Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep Track Of Your Filenames

Hi all- I just wanted to pass this along, since it seems like there are a LOT of files out there that have one name, even though they are by another band, or they are a different song.
    I was looking for some songs by a band called WildSide- a hair band from the 80's-90's. Couldnt find any of them on KL, several nights in a row. So I decided since nobody has them, I'd rip the CD, and give peeps access to a really good (my opinion) band.

Well, one of the tracks on the album is called "Hair of the Dog" (which is not a remake of Queen's, btw). So after I got done ripping, I opened up KL, went to MyKazaalite k++ to start editing the info about the songs.
    What did I find? KL had AUTOMATICALLY assigned this song as being by......QUEEN. Needless to say, I didnt want peeps thinking they were gonna get a Queen song, and then not get it. Or, not take the song because they want WildSide, and think it's Queen. So, I right clicked it, and changed the info.

Getting songs that are called one thing by KL, and turn out to be something else, is really fricken annoying, to a LOT of people. And just changing the filename of the song, doesnt change the info that KL tags to it. You have to go into My Kazaa Lite, which brings up everything in your shared folder. Then you click each one, and below it, it gives a list of all of the info that KL has tagged to it. You can change what it says about the file, by right clicking on the file, and choose EDIT DETAILS.

If we can keep some of these titles straightened out, its gonna give peeps one less thing to be unhappy about. And yeah...I went through over 430 files tonight, making sure that everything was what it was supposed to be. If I can, we all can.

(Btw- thanks MM for telling me how to edit that information&#33

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    I agree with u and good tip. i ran into the same issue about a month ago with 5 band from the 80's and had to follow what u said. Yes, clean up the tags and change them accordingly.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Just trying to do my part, when and where I can

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Firstly, what did you use to rip the tracks?

It sounds to me like the problem is not KL. AFAIK, KL does not automatically assign artist names. More likely, your ripping software did a CDDB lookup which returned the wrong results.

I suspect if you look at the ID3 tag of the mp3 file it will say Queen as well. You should really change this too.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    isn't klite reading and writing ID3 tags on mp3s?

if not where does it get/store the meta-data it uses?

i didn't know that klite re-tagged any files?! does it ever write meta data without intervention?

ie shouldn't fixing the ID3 solve the issue (or is kazaa doing something else?)
    [In my Sig there's a link to a very handy ID3 tool mp3tag]

does anyone know if we should be using version 1 or version 2 of ID3?
    which version is kazaa using?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    When you edit the details in kazaa (lite) you are editing the details as stored in the .dbb files in the DB folder of the kazaa (lite) installation.

The entries in this database get defaulted from the ID3 tag (I don't know which version, 1 or 2) when you add stuff to your shared folder, but kazaa (lite) never writes back any amendments to the ID3 tag, AFAIK.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    it sounds to me as if the software you used to rip the cd has the auto look up cddb enabled. it probably looked up the wrong tag when you loaded the cd to rip it and tagged it with out your knowledge.
    i use MusicMatch 7.2 to organize, add album art, rename, rip(actually i just started ripping w/CDEX[great software] cuz it lets you use the LAME encoder along wit many others[Fraunhoffer too ]) all my MP3's!!!! once they are ripped and tagged (by MMJB) my version of Kazaa reads the taggs exactly as they are in musicmatch....no prob! i agree in saying that tagggging correctly is essential and perhaps with the use of MMJB, WinAmp, and many other quality juke box software we can make file sharing more organized than it ever has been. (hahaha right&#33
    on another note, what quality bitrate do you people rip your mp3's at. all ive heard the past few weeks is that you don't want any less than 192kps VBR if possible. i used to rip at 128kps and i did notice quite a difff when i switched to 160kps, but i really can' t hear the difference between 160kps CBR & 192kps VBR.
    what bitrate do you guys rip at?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by iHadYourMomLastNight+6 November 2003 - 10:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (iHadYourMomLastNight @ 6 November 2003 - 10:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> on another note, what quality bitrate do you people rip your mp3's at.&nbsp; all ive heard the past few weeks is that you don't want any less than 192kps VBR if possible.&nbsp; i used to rip at 128kps and i did notice quite a difff when i switched to 160kps, but i really can' t&nbsp; hear the difference between 160kps CBR & 192kps VBR.
    what bitrate do you guys rip at?[/b]

lame --alt-preset standard
    it seems to encode at between 160-192 and higher at variable bitrate, depending on the data. B)

PS :: ripping is getting audio CDs onto hard disk, encoding is making a compressed version of a rip.

Originally posted by barbarossa@ 6 November 2003 - 01:13

&nbsp; When you edit the details in kazaa (lite) you are editing the details as stored in the .dbb files in the DB folder of the kazaa (lite) installation.
    i can't find any DB folder in my K++ install

<!--QuoteBegin-Exploring - Kazaa Lite K++

C:\Program Files\Kazaa Lite K++
    C:\Program Files\Kazaa Lite K++\BannedIPs
    C:\Program Files\Kazaa Lite K++\Kazupernodes
    C:\Program Files\Kazaa Lite K++\Kazupernodes\Data
    C:\Program Files\Kazaa Lite K++\Skins
    C:\Program Files\Kazaa Lite K++\web
    [/quote]

but since i can't find them and K++ still works fine, i don't know what you mean
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 09:56 AM.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    @Echidna:

Try C://Documents and Settings/<whoever you are>/Application Data/Kazaa Lite

@IHadYOurMomLastNight:

I too used to rip at 128 because at the time I hadn&#39;t got alot of disk space. Now I rip at 192, but I&#39;m happy to download stuff at 160 because I can&#39;t really tell the difference between 160 and 192 either, although I can now tell the difference between that and 128.

There&#39;s no point in encoding at 320 like some people do, because the human ear is not sensitive enough to benefit from the improvement, the only thing that will appreciate that is your dog&#33;&#33;

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by barbarossa@6 November 2003 - 10:54

There's no point in encoding at 320 like some people do, because the human ear is not sensitive enough to benefit from the improvement, the only thing that will appreciate that is your dog!!

Please ignore that, my brother has ears like a dog and always encodes at 320 or 256
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 09:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast