Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defragging

what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    is it pointless to defrag??

I fidn it doesn;d do anything different for me

I know what it does but I don't know what it does if you know what I mean

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    It always makes me feel better, once a defrag has completed successfully. Also it's pretty therapeutic watching the little squares all change to blue....

On a serious note, I haven't ever noticed a massive improvement in performance, however if you think about it what it is also doing is "exercising" the drive heads and in actual fact refreshing the stored data, which should both increase the lifespan of your drive and help prevent damage and loss of data on the disk surface.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Adster@7 November 2003 - 09:53

I fidn it doesn;d do anything different for me

I know what it does but I don't know what it does if you know what I mean
    YES! to your first question.

and to the rest of your post how about a big Huh??

Defraging is pretty useless usless your running shitty programs, or have like 64m of ram.

Some programs like hold memory places that they use, all defraging does is restore those memory places back to you so that any program u run can use them.

Defragin is only good(and even then its pretty usless) for servers or computers that u cant/dont shutdown, because shuting down your comp does the same thing as defraging so theres no point defraging usless your comp has been running for like weeks and you have been running many programs made by idiots.

In Conclusion,I have no friken idea what this thread is about, BUT hey it ups my post count.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Cotton@7 November 2003 - 10:15

Defragin is only good(and even then its pretty usless) for servers or computers that u cant/dont shutdown, because shuting down your comp does the same thing as defraging so theres no point defraging usless your comp has been running for like weeks and you have been running many programs made by idiots.

In Conclusion,I have no friken idea what this thread is about, BUT hey it ups my post count.

Obviously!

Defragging has nothing to do with physical memory and the virtual memory, or pagefile, usually doesn't get defragged with the rest of the files. Normal use scatters all files and fragments occur in proportion to how much use they get. It's absolutely neccesary to defrag quite regularly.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    If you think about your registry and how it branches out like a 'tree'. When files are removed/installed/modified they can get placed at various levels on the 'tree', making them more difficult for Windows to find(slowing down disk access time).

Older hard disks will benefit more from defragging than most of the newer hard disks.

Defragging essentially picks up all the files and places them in a more compressed/logical fashion. The result is Windows can then launch/run/access programmes faster.
    ABIT NF7s--Athlon 2800--80gbMaxtor--41gbIBM--1024DDRpc3200--PowCol9800XT--Pioneer106DVD/RW--PlextorCD/RW--SonyDVD

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    Umm.good day to join mate...My biRthday.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    happy birthday

oh wait did you change your name

dodnt you use to be cosmac or something like that

anyway mixed posts in here which make it difficult for me to think

ok who the f*ck is correct here

ive heard defragging can wear out your HD

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BANNED
    Sorry mate,..i wasnt talking to you ,its not my birthday.But cheers.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    PAiNKiLLER
    I think YES.

Image Resized

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I would never say it's pointless
    ABIT NF7s--Athlon 2800--80gbMaxtor--41gbIBM--1024DDRpc3200--PowCol9800XT--Pioneer106DVD/RW--PlextorCD/RW--SonyDVD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast