Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: smart uninstaller? Do you use one?

Frankthetank1's Avatar Über User BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Do you guys use any software to uninstall a program? if so what can you recommend?
    “Just because you’re miserable doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your life.”

DO NOT RANDOMLY PM ME ASKING FOR INVITES!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I use Sandboxie to try stuff, so no need for a uninstaller.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    windows default uninstaller is good. (assuming that you are talking about win platform.)
    Teh n00b.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    windows default uninstaller is good. (assuming that you are talking about win platform.)
    He must referring to uninstallers that completely remove registry keys plus configuration files, usually left behind by standard uninstallers.
    I use this one: http://www.revouninstaller.com/ , I have only good things to say about it. If you need it, I can post it at our NZB index.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    He must referring to uninstallers that completely remove registry keys plus configuration files, usually left behind by standard uninstallers.
    I use this one: http://www.revouninstaller.com/ , I have only good things to say about it. If you need it, I can post it at our NZB index.
    well, if you have that nzb, please go ahead & post in nzb section.
    Your point sounds good. If any uninstaller can force remove registry entries then I can use any trial version again & again without using trial reseters.
    Teh n00b.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Done, posted.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    newsgroupie
    I should say that I've been burned before using some of those "100% complete" uninstallers. The biggest problem seems to be when the installation over-writes critical Windows system files, and backup-copies are not saved. Then uninstalling the software can result in a non-bootable PC. (The act of installing certain software can also result in an un-bootable PC, which is why using sand boxes can be a good insurance policy )

I don't know if or how Vista/7 allows this situation, but it was an issue on Microsoft systems up through XP.

Back in the days when I was trying out a lot of trial software, I used "rollback" utilities such as Powerquest Second Chance (win98 only), Farstone VirtualBack/RestoreIt and FirstDefense-ISR. The latest is Rollback Rx. Similar to Windows System Restore, but more thorough. GoBack was probably the most well known rollback utility, but also (IMHO) the worst choice of any I've used.

There are also specialized trial-extenders that are designed to defeat all the common software DRM schemes such as Armadillo. I've not followed this arms-race lately, so I can't recommend any.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Frankthetank1's Avatar Über User BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    thanks revouninstaller is very well reviewed and seems like a solid program.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    GreenTea's Avatar 99.9% SHY BT Rep: +2
    CCleaner: Simple and FREE.
    http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware!

Cleans the following:

* Internet Explorer
    * Firefox
    * Google Chrome
    * Opera
    * Safari
    * Windows - Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.
    * Registry cleaner
    * Third-party applications
    * 100% Spyware FREE

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    it does not remove configuration files or folder left behind by standard uninstallers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast