Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Bios

my friend has been having trouble installing a new graphics card, it installs ok but the computer decides that he wants to use both graphics cards as dual view, he disabled the old graphics card in windows, but every time the computer restarts the old graphics card is reactivated, its an onboard graphics card. so I went round to his to try and sort it out and try and completely disable the onboard graphics card, so I went into bios, to my amazement there was no menu to switch the onboard graphics on or off, I'm guessing dell keep some menus hidden because they think nobody needs to upgrade there pc's lol.

my question is this how do I reveal hiden menus in bios?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    wormless's Avatar Beauty
    u got a friend lmfao!

and i know u need help

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What motherboard is it?

Look into the owners manual and maybe there is some information there. Another thing I can think of is look on the board itself for a jumper to disable the onboard video.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Go to the source.

Tell your buddy to contact Dell.

Or,

Run the Belarc advisor, find out who makes the mobo, contact the mobo mfg.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@8 November 2003 - 00:19
    What motherboard is it?

Look into the owners manual and maybe there is some information there. Another thing I can think of is look on the board itself for a jumper to disable the onboard video.
    don't know who makes the motherboard, I searched the entire board even read all the tiny writing and didn't find the make,

the manual doesn't give any information about the mobo, I'm glad I never baught a dell pc, they obviously think there computers never need to open up there comp to upgrade.

I think the next thing he is going to do is email dell.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    What are you guys talking about? Dell makes their own motherboards and develop a BIOS that is limited as far as upgrading. If you want to upgrade your Dell first check your power supply. Unless you specified in your order to get a powerful GPU, Dell gave you a crappy 250 watt max PSU. PC power and cooling, luckily, sells power supplies that are compatible with dell. Expensive but the best and the most quiet PSU you can get.

Also realize that any part you want to work on your Dell has to be engineered to work with their proprietary system. So go see what hardware they have available for your system for upgrades at their website.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Jg427@8 November 2003 - 01:41
    From Dell forum:

On board video enable\disable
    thank you I will show him when I see him next

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Im guessing if you cant disable the card in the bios, you would have to do it by jumper setting on the motherboard.

As Virtualbody1234 said.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    After looking at that Dell web site... I now start to remember why I build my own PCs. What a nightmare!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast