Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Some Help With My Comp

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by zhelynd@7 November 2003 - 20:44
    anyways i wanna thank you all for the input,

what i am gonna do is use windows cd to format and partition my hd, and enable the setting suggested by vb, but one more question, do you guys recommend Norton System Works to monitor the integrity of the system to prevent such disaster to happend again?
    I don't use NSW myself. I use Norton Internet Security 2003. Nothing to disturb the settings in Windows XP. I keep my own system in order 'by hand'.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    virtual, yea? so what do you think of the program?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Norton Antivirus is IMO the best antivirus. Norton Personal firewall is what I use for online security. I also have a hardware firewall for added protection.

Both those programs are in Norton Internet Security and I like them (recommend).

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by zhelynd@8 November 2003 - 01:38
    Lyxn, yea, the win98 boot disk didnt recognize the 80gb harddrive, it was showing 12gb, but it still allowed the partition process go thru. all i needed to do was to punch in the percentages of each partition, then it would go ok, the volume figures like harddrive size in fdisk were strange, but when i restarted the computer, the hd size was exactly what i wanted it to be.
    I've done that once with a Win98 boot disk and had severe problems later, so that could well be your problem, but I've never bothered to work out what was wrong (I was not aware of the 32GB limit at the time).

Norton Windoctor is great for keeping your system tidy, and it can fix some problems, but it won't actually prevent problems like the one you've experienced. I haven't used Norten System Doctor for more than a short while, I could see little value in it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Just use the normal windows XP Partition setup and it should work out fine.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Personally I won't bother to use Norton System works with my XP machine. I installed it once and it worked like hell with XP so I just decided to do the work myself.It is good for windows 98 as it could help to prevent some of the crashes if you run it regularly.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    hmmm could be a hardware problem, faulty cables and such. open her up and take a look

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12