Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would This Improve Gaming Performance?

DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Originally posted by johnboy27@10 November 2003 - 15:56
    But maybe he would like to overclock.Wouldn't it be better to have the faster ram? And also he may want to upgrade a bit in the future,better to get the faster ram if you ask me because the cost is not much different.
    good point - i never put overclocking into consideration
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by clocker+10 November 2003 - 09:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 10 November 2003 - 09:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@10 November 2003 - 05:55

yep. but no matter wat, it&#39;s better than a 300 wat. it&#39;s also got 2 fans too. real nice and cool back there.
    Simply in the interest of being pedantic I must disagree, Abu.

Not to impugn the quality of your particular PSU, but I&#39;d rather have a nice stable high quality 300 watt PSU over a cheap, shoddy "500" watt unit, any day.

A CPU really hates voltage surges and noise.

The PSU is one area that I would not consider comprimising quality for cost considerations. [/b][/quote]
    I totally agree with you there, clocker.

I was going to say something quite similar but I held myself back. I have given abu some comments about posting misleading information. I didn&#39;t want to push too hard as he might get the wrong idea and think I am just out to get him. That is not the case. I am just out to get him when he posts nonsense or information that will misguide people.

So, in the interest of being pedantic also... I would disagree with abu here too. A top quality 300w unit or better would be my preference.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@10 November 2003 - 09:17
    A top quality 300w unit or better would be my preference.
    Yeah.

You know, I&#39;ve come to the realization that even with my limited experience, the PSU may be the most important hardware choice one makes.

It&#39;s not as sexy as a dual CPU motherboard, and it won&#39;t light up and flash like your fans, but every single piece of hardware in your comp depends on it.

In all the tutorials I&#39;ve read and in all the forums I&#39;ve visited, the PSU seems to be the ignored stepchild of the whole building process.

I wonder how many hoped for "superPCs" have failed to reach expectations due to a substandard power supply?

Oh well, you can always add another cold cathode light stick, I suppose....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Oh well, you can always add another cold cathode light stick, I suppose....
    And add even more load and instability to the whole works.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    BANNED
    This is the make I use, from what I can see, they are around US&#036;75. I paid AUD&#036;170.

Purepower.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Very nice Billy*, but I don&#39;t see any lights.

Get with the program.

*I have the 420watt version...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    sry bout that clocker

i have yet to get a peltier, or anything of that kind...
    I also have not herd of "kits" for peltiers a link to one of those would be very very welcome&#33; Although i am defintily intrested in peltier technology,it was more hypotheticle then a real question... i was under the impression that you could simply plug it into a PSU, if it could handle it (20 plus amps or something)... but i have never tried peltiers... Any resourses on the subject that use english to describe what is needed etc... is also VERY welcome&#33; I searched the forums and came up dry... it would be nice to know what it takes exactly to make a peltier set up&#33;&#33; this is so of topic, i may start a new thread... hehehehe

*on topic*

Thermaltake has always impressed me with there heatsinks, and i have also had the privilidge to use thier PSUs and am very happy to say they are nothing short of awsome, quiet effective, just all round kickass&#33; stable power, clean power, strong power&#33;
    As for the cheap PSU i would only put that in a comp that had no "mission critical" role, or that was OCed etc... or a comp for my grandma hehehe

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    BANNED
    Originally posted by clocker@11 November 2003 - 04:10
    Very nice Billy*, but I don&#39;t see any lights.

Get with the program.

*I have the 420watt version...
    I take it you&#39;re kidding about having no lights Clocker, these psu&#39;s were designed to be lit up and seen through your side window. Go on, just one nice cold cathode, a nice blue one.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    BANNED
    Is this the Peltier you mean?

Peltier

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    that helps, (although the web site is somewhat hard to navigate)
    but yeah that helps it had a plain english explanation to how they work etc so now i think i will think up something to expirament with...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast