Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: waffles.fm

Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Obviously my reason will be biased since I have used Azureus/Vuze probably 95% of the time I have been torrenting, but my biggest problems with uTorrent are as follows:

1. I am a member of quite a few places, and staff on various sites doesn't seem to discuss anything regarding what uTorrent versions to allow/ban. On all trackers I'm a member of, except for What.cd for obvious reasons, as long as I don't update Vuze right away there are no problems whatsoever. This not because the newer versions won't be allowed, but rather because they aren't added that quickly to allow list.

2. For the short while I used uTorrent I had many problems with downloading errors. These errors are virtually non-existent on any Vuze (or Azureus) version I have used.

3. With Vuze I can use queuing where it works (If I remember correctly What.cd wasn't one of those places. Gave timeout error) And force seed where needed e.g. to meet 72 hour rules etc.

4. I don't know if uTorrent has this now, but Renaming folders/torrents before downloading them, to make up for bad naming schemes like "(Year) Album" or "Album" or otherwise not following proper naming scheme. Something both What and Waffles are notorious for unfortunately.

BTW I would gladly help with testing.
    Last edited by Night0wl; 06-14-2011 at 02:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I've invited a real life friend to what.cd who uses a macbook. He had heard about whatcd beforehand and was thrilled to get the account, since he has a great net connection in his residence. However he never ended up putting any traffic into the account, and I know he uses Vuze. So by limiting your clients it may be limiting the potential casual userbase significantly.
    Last edited by 1000possibleclaws; 06-14-2011 at 03:54 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by jowa_cd View Post
    There are much better alternatives on both windows and mac now...
    Sorry, but there aren't better alternatives for Mac. Both uTorrent for Mac and Transmission are way inferior clients. If you use Vuze in classic mode the "bloated" argument doesn't count because all the Vuze features are turned off.

For Mac OS X Azureus is still the best client. Brokenstones recommends it as a client of choice.

I would like to know if banning Vuze reduced cheating on What? I seriously doubt it. Besides the fact that Azureus is open source and therefore can be modified, there's no plausible reason to ban the client.

Unlike Transmission it didn't have any serious bugs for ages and announces and behaves just fine.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 06-14-2011 at 05:53 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    that happened to me because some versions of utorrent are on the blacklist because of quite a few reasons. so i had to downgrade and i was able to download again.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    thank you for your answers.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    Hologram's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I guess you could allow Azureus to be used on MAC only?

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Hologram View Post
    It is possible to prevent the Java and OS info from being passed in Azureus' User-Agent. It's somewhere in the settings.

Even if they didn't allow that, anyone can download the source code, edit it to report being used under Mac OS, and then run it on any platform.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Now you're just being mean for the sake of it

Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    It is possible to prevent the Java and OS info from being passed in Azureus' User-Agent. It's somewhere in the settings.

Even if they didn't allow that, anyone can download the source code, edit it to report being used under Mac OS, and then run it on any platform.
    Rather then sabotage this thread, go do something to uTorrent so their Vuze ban reason becomes a mute point.
    Last edited by Night0wl; 06-16-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Night0wl View Post
    Rather then sabotage this thread, go do something to uTorrent so their Vuze ban reason becomes a mute point.
    It's already been done - not by me, though. A hell of a coding work.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234