Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter vs Twilight!

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    The whole concept behind vampirism is that it's a metaphor for sex.
    Not originally no. I once took a semester long course on vampires, but I really don't want to get into that right now, or ever.

All I can say is that I took the course for my interest in Slavic culture. The professor designed the course to try to trick more people to sign up for what was essentially a retooled Slavic culture class. I found the vampire lens rather pointless and counterproductive, but he did manage to bring in and and bore a room full of fat girls dressed in goth.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Movies & TV   -   #82
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    The whole concept behind vampirism is that it's a metaphor for sex.
    Not originally no. I once took a semester long course on vampires, but I really don't want to get into that right now, or ever.

All I can say is that I took the course for my interest in Slavic culture. The professor designed the course to try to trick more people to sign up for what was essentially a retooled Slavic culture class. I found the vampire lens rather pointless and counterproductive, but he did manage to bring in and and bore a room full of fat girls dressed in goth.
    I'm impressed that you managed to write that without saying that the course sucked.

Also you're probably going to say that the origin had something to do with trying to explain some aspect of death but as I think about sex constantly and about death very little (and then mostly when it applies to you) I like my theory better.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 04-30-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Movies & TV   -   #83
    I'm impressed that you managed to write that without saying that the course sucked.

Also you're probably going to say that the origin had something to do with trying to explain some aspect of death but as I think about sex constantly and about death very little (and then mostly when it applies to you) I like my theory better.
    But I like Slavic culture.

The modern vampire has really aggregated a mass of different perspectives and is mostly based on literary depictions. Of course the origins always have the component of death, but it also has heavy themes of spiritualism, superstition and the explanation of unexplained phenomenon. What was interesting about the course was reading about historical situations where people actually thought they existed, much like witches. Even more interesting was to see the notion survived into the 20th century, there was an article in the Srpski knijizevni glasnik (1923) by Čajkanović about vamps in Serbia.

The romanticization of vampires is recent, and the homosexualization of it is a very very recent thing.

4. Movies & TV   -   #84
    The romanticization of vampires is recent, and the homosexualization of it is a very very recent thing.
    I blame the internet for turning young people ghey.Actually that's not my original idea ,I took a University course on it so it has to be fact.
    Sort of like if I read it in a newspaper.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 05-01-2012 at 10:44 AM.

5. Movies & TV   -   #85
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3

But I like Slavic culture.

The modern vampire has really aggregated a mass of different perspectives and is mostly based on literary depictions. Of course the origins always have the component of death, but it also has heavy themes of spiritualism, superstition and the explanation of unexplained phenomenon. What was interesting about the course was reading about historical situations where people actually thought they existed, much like witches. Even more interesting was to see the notion survived into the 20th century, there was an article in the Srpski knijizevni glasnik (1923) by Čajkanović about vamps in Serbia.

I was actually discussing this the other day, well I was discussing witches the other day, or how women who were herbalists and natural healers were a threat to the power of the church, and the churches answer to break this power was to brand them as witches. Thus virtually all of the witch trials were politically motivated, to remove a competing healing practice. The logic behind some of the interrogation techniques was unique too. Take the dunking chair: the accused was strapped in the chair and immersed in water for 5 minutes, if she drowned she was innocent, if she floated she was a witch and was burned at the stake..... bit of a Hobson's choice that one.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. Movies & TV   -   #86
    I know MBM likes this one.

7. Movies & TV   -   #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I was actually discussing this the other day, well I was discussing witches the other day, or how women who were herbalists and natural healers were a threat to the power of the church, and the churches answer to break this power was to brand them as witches. Thus virtually all of the witch trials were politically motivated, to remove a competing healing practice. The logic behind some of the interrogation techniques was unique too. Take the dunking chair: the accused was strapped in the chair and immersed in water for 5 minutes, if she drowned she was innocent, if she floated she was a witch and was burned at the stake..... bit of a Hobson's choice that one.
    The church of course got involved with vampires as well.

8. Movies & TV   -   #88

The church of course got involved with vampires as well.
    And thank God too.I seriously don't know what we would do without the Crosses and Holy Water.

9. Movies & TV   -   #89
    Poster
    I don't like both but I think twilight is better

10. Movies & TV   -   #90
    Quote Originally Posted by SBI-boy View Post
    I don't like both but I think twilight is better
    Sorry, that's the wrong choice whilst disliking both.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast