Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Have This Happen To Them?

Has anyone else had anything like happen to them.
    I received an email from my ISP telling me that my service will be shut-off at the request of symantec because i was caught sharing norton firewall 2003. here's most of the original message from symantec to my isp:

BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

I am writing on behalf of Symantec Corporation. Symantec owns the trademarks and holds the copyrights for numerous computer software products, including but not limited to a suite of computer utility and antivirus software products under the U.S. registered trademarks NORTON SYSTEMWORKS® and NORTON ANTIVIRUS®, and other software bearing the "Norton" or "Symantec" brand names. Symantec also holds the registered trademark in the U.S. and other countries for its name, SYMANTEC®. Symantec's rights are evidenced by, among other things, registrations of its trademarks and copyrights with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the United States Copyright Office.

As you know, unauthorized use of Symantec's trademarks, and unauthorized copying and/or distribution of Symantec's copyrighted works, is a violation of federal and state laws. It is illegal to produce, sell or distribute such unauthorized works.

Symantec has been notified that "*** communications" provides Internet access for the IP address listed below. We have determined that unauthorized copying and distribution of one or more of our products (Please see evidence below), is taking place from that address. Such distribution is not authorized by Symantec, its agents or the law and thus constitutes infringement.

Based on the above, the deliberate and clear infringement of Symantec's protected copyright and trademark rights, and the harm to Symantec's business and goodwill from the infringing use, Symantec demands that you immediately investigate and take action to stop this infringing activity, and inform us of the results of your actions. Symantec believes that the entire Internet community benefits when these matters are resolved cooperatively. Accordingly, we appreciate your efforts toward this common goal.

The information contained in this notification is accurate. Under penalty of perjury, the undersigned is authorized to act on behalf of Symantec with respect to this matter.

Please be advised that this letter is not and is not intended to be a complete statement of the facts or law as they may pertain to this matter or to Symantec's positions, rights or remedies, legal or equitable, all of which are specifically reserved.

Thank you very much for your immediate assistance regarding this matter, and please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Originally posted by slplsnphx@6 November 2003 - 20:35
    As you know
    interesting word choice...
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Gud Choice 4 your first post...

how ever i think this is Scar mongering....

I think slplsnphx works 4 Symantec

I never beleive any thing like this, especially when it’s sum 1n’s first post

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    I know someone who got a letter from them guys last year cos he had norton in his shared folder

didnt bother him tho and he just carried on

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by MetroStars@6 November 2003 - 22:31

i thing u need a dickshunary.l

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by MetroStars@6 November 2003 - 22:31

And I think you&#39;re an idiot&#33;&#33; I don&#39;t work for symantec.
    Here&#39;s the entire email I got from my isp last night:

Dear Customer,

We are writing on behalf of ****** Communications to advise you that we have received a notification that you are using your ****** High Speed Internet service to post or transmit material that infringes the copyrights of a complainant&#39;s members. We have included a copy of the complaint letter. Pursuant to the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), which is codified at 17 U.S.C. § 512, upon receiving such notification, ****** is required to "act expeditiously to remove, or disable access to" the infringing material in order to avoid liability for any alleged copyright infringement. Accordingly, ****** will suspend your account and disable your connection to the Internet within 24 hours of your receipt of this email if the offending material is not removed.

Please be aware that the DMCA also provides procedures by which a subscriber accused of copyright violation can respond to the allegations of infringement and, under certain circumstances, cause his or her account to be reinstated. To do so, however, the response must meet certain criteria. Pursuant to section (g) of the DMCA (17 U.S.C. § 512(g)), you have the right to submit to ****** a counter-notification which, to be effective, must include the following elements:

(a) a physical or electronic signature of the subscriber;
    (b) identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or disabled;
    &copy; a statement under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled;
    (d) the subscriberÂ&#39;s name, address, and telephone number and a statement that the subscriber consents to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located.

In the event that you submit to ****** a counter-notification that includes these elements, ****** will forward your counter notification to the complainant and advise them that ****** will cease disabling access to the allegedly infringing material in ten (10) business days. Unless the complainant notifies us that it has filed an action seeking a court order to restrain you from engaging in the allegedly infringing activity prior to the expiration of those ten (10) business days, ****** will reactivate your account.

Sincerely,

The ****** Abuse Team

--- Original Message ---
    Reply-To: [email protected]
    To: abuse@******.net
    Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:15:56 -0800
    Subject: SYMC Product Download/P2P Notice to ISP : [Notice ID: *******], Case
    ID: <<CaseID>>

[Part 0 (plain text)]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

I am writing on behalf of Symantec Corporation. Symantec owns the trademarks and holds the copyrights for numerous computer software products, including but not limited to a suite of computer utility and antivirus software products under the U.S. registered trademarks NORTON SYSTEMWORKS® and NORTON ANTIVIRUS®, and other software bearing the "Norton" or "Symantec" brand names. Symantec also holds the registered trademark in the U.S. and other countries for its name, SYMANTEC®. Symantec&#39;s rights are evidenced by, among other things, registrations of its trademarks and copyrights with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the United States Copyright Office.

As you know, unauthorized use of Symantec&#39;s trademarks, and unauthorized copying and/or distribution of Symantec&#39;s copyrighted works, is a violation of federal and state laws. It is illegal to produce, sell or distribute such unauthorized works.

Symantec has been notified that ****** Communications provides Internet access for the IP address listed below. We have determined that unauthorized copying and distribution of one or more of our products (Please see evidence below), is taking place from that address. Such distribution is not authorized by Symantec, its agents or the law and thus constitutes infringement.

Based on the above, the deliberate and clear infringement of Symantec&#39;s protected copyright and trademark rights, and the harm to Symantec&#39;s business and goodwill from the infringing use, Symantec demands that you immediately investigate and take action to stop this infringing activity, and inform us of the results of your actions. Symantec believes that the entire Internet community benefits when these matters are resolved cooperatively. Accordingly, we appreciate your efforts toward this common goal.

The information contained in this notification is accurate. Under penalty of perjury, the undersigned is authorized to act on behalf of Symantec with respect to this matter.

Please be advised that this letter is not and is not intended to be a complete statement of the facts or law as they may pertain to this matter or to Symantec&#39;s positions, rights or remedies, legal or equitable, all of which are specifically reserved.

Thank you very much for your immediate assistance regarding this matter, and please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Chansonette Connolly
    Manager, Worldwide Brand Protection
    Legal Department
    Symantec Corporation
    20330 Stevens Creek Blvd.
    Cupertino, CA 95014
    Email: [email protected]

*pgp public key is available on the key server at ldap://keyserver.pgp.com
    Notice ID: ******

Notice ID: ******
    Title:Norton Personal Firewall 2003
    Infringement Source:FastTrack
    Initial Infringement Timestamp:2 Nov 2003 09:10:08 GMT
    Recent Infringement Timestamp:2 Nov 2003 09:10:08 GMT
    Infringement Address: **.***.***.***
    Infringement Site: **.***.***.***
    Infringer Username:sixela58@KaZaA
    Infringing Filename:Symantec_Norton_Personal_Firewall_2003_6.0-9RETAIL.exe
    Infringing Filesize:24410834

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 8.0

iQA/AwUBP6nnHFLuN+AO4uatEQKftACeOIBCkQoW7Cj5kl6SdDvzzoGTffwAn0hZ
    oLHg9Wk8k5Y8WyTvsbd0ysb6
    =ZU7i
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

As of yet my inernet is still up and running. But it&#39;s not 24 hours after i received the email either though. I guess I&#39;ll just wait and see.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    wow that stinks. i&#39;m glad i&#39;m with a local internet company that not too many people know about. i&#39;ve been sharing for years and have never gotten a letter.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Well, My connection is still up and running.

As for the title of my original post:
    Has anyone else had anything like happen to them.
    It seems not. I must be the unluckiest dumbass to ever use K-Lite or something. None of you guys have ever gotten, (or heard of anyone else getting) anything like I did for sharing a file on K-Lite??? Other than O&#39;neill of course. Maybe I should have posted the question as a poll&#33;?&#33;?&#33;?&#33;

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    I got the same message from my isp for norton antivirus 2004.

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=79092&hl=
    AOL 9.0 Now with top speed sarcasm that is 5x funnier than normal
    dial up sarcasm complete with AOL instant stalker.

AOL 9.0 with top speed and AOL instant stalker...more expensive than saffron but worth it&#33;

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by thedirtyd@6 November 2003 - 19:56
    wow that stinks. i&#39;m glad i&#39;m with a local internet company that not too many people know about. i&#39;ve been sharing for years and have never gotten a letter.
    I don&#39;t think that would change your chances of getting one.
    AOL 9.0 Now with top speed sarcasm that is 5x funnier than normal
    dial up sarcasm complete with AOL instant stalker.

AOL 9.0 with top speed and AOL instant stalker...more expensive than saffron but worth it&#33;

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast