Thread: Upgrading Or Building A Notebook

Poster
    im saving to buy a notebook and i think itd be cheaper if i could build a notebook. is it possible?

also i was going to buy an alright notebook. ive heard you cant do that either. is it true?

U RNT LEET LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    its possibelt o built it, but i doubt it would b any cheaper as it would be quite hard to get hold of the parts,

upgrading parts, u can upgrade the hdd, ram, and cdrom and thats aboutit really.
    oh and battery,

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    dam, i want to upgrade the processor

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    it may be possible, but imnot to sure.

looks possible http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UT...processor&meta=

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Building your own notebook isn't something practical to do. Unless you have money and lots and lots of time to kill, don't do it.

As for self upgrades, the newest technology allows for Video card swapping (I think thats out, the New Alienware). You can add your own internal HDD's for the most part and the other things Livy said. If you want to upgrade a processor your genrally have to send it back to your OEM. If you try to upgrade something like that yourself you'll also void your warranty.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by Schuler@4 November 2003 - 22:35
    As for self upgrades, the newest technology allows for Video card swapping (I think thats out, the New Alienware).
    i was gonna add that, but i didnt really think it was relative as he was talking about a particular machine.
    yeah the only system ive seen them on is the new alienware ones.

pretty usefull 2.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    This thread, from just a few days ago should help.

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=79029

I got it just by searching for laptop.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    also i was going to buy an alright notebook. ive heard you cant do that either. is it true?
    It depends on the meaning of alright. Right now I'd lean towards the Pentium M laptops. Pentium M is almost synonomous with Centrino but a Centrino is a package with Pentium M, with a Motherboard and Integrated Wireless in it -- meaning you don't have a little card sticking out from a PCMIA slot. If you only want an 'alright' laptop this gives you great battery life, and depending on the type of laptop you get you can run games decently. Do not be fooled by it's 1.4-1.6gHz label because they're just as good.

If you want a really cheapo one, I noticed Dell has some laptops -- starting from 700 -- that will get the surfing the web, e-mail, wordprocessing type thing job done.

I ordered my laptop from a "no-name" brand called Sager, who gets their parts from Clevo (formally the copamny that shipped parts to Alienware). They have some powerful notebooks at very reasonable prices. www.sagernotebooks.com.
    I bought mine from http://pctorque.com, which had prices lower than Sagers normal site.

Look around, if you're not a heavy gamer or have some money to spend you can get a Radeon 9000 or some Nvidia go cards in your centrino's. Battery life is also very nice. Hope this helps

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    ok thanks