the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    i imagine that they won't be able to completely get rid of the net

there is so much of it around already

as the article states, another 'new' windows OS is probably not the thing people will be keen to spend their money on

and linux is better, both for stability and of course price.
    if only it can get better ways of introducing new users,
    it's really no harder than windows just less known

and apples OSs keep getting better aswell, so there is still a dim glimmer of hope

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Originally posted by echidna@10 November 2003 - 08:57
    i imagine that they won't be able to completely get rid of the net

there is so much of it around already

as the article states, another 'new' windows OS is probably not the thing people will be keen to spend their money on

and linux is better, both for stability and of course price.
    if only it can get better ways of introducing new users,
    it's really no harder than windows just less known

and apples OSs keep getting better aswell, so there is still a dim glimmer of hope
    You're right...no way they are gonna phase out the net, there IS too much invested in it, by too many players.

dont really matter if they wanna spend money on it or not. All of the major players in the computer industry are under contract to M$ to put the new versions of the OS on the systems that they ship out (which of course dont affect those of us that custom build, but we are a small majority, compared to those that buy off the shelf comps).
    This is a dumb move by M$ tho, if it's true. What are peeps like us gonna do? We gonna go and install older versions of the OS on the new machines...probably with pirated register keys. Takes money outta their pockets, either way. Sorry Bill Gate$...your dream of owning the internet is full of crap. Take your investments that you already have in the internet and be happy, you bastard.

I CAN NOT argue that Linux is a good OS. I dont have it on my machine, but Ive used it before, and yeah, it is pretty easy to use. Only REAL reason that I dont have it, is cause I dont wanna have to use emulators for the software that's made for winblows

Edit: I just re-read thru that article. From the sounds of what I read there, and granted...that IS all that I've read on "Longtooth" it sounds like that OS would be a hacker/cracker's paradise, as well as these assholes writing their scripts into websites. Then again, they thought the same thing of Whistler (XP) and they werent entirely off the wall on that one.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    I don't think the article says they want to phase out the internet at all, it just says longhorn tries to put more emphasis on code being run on your own computer instead of being run on a server. The article also says they're trying to counteract the trend in LAN's of putting more and more power into a central server and computers connected to this have little power of their own and rely on the server to do most things for them.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by ilw@10 November 2003 - 21:52
    I don't think the article says they want to phase out the internet at all, it just says longhorn tries to put more emphasis on code being run on your own computer instead of being run on a server. The article also says they're trying to counteract the trend in LAN's of putting more and more power into a central server and computers connected to this have little power of their own and rely on the server to do most things for them.
    i take it then, that you only use microsoft operating systems

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    I've tried various linux distros a few times, and have one installed at the moment but i haven't used it much recently. I'm not commenting on whether M$ is good or bad, I'm no fan of microsoft's OS's or its browsers or any of its products (except their optical mouse) , I'm just saying the article referenced doesn't seem to say anything about phasing out the internet. Personally I would be willing to bet money that MS has no intention what so ever to phase out the internet, as it seems to be a major driving force in IT at the moment.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Come now, be honest.

Would you have read it if I entitled it "Microsoft phases out standalone web-broswer, and makes sure that websites built for use with new OS won't be seen otherwise?"

Phasing out the Internet is a more catchy title.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    The proper title would have been "phasing out html".

Shifting the balance to xml to reduce server load is a nice idea. However:

- html is widely accepted and easy to use (don't fix it if it aint broken)
    - xml has a reputation of being not safe (mostly thanks to M$ allowing barndoor wide exploits)
    - if you use a limited set of art on the users harddrive you webpage design will be limited
    - if you write pages that don't run on a majority (untill the users upgrade) of you customers systems, you lose the majority of your customers

So I don't see M$ making WinFX a standard anytime soon.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    As I said, I wanted catchy.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

10. File Sharing   -   #10