Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defragging

Originally posted by Adster@7 November 2003 - 12:59
    ok who the f*ck is correct here

ive heard defragging can wear out your HD
    IM RIGHT!!! lol

De-Fragging is useful and pointless.

Defragin is only good(and even then its pretty usless) for servers or computers that u cant/dont shutdown, because shuting down your comp does the same thing as defraging so theres no point defraging usless your comp has been running for like weeks and you have been running many programs made by idiots.
    err NO this is un-true. Defragging is not particularly useful for computers that don’t shut down. It is recommended no other programs are used when defragging as the Drive gets used to its full potential to perform this process and even if the server has multiple drives, the processor's still get used fully to perform defragging.

It's absolutely neccesary to defrag quite regularly.
    It's not necessary but can be very useful depending on your use of the machine. If it didn’t take so dam long I would do it on a regular basis.

If you think about your registry and how it branches out like a 'tree'. When files are removed/installed/modified they can get placed at various levels on the 'tree', making them more difficult for Windows to find(slowing down disk access time).

Older hard disks will benefit more from defragging than most of the newer hard disks.

Defragging essentially picks up all the files and places them in a more compressed/logical fashion. The result is Windows can then launch/run/access programmes faster.
    100% CORRECT.
    Especially this bit "The result is Windows can then launch/run/access programmes faster."

However on newer drives and with today's Processors and Memory capacities it does not need to be run regularly unless you like to keep your system at top performance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    defragging isnt useless, fragemented files are very bad for your system and cause lots of problems, defragginf also increases the speed of your system, if you never defrag your pc and use it heavily for about a year your hdd will be working at something like 7% of it potential

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    i would say that if you don't have more than about 10 or 20gb of files, go for it. if you've got more than that, i think it's best just to own at least two hard drives. then you can dump all of the files from one drive to the other, format the empty drive if you feel so inclined, and then put the files back onto the drive at once. that ought to be much faster than defragging, and the effect should be similar.

or even simply partitioning a single hard drive in half would allow you to do what i've suggested. for instance, you partition an HD into a C: drive and a D: drive. if the C: drive gets fragmented, move your personal files off of it, over to the D: drive. then it shouldn't take long at all defragment C:. if D: is fragmented, just move everything to the C: drive, move it back to D: all at once, then D: shouldn't be fragmented too badly anymore.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    im not even gonna comment on the retarted posts by cotton, scoot and fr600

defraging puts all the bits of a file together, in a row, so they can be accesed faster, rather than seeking about the drive for the file, you may not notice it much, but leave it for ages and youll notice it, the more you do it, the shorter it takes and less there is to do.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by Livy@7 November 2003 - 16:15
    im not even gonna comment on the retarted posts by cotton, scoot and fr600
    well said mate

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    i dunno bout any 1 else but i tried to launch a game before and after defragging, the game (mohaash) loaded up 30 seconds faster on changing maps which to me is a huge difference.

and what livy said is 100% rite

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Oh, FFS.

Get Defragmenter Pro Plus from HERE and do it properly.

You will notice a difference.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    Originally posted by Smurfette@7 November 2003 - 21:24
    Oh, FFS.

Get Defragmenter Pro Plus from HERE and do it properly.

You will notice a difference.
    ill stick to norton speed disk, thanks for the offer anyways mate

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by Adster@7 November 2003 - 10:53
    I know what it does but I don't know what it does if you know what I mean
    OK. I hate when people say that. Well, guess what i dont know what u mean. If you say what you mean, I ll be able to know what you mean (no offence, dude, nothing personal). But also, your whole sentence is pretty ... F* up ?

Anyway, in my opinion it is usefull to defrag. U ought to defrag if you do a lot of downloading (big files) a lot of burninng and deleting afterwords.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    Originally posted by Adster@7 November 2003 - 09:53
    is it pointless to defrag??

I fidn it doesn;d do anything different for me

I know what it does but I don't know what it does if you know what I mean
    Wait a second i think we are talkin about 2 different defags here, you guys are talking about HD defraging and im talking about ram defraging!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast