Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watching Vcd And Svcd On Pc

kooky_kramer's Avatar Poster
    hi,

i have a few VCD and SVCD movies that i watch on my DVD player, and i would like to watch them on my computer. The problem is my computer freezes when i try to play them. I have tried different movies and they are all the same.

i thought the problem might be because i was trying to read a single large file off the CD drive, but the computer also freezes when i try to copy the files to the hard-drive, and i am able to watch DiVXs strate from the CD drive so maybe it isnt the large files

Im using WMP9. Do i need a codec ?? or a different type of player ??

thanks

PS - computer specs in my sig

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    muchspl2
    WMP9 IS THE WOREST AND IT HAS drm, GET HTTP://WWW.VIDEOLAN.ORG

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    id it crashes your pc sounds like the cds are kinda corrupt. i would run the file through virtualdub and see what it says.

and videolan will probably play them since it is kinda nifty with broken files.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by muchspl2@3 November 2003 - 22:15
    whats drm?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Marius24+4 November 2003 - 00:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Marius24 &#064; 4 November 2003 - 00:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-muchspl2@3 November 2003 - 22:15
    whats drm? [/b][/quote]
    dick raPing monsters

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    muchspl2
    Originally posted by Marius24@4 November 2003 - 00:23

whats drm?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/drm.aspx

it as bad as it gets

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    thanks for the responses. Im downloading videolan now, ill let you know if it fixes my problem

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by muchspl2+3 November 2003 - 15:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (muchspl2 &#064; 3 November 2003 - 15:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Marius24@4 November 2003 - 00:23

whats drm?

it as bad as it gets [/b][/quote]
    i&#39;m not seeing the part where DRM makes WMP bad. DRM only works with movies and music encoded with Microsoft codecs, like that WMV version of Terminator 2 (it&#39;s super high resolution & bitrate-- they recommend a 3ghz CPU and 128mb video card just to play it) that was included on the last reissue of the T2 DVD.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...drm/codecs.aspx

as far as i can tell, DRM only applies when something is encoded with a Microsoft codec and has DRM specifically added to the file. am i missing something?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+4 November 2003 - 12:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 4 November 2003 - 12:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by muchspl2@3 November 2003 - 15:58
    <!--QuoteBegin-Marius24
    @4 November 2003 - 00:23

whats drm?

it as bad as it gets
    i&#39;m not seeing the part where DRM makes WMP bad. DRM only works with movies and music encoded with Microsoft codecs, like that WMV version of Terminator 2 (it&#39;s super high resolution & bitrate-- they recommend a 3ghz CPU and 128mb video card just to play it) that was included on the last reissue of the T2 DVD.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...drm/codecs.aspx

as far as i can tell, DRM only applies when something is encoded with a Microsoft codec and has DRM specifically added to the file. am i missing something? [/b][/quote]
    Yeah&#33;..and wmp&#39;s one of the best for playing mpegs or windvd.

@k k

On the cd there should be a large dat file.You could tri and copy that to your hd,,and just open it with wmp.Or rename the extension to mpg and play it with anything.If it want copy just run the dat file from cd.You could also disable auto run on all your drives may stop the crashing.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    thanks for all your replies. Videolan plays the VCD/SVCD straight from the CD without any problem at all, so problem solved

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast