Thread: Dvd Player Sideffects

Bebi's Avatar Super Duper Member
    I bought a region 2 dvd player and got a multiregion hack off the internet (happy days) so I put the disc in, and set the settings of detecting the disk to "Auto" so it wont give me the "Not Pal" message on ntsc dvd's, now for the downer, anything not region 2 is in black and white even the menu's of the dvd, and if I set it back to PAL it cant play the DVD, can anyone help? my DVD player is Toshiba DVD Player SD125E , I suppose I shouldnt be whining being able to view the DVD at all but all my friends have multicrackedregion and they have colour, it was for another DVD player(Toshiba SD 220-E) but they say it works on my type too, it did but I got side-effects. the hack was a firmware upgrade disk.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    firmware upgrade that doest sound good coz its playing round with the softwear, if i was u i would go over to dvdrhelp.com and sak them
    [COLOR=red] [SIZE=14]Doing it My Way Now

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Originally posted by Bebi@5 November 2003 - 10:36
    The Update CD does not modify the firmware – it only updates some setting and that’s why this single CD will work with a number of different DVD models (Toshiba’s of course but nothing older than 120/220) irrespective of firmware version. So no chance of messing up the firmware! (that’s the theory anyway)

I checked my firmware before and after running the update CD. Nothing changed so obviously the firmware was not updated.

To Identify the firmwareRom Version
    Zoom , 6 , 0 , 6 , Zoom

For my player, which I bought 1st week in Aug 2003.
    Boot Room Version: v1.300
    Main Room version: v1.700 - R2
    OSD: Eng/Fre/Ger/Spa/Ita
    V-FORMAT: PAL/AUTO
    Dimmer: Normal/Dimmed/Off
    SRV: MK2

The update itself took exactly 9 secs.

The following link for an uncorrupted version of the Region-Free CD (the file on the original French site file is corrupted)
    http://koti.mbnet.fi/~uheng/sd220e.rar

Or search via emule/edonkey.

You must Write the CD in DAO (Disk at once mode – not track at once) Use Nero or CDRWin etc.

Instructions
    Switch on DVD Player
    Press SETUP
    Under the Picture option Change the Pal/Auto setting to Auto
    Press SETUP again to return to main screen.
    Insert the Update CD.
    CD will spin Up.
    The following images were displayed
    ’Nabe the Wiz’ (Could have been ‘Mabe the Wiz’ it came up only for a few seconds) and then ends with ‘FIN’
    Remove CD.
    Switch DVD Player On/Off to make sure it isn’t still trying to update.
    And way you go… region free
    I dont think it messed with the firmware, this is the instructions I followed

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    i duno wot it could be then i was guna say check your scart lead but u say it only does the black and white thing with ntsc discs
    [COLOR=red] [SIZE=14]Doing it My Way Now

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    well anything thats not region 2, not specified to ntsc

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    BANNED
    I didnt see this one here.... I just posted this in hardware

Mate its nothing to do with the firmware or anything like that ..so be carefull you dont kill your player.Its either your tvs an oldie which isnt capable of a ntsc signal(which is most likely the one) or you set the player up wrong.On the old mod chips before the hacks there used to be a 50'60hz feature,,especially for older & incompatible tvs.If you do a search on goggle for sites that do modchips for dvdplayers,,you will be able to find some kind of adapter cheap or next to nothing.But check all the menus and switches on the back of he player first.Or it maybe possible to loop through your vcr.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Originally posted by ck-uk@5 November 2003 - 13:28
    Its either your tvs an oldie which isnt capable of a ntsc signal(which is most likely the one)
    but when I had my dvd set to PAL it worked in colour (not the region 1,an svcd I had burnt off suprnova) but when I set my dvd player to Auto it was in black & white so I set it back and it worked fine, so if I have it set to auto for region 1 it plays in black & white and if I have it set to pal it will not play whatever saying "Not PAL" so either I watch it oldie style or not at all so its probly the DVD itself is for ntsc tv's, so does that mean I cant play any region 1 at all?

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    BANNED
    No mate if you watched a ntsc svcd any ntsc should play fine.The region code has nothing to do with pal/ntsc signal its just a regional protection.Al i can say is you have a setting or switch incorrect.Also look for settings like quassi pal.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    I dont think it was an ntsc (svcd)dvd since it played fine on PAL and b&w on Auto but if i try to play an offiicial dvd on region 1 it says its not pal and if its Auto its in b&w

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    BANNED
    Well tri some like svcd in ntsc and if its black&white too its like i said about your tv.Just get one of them converter or a new tv.You can find small svcd ntsc images on dvdrhelp.com save you downloading a full movie.