Page 502 of 603 FirstFirst ... 2402452492499500501502503504505512552602 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,020 of 6024

Thread: Last one to post wins the internets

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Not that I'm a fan of the movement but....

Jay Z, Michael Moore cash in on Occupy

As it says on their “about” page
    (Occupy Wall Street) is fighting back against the corrosive power of major banks and multinational corporations (and) aims to expose how the richest 1% of people are writing the rules of an unfair global economy.
    “Yeeaahh”, says Michael Moore, who addressed an Occupy crowd in Denver last week and railed against “greedy” corporations. Though, to be fair, that isn’t why he went to Denver in the first place.
    Moore was in Denver on a tour to promote his $27 memoir, ‘Here Comes Trouble: Stories from My Life.’
    By the way that book is published by Grand Central Publishing, a subdivision of the French company Hachette, which is the second largest publisher in the world. Hachette is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Lagardère Group, a multinational conglomerate headquartered in Paris which does business in nearly 40 countries. Among other things they hold a 7.5% stake in EADS, a global defense and military contractor, which absorbed the Lagardère subsidiary Aérospatiale-Matra, a French missile and aircraft manufacturer.
    Jay-Z ,the millionaire rapper and entrepreneur is launching a line of Occupy Wall Street-themed t-shirts featuring the phrase “Occupy All Streets,” that go on sale on Jay-Z’s Rocawear website on Friday.But the genius behind “99 Problems” isn’t sharing the profits with the 99 percent. A spokesperson from Rocawear told Business Insider in a statement that the company has not “made an official commitment” to support the movement financially.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Lounge   -   #5012
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Why the fuck should Jay-Z share his income with the 99%? He went from rags to riches, he earned it and shouldn't be entitled to give it away to dole blugers.

Btw, not a fan of Jay-Z as an artist.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

3. Lounge   -   #5013
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I think the point trying to be made was that it's sort of incredibly cuntish to use a movement solely created to battle corporate greed to further pad one's pockets.
    I also think regardless of Jay-Z's difficult beginnings that you have a very loose interpretation of "earned".
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Lounge   -   #5014
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Why the fuck should Jay-Z share his income with the 99%? He went from rags to riches, he earned it and shouldn't be entitled to give it away to dole blugers.
    Well. That's exactly what people who earn money do. They give a portion of it to the unemployed.
    There's this new thing in the northern hemisphere called 'tax'. It seems to be catching on.

Btw, I might be away from the keyboard for quite some time. My eyes started bleeding when I read 'shouldn't be entitled to give it away'.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Lounge   -   #5015
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Well. That's exactly what people who earn money do. They give a portion of it to the unemployed.
    There's this new thing in the northern hemisphere called 'tax'. It seems to be catching on.

Btw, I might be away from the keyboard for quite some time. My eyes started bleeding when I read 'shouldn't be entitled to give it away'.
    On another note, what is a bluger ?
    Last edited by Artemis; 11-14-2011 at 11:16 PM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. Lounge   -   #5016
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

On another note, what is a bluger ?
    Should be a d in there somewhere.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

7. Lounge   -   #5017

Ahh yes the tax, which usually ends up in welfare anyway. Not sure what the welfare system is like where you are but it's a fucking joke here.

8. Lounge   -   #5018
    manker's Avatar effendi

Ahh yes the tax, which usually ends up in welfare anyway. Not sure what the welfare system is like where you are but it's a fucking joke here.
    It seems to work okay here. In fact, it works so well that hundreds of thousands of people have realised that they're better off giving up their jobs and being unemployed.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. Lounge   -   #5019
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    It seems to work okay here. In fact, it works so well that hundreds of thousands of people have realised that they're better off giving up their jobs and being unemployed.
    Many people on welfare are "earning" more than I do right now. I could almost go all in if it weren't for the fact that it's not really sustainable to suit my personal interests.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

10. Lounge   -   #5020
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I think the point trying to be made was that it's sort of incredibly cuntish to use a movement solely created to battle corporate greed to further pad one's pockets.
    Sssshhhhh. Next thing you know, someone will go exploiting Woodstock.

On a more serious note, I did find it interesting that M. Moore is connected to such large corporate interests, but then (roughly 3 seconds later) I realized that it is a necessary evil when one wants to get their message distributed to "the masses". I don't have a problem with him (or anyone else) making money, nor do I take issue with distribution channels being connected to large corporations. That is, as long as the desired messages are not edited, nor censored by such distributors.

If Moore had chosen to keep his films "grass roots" no one would have ever heard of him. I find his films at least worthy of consideration. If he has "sold out" then his new films will contain substantially different story lines.

Jay-Z is a bit different, IMO. However, this could be from the fact that he is nothing more than a recognizable name to me. I cannot name one of his songs, and have no idea if he has ever expressed similar "anti-corporate greed" messages in his music. His quick efforts to grab some t-shirt cash seem odorous in such an environment, though. However Robinhood-like he may be, I am certain his record company/distributors are equally connected to Big Business, too.

Is it possible for anyone (pure intentions assumed) to get their message out without relying on corporate interests at some point in their careers? Is it possible for anyone to stay "pure"? Is it wrong for these individuals to make money while expressing their uncensored views?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.