Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocked, Paranoid Or Not

bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Ok, here’s the deal, I've got a Athlon XP 2500, overclocked to 2.2 ghz.

At load, the bios will usually say the Temp is around 50 C, now after getting Windows loaded, I use a few programs to monitor the Temp,

Hardware Monitor keeps it around 35 C,
    Sisandra will show anywhere from 17-30 C.
    And when I run AIDA32, it shows it at 93 C, but I know this one is wrong, because it has never shown anything but 93 C, even before I overclocked, and my bios is set to shutdown the system at 85 C, so this has to be wrong.

Anyway, after getting all these different temps, I'm starting to get a bit concerned that my sensors on my Mobo aren't working correctly, and I'm afraid my CPU may overheat.

What do you think, Do you think this is normal, or am I right to be Paranoid?
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    First of all HOW DO YOU OVER CLOCK YOUR PROCESSOR? I have AMD ATHLON 2000 + XP 1.6 GHZ

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    You can change your FSB and/or Cpu Core Voltage.
    Depending on what Mobo your using, it sometimes is simple, sometime not as simple,

Just do a search, on the fourms, I'm sure there are many posts on how to overclock, or try www.overclockers.com

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    it's pretty obvious your sensors are messed... so instead of trying to figure that out, we'll try to figure out if you have enough cooling...

what type of fans do you have?

personally i have a volcano nine hsf, five case fans, and a top blowhole and my temps are 33C idle and 41C load.

as long as you aren't running stock hsf and have a good amount of air moving through your case, you should be ok.

rk

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    your bios is likely to be most accurate some of these monitoring program never work, btw what motherbaord have you got and are you using a stock hsf? if so get it chaged mate

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I'm using a cheaper Coolermaster HSF, I think its just called a cooler.
    I have a chaintech 7NIF2 mobo.
    I also have a fan in the front, blowing in, fan on top blowing out, fan on side blowing out, and the of course the power supply fan.

I think I've got it, though. I kept rebooting, and checking the temp in the bios, then I'd go and use Hardware Monitor, and at full load it shows 45 C.

And the bios, seems to be showing about the same, sometimes a bit more, but not much. then at idle Hardware Monitor is staying around 30-35C, so I'm thinking it's probably showing correctly.

However, I think, I'm going to buy another hsf, just to be one the safe side.
    May decreace the fsb, though, until I get the new hsf.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    your idle temp and your load temp shouldnt be so far apart...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Kunal@6 November 2003 - 17:35
    For an overclocked system, this is wrong.

In a system running at normal speeds (ie not overclocked) that may well be true, but in an overclocked system the amount of heat produced at idle will not be much more than the normal system, but at full load the heat produced will be far in excess of that of the normal system. The can be only one consequence of this - much higher temps at full load.

I would say you have a pretty stable system, but I would also recommend trying to reduce the overall temps. The only way to do this is to reduce both the load temp and the idle temp, but you will still have a much bigger idle/load temp gap than a normal system.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx+6 November 2003 - 19:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 6 November 2003 - 19:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Kunal@6 November 2003 - 17:35
    For an overclocked system, this is wrong.

In a system running at normal speeds (ie not overclocked) that may well be true, but in an overclocked system the amount of heat produced at idle will not be much more than the normal system, but at full load the heat produced will be far in excess of that of the normal system. The can be only one consequence of this - much higher temps at full load.

I would say you have a pretty stable system, but I would also recommend trying to reduce the overall temps. The only way to do this is to reduce both the load temp and the idle temp, but you will still have a much bigger idle/load temp gap than a normal system. [/b][/quote]
    oh well never mind im wrong (once agian&#33

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Just open hardware monitor and adjust the temps in it.Right click on the icon and then choose settings and then click on the advanced tab and there is a temp correction setting in there.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast