" tab
    Click on "Enviroment Variables"
    Under "System Variables", click New
    Set Variable Name to http_proxy
    Set Variable Value to "http://user:pass@proxyip:port" (without the quotes; substitute your values in where appropriate)
    Click OK, OK, OK

You may or may not have to reboot before settings take effect.

Windows 95/98/ME
    Click on Start then Run
    Type in "msconfig" without the quotes, click OK
    Select the "Autoexec.bat" tab
    Click on "New"
    Type in "SET http_proxy=http://user:pass@proxyip:port" (without the quotes; substitute your values in where appropriate)
    Click OK, OK

You WILL have to reboot before this setting takes effect.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by muchspl2+4 November 2003 - 01:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (muchspl2 @ 4 November 2003 - 01:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-justin_9733@4 November 2003 - 07:55
    a firewall just protects you from random hackers to have access to your computer & you gave your BT client access (as you should if you want to download) but, you should import the bad ip list in for maximum effectiveness, at the very least have pg running, but its always better to have it block ip&#39;s at the firewall level

these problems always trace back to the person not being totaled prepared [/b][/quote]
    i just got pg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast