Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partition

I want to Partition my hard drive in no more than 3 partitions. How many partitions should I have,what should I dedicate each partition for and how big should I make each etc...........

P.S. I have a seagate 80gb hard drive!
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Msi ms-6330
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    MSI 52X32X52 CD-RW (cr52-m)
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Creative Labs 5.1 Speakers
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Well if you want to have them even sizes it will be about 27gb each partition.

I dont understand what your asking

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I am asking , how many partitions should I have and how should I organize the files in them? Example: 1 for games 1 for programs and 1 for windows. But I dont want to partition it with those partitions because I dont install that many games?
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I am asking , how many partitions should I have and how should I organize the files in them? Example: 1 for games 1 for programs and 1 for windows. But I dont want to partition it with those partitions because I dont install that many games?

?
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Retired
    I have a 60GB disk,

1 -> 40 GB for windows, programs, games
    2 -> 20 GB for my mp3&#39;s, backups

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Me 80 GB. 30 for windows and program files, and 50ish for media (music mostly)

There&#39;s no real benefit in giving Windows its own partition; it might suffer very slightly less from fragmentation, but will take up more space, and if you need to reinstall windows. You&#39;d also need to reinstall most of your progs as the registry entries will be lost.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    There&#39;s no real benefit in giving Windows its own partition; it might suffer very slightly less from fragmentation, but will take up more space, and if you need to reinstall windows. You&#39;d also need to reinstall most of your progs as the registry entries will be lost.
    There is a benifit mate.if windows has its own partition with media on the other say if you have two,,if you need to format you just format windows and your media is safe on the other.As for programs every few days or weeks image the system and put the file on the other partition or dvd.If you need to format,,format and just put a boot disk in and run norton and restore the image with everything back to when you imaged it.Or you can make your own bootable image cd which is better than installing xp.Put the cd in it&#39;ll boot and restore the image itself in about 1-2mins.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Ok I think I might go with the 30gb for windows,programs,and games , and 50 for all downloads and backups. Any opinions?
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by ck-uk@6 November 2003 - 15:11
    There is a benifit mate.if windows has its own partition with media on the other say if you have two,,if you need to format you just format windows and your media is safe on the other.As for programs every few days or weeks image the system and put the file on the other partition or dvd.If you need to format,,format and just put a boot disk in and run norton and restore the image with everything back to when you imaged it.Or you can make your own bootable image cd which is better than installing xp.Put the cd in it&#39;ll boot and restore the image itself in about 1-2mins.
    Sorry, i didn&#39;t explain that very well. When i say there&#39;s no benefit giving Windows its own partition, i mean just that. So maybe a 5 gig partition with nothing else but the OS. I tried that out for a while and found no real performance increase. But yeah sure, a partition for all your media is the way to go.

@Triadcool. It all depends on whether you want to install loads of apps and games (30 gigs goes a long way), or are more into having, for example, a huge mp3 collection. If the worst comes to worst and you change your mind later, you can always use partition magic to tweak your partition sizes.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    BANNED
    imo 1o to 20 gig is pleanty for your os, you don&#39;t even need that much use the rest for your programs + documents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast