Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making A Backup Copy Of Legit Windows 2000 Pro

Poster
    Original as in OEM or Retail?
    OEM is a joke. I wish I'd recorded a support call I made to MS Seattle about their wiindows media player 7. I think it was 6 that came with the OS. I upgraded to 7 and the damn thing closed as fast as I opened it. Because I had an OEM designation in my serial number, MS refused to answer any of my questions. They offered paid incident support instead. I couldn't get through to them that it wasn't windows 98 OEM that I had a problem with, it was windows media 7 and the error messages told me to contact the software author, MS!
    They gave me a list from the OEM numbers and insisted I should contact the manufacturer that sold the computer back in 98. I did manage to find out what became of the company, they were merged with several others and became a super high tech supplier. So much for their support.
    That was the last time I called MS or paid for anything that had anything to do with MS.
    I think they later rewrote the details of some player updates because windows 98 and windows 98SE are two different OS's and some players won't work in the first edition.
    Solution, I shelved the OEM and "borrowed" a copy of win98SE. Retail! Legit!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    cant you just copy it like any other CD?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by clocker@9 November 2003 - 10:10
    I've never seen a legal copy of Windows.

Where did you find it, the Smithsonian?
    LoL

@ jbr : cant u just use Nero to copy 1:1??

it should copy the CD with ne xistin copy protections (giving u an xact copy of the cd)
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by DL.@9 November 2003 - 12:26
    Because I had an OEM designation in my serial number, MS refused to answer any of my questions. They offered paid incident support instead. I couldn't get through to them that it wasn't windows 98 OEM that I had a problem with, it was windows media 7 and the error messages told me to contact the software author, MS!
    They gave me a list from the OEM numbers and  insisted I should contact the manufacturer that sold the computer back in 98. I did manage to find out what became of the company, they were merged with several others and became a super high tech supplier. So much for their support.

i had the same problem when i downloaded ie6...couldn't get it to set up for the life of me...kept getting an error...called ms...same exact story....oem....but i downloaded it from the windows update site...still have to contact the manufacturer...yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah!!!!!

i forget how i finally got it to work but it wasn't through anyone's support.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    I have a legitimate version of Windows XP HE. :

Well, it's not the full version; the 3 backup CDs, which can be used to install Windows back on to your PC.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    well Amarjit i have a direct copy of a legit xp home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12