Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Arrange My File Folder?

Poster
    Okay, I use the Windows FileManager a lot. And I don't want to install another file filemanager. I got too MUCH crap installed on my PC already. I RIGHT CLICK the FileManager area and can access the menu as seen below.

I arrange my files in certain order, then suddenly XP decides for me that the catagories should be geared towards multimedia, when a quota of music and video files dominate the folder.

Most of my multimedia files do not have artists names, years, etc. I can care less about the duration either. Why does Microsoft do this?

This is what I want for ALL FILES!

This NOT what I want!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I want to do, is arrange any list of files in a folder by "modified", being that some folders contain several hundred files. Then I can see the most recent files downloaded. Yeah, sure I can select "details" as long as XP didn't change the arrangement selection to the multimedia format. The "Details" is not what I want. I like listing files as a "list". I can see more files in one shot that way.

-----------------------------

Here's another complaint. Everytime I "Explore" my hard drive, it takes me directly to "My documents". I want to click directly to "C:\:" I don't give a crap about "My Documents". I have to click several time to get to "c:\". I need a way to make XP work for me easier.

Also, another bitch of mine. How can I print all of the files names within a folder. Some folders have almost a thousand files in them. I want to print a list so I can compare them to another list. Printing icons with them would be a bonus for me too.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Originally posted by Spindulik@10 November 2003 - 10:10

Also, another bitch of mine. How can I print all of the files names within a folder. Some folders have almost a thousand files in them. I want to print a list so I can compare them to another list. Printing icons with them would be a bonus for me too.
    I use PrintFolder. It won't print icons though.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Jg427+10 November 2003 - 12:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jg427 @ 10 November 2003 - 12:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spindulik@10 November 2003 - 10:10

I use PrintFolder. It won&#39;t print icons though. [/b][/quote]
    Thanks Jg427, I am finally starting to get some of my life long Windows problems solved by asking people.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    The "arrange icons by" menu is determined by what you have selected in "choose details" even when you display by list instead of details. View>choose details, then check "date created" and/or "dated modified". It should now be on your "arrange icons by" menu.

Another thing I noticed is that xp will forget the view settings sometimes. It turn out that xp only stores 400 view settings and after that they revert to the default view. I did a registry hack to change that. It has retained all settings since then.

Here is the reg. hack: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5728

Jg427

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    C drive access

Struggle your way to your C drive in WE

pick up the icon in the top left hand corner

drag it down to the quick launch area and release it

change the icon

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Originally posted by Jg427@10 November 2003 - 17:47
    It turn out that xp only stores 400 view settings and after that they revert to the default view.
    yeah, that cute little stunt that xp pulls ever so often is enough to make me kill. thanks for the tip, it was invaluable.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Tug@10 November 2003 - 13:57
    C drive access

Struggle your way to your C drive in WE

pick up the icon in the top left hand corner

drag it down to the quick launch area and release it

change the icon
    Thanks&#33; I am half way there. It is missing the "explore bar", which is the tall area on the left that lists all of the other drives and folders. I want that too.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Spindulik@10 November 2003 - 16:10
    Here&#39;s another complaint. Everytime I "Explore" my hard drive, it takes me directly to "My documents". I want to click directly to "C:&#092;:" I don&#39;t give a crap about "My Documents". I have to click several time to get to "c:&#092;". I need a way to make XP work for me easier.
    Right click the Windows Explorer shortcut and select Properties
    In the Target box, change the contents to read:
    %SystemRoot%&#092;explorer.exe /e,c:
    Click OK
    You&#39;re done.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by Smurfette+10 November 2003 - 16:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smurfette &#064; 10 November 2003 - 16:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Spindulik@10 November 2003 - 16:10
    Here&#39;s another complaint. Everytime I "Explore" my hard drive, it takes me directly to "My documents". I want to click directly to "C:&#092;:" I don&#39;t give a crap about "My Documents". I have to click several time to get to "c:&#092;". I need a way to make XP work for me easier.
    Click OK
    You&#39;re done.[/b][/quote]
    Thank You Smurfette
    That is exactly what I needed.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Spindulik+10 November 2003 - 20:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spindulik &#064; 10 November 2003 - 20:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Smurfette@10 November 2003 - 16:39
    Click OK
    You&#39;re done.
    Thank You Smurfette
    That is exactly what I needed.[/b][/quote]
    I think I should get some extra freakin&#39; stars for the help I&#39;m givin out in this forum&#33;
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast