Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Etiquettes For Posting In Software World

@Virtualbody1234, Yup the language has to be clear enough for someone to understand only then one can help.

@DarthInsinuate, I will try making it more readable.

@LTJBukem,
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    What&#39;s the policy on topic bumping?

I&#39;ve had a couple of questions that I&#39;ve posted in here in a couple of the worlds and got zero replies.

So...

- how often should one bump?

For example, do I bump a topic after it&#39;s slipped to page 2 of the world without a reply? ...or should an unanswered question get bumped only after a certain time... like 8 or 12 hours after originally posting so folks in distant timezones could possibly answer?

and...

- how many times is it okay to bump before folks start getting "upset"?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    I don&#39;t know about others but if a post has more than two bumps it gets to annoy me.

I would suggest bumping a topic after 2-3 days if it hasnt got any replies. Many people here (including me) sometime miss a day or two coming to the forum, however we still are regulars . But I make it a point to see last 2-3 days questions to see if any of them has been left unanswered and i post only if i know the answer or could get someone in the right direction.

So at least give people full 2-3 days before you bump it.

In short, Just a suggestion about bumping:

* The 1st bump (if the question is unanswered) - After 2-3 days
    * The 2nd/last bump - After a week from the last bump.

If others have any thoughts about this please feel free to share.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I think one bump is sufficient. If it goes unanswered after the bump then perhaps the question is poorly asked or nobody knows the answer. I suspect also that some questions don&#39;t get answered because of who posted it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    when applicable, let us kow what OS you&#39;re runnin
    i think most do, but some dont, then theres always a "what OS" post
    (it also lets the reply poster consider compatability issues, etc.)

@I.am - you didnt have to credit me for the first suggestion, this is your idea, i&#39;m just tryin to contribute
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    @FKDUP74 - I just wanted to appreciate the contribution of each one helping around here.

Then I realized eventually I will have to add for each modification, so thought of writing thanks to each one who contributes in general.

Every contribution is much appreciated.
    -
    I.am

Edit: Good point about the OS. It could definetly change the solutions. One should always mention the specs as much they can. There is no harm done writing more. Its always about writing less that creates confusion.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by I.am@10 November 2003 - 23:09
    For people who frequently answer questions (Part 1):
    Please don&#39;t repeat what has already been answered and you agree to it. This act seems more to increase your post count. No one appreciates spamming and useless answers. Serious people here are concerned more about quality answers than quantity.If you have something else to say or want to add which will make the understanding clearer you are more than welcome to post it.
    I think it&#39;s good to have someone back up a post someone else said. It helps the person who made the post know that THIS (whatever "this" may be) is the right solution. Sometimes it may be a little half-assed if it was agreed upon already 3-4 times, but giving a second opinion isn&#39;t always bad.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    a second opinion isnt bad, i think this is suggested to stop the 4th, 5th, etc, opinions (and these are suggestions, not rules, just some ideas from members to make life a little easier and the board less cuttered)
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    What I meant was, if someone does want to support an answer, just by giving "yes you do that" isnt really helpful. If you dont trust the answer of the first person what are the chances you would trust the second one unless they both give some convincing reasoning.
    However there are cases, when we all know few members and their knowledge. In that case their answers dont need any support, even then some new members add a "yes" to it.
    Moreover, people should search on google first before they disagree to an opinion.
    As such these are only suggestions, we are not making any rules here. Most of us follow this anyway (sort of unsaid guidelines), it was all about bringing this to notice of the one&#39;s who were not aware of.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    I.am, I wish you all the luck in the world with this, I really do. But the trick is to get folks to read the rules, FAQS and pinned topics.

Do that and the clutter on the forum will probably be halved, but it seems a lot of members see a big slab of text and just can&#39;t be bothered, no matter how well written it is.

I saw a classic example yesterday.

Someone asked for a link to download eS5. He was told it was garbage, was given links to Random Nut&#39;s rundown of the malware issues and also to warnings about eS5 here on this very forum.

It made no difference. He didn&#39;t want to read, he didn&#39;t want to hear any warnings, he just wanted a link.

Some folks don&#39;t want to read and research, they just want answers spoon fed to them, one on one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast