Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are FTN seedboxes the best deal on the internet?

ExtraDry's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Think the whole point is to raise some funds to keep the site alive and not have to beg for donations each month, peeps get a server a pretty good price.Win win situation for site and users that like their seed boxes
    For users that don't want the deal, you will win to as there be more seed boxes on torrents so you should get faster speeds.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    P2PDog's Avatar Beagle
    Quote Originally Posted by TONiC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sheriff 01 View Post
    Unless you are a dedicated uploader at the site your on, i really cant see much use for this type of setup. Everything Idoleyes has said is 100 percent
    accurate regarding this setup.
    The problem is many forget BT is about sharing [something that is enforced by a ratio in BT], because they pay 2 leech, via one click hosters, newzbins, FTPs, or just leech off public trackers, but ultimately don't know the pleasure of maxing out your home connection and getting content for free at the same time. Have a good ratio and you stay: high speed and free content whenever. Have a bad ratio and it's good-bye - no more content. So how do you get a good ratio? Donate, rent a seedbox, use your home connection. Whilst donating is good as it supports the site directly, it doesn't offer much in increasing your ratio. Home connections means leaving your computer on perhaps overnight, whilst also putting you at risk from the now invading anti-p2p companies. A seedbox is the perfect solution, and fact is, the industry for it wouldn't be as big as it is now if it wasn't.
    But, if you need a seedbox to maintain a decent ratio on most private sites, BT isn't really free anymore is it?

And, if you're going to pay-to-leech, all the other options (ddl, usenet) are much cheaper than all but the very bottom end seedbox plans.
    ONLY IN IT 4 TEH LULZ

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    sheriff 01's Avatar Safety First! BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Don't get me wrong i think its great that they are trying to come up with inventive ideas to keep the site going but what would be interesting and i would like this, is if they had some kind of lottery system where everybody donates like $10, then at the end of the month they take 50% of the proceeds and they have some sort of online bingo game and the winner gets the proceeds. The other 50% would be more than enough to cover costs.
    P.S. i love playing bingo so i would like to see that-lol COUNT ME IN!!!

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I have a 60 GB cap and $1.50 per every GB over so your "suffering " is lost on me.
    I never claimed to be "suffering." But going from a basically unlimited account to a capped one was definitely a change. It sucks that you have such a low cap but what can I do about it? Not much as this is the only high speed option I have where I live.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Unless you are a dedicated uploader at the site your on, i really cant see much use for this type of setup. Everything Idoleyes has said is 100 percent
    The problem is many forget BT is about sharing [something that is enforced by a ratio in BT], because they pay 2 leech, via one click hosters, newzbins, FTPs, or just leech off public trackers, but ultimately don't know the pleasure of maxing out your home connection and getting content for free at the same time. Have a good ratio and you stay: high speed and free content whenever. Have a bad ratio and it's good-bye - no more content. So how do you get a good ratio? Donate, rent a seedbox, use your home connection. Whilst donating is good as it supports the site directly, it doesn't offer much in increasing your ratio. Home connections means leaving your computer on perhaps overnight, whilst also putting you at risk from the now invading anti-p2p companies. A seedbox is the perfect solution, and fact is, the industry for it wouldn't be as big as it is now if it wasn't.
    I thought "'sharing" as it's sometimes laughing referred to on bt sites was giving to the best that you are able and not pointlessly competing with others.

If I "share" something at my less than stellar rate but for a long period of time ( I think they call that retention) why should I be devalued as a member to someone with a little money for a seedbox or a better ISP that only seeds something just as long as they are getting the most "bang for their buck"?
    Btw I would happily "max out my home connection" on new torrents if utorrent didn't prioritize most of the upload to the faster speed of seedboxes.
    Anyway this isn't a knock against seedboxes per se but everyone knows that the majority of people that rent one do so merely out of self interest and at the expense of others not for their benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by unoriginal View Post
    It sucks that you have such a low cap but what can I do about it?
    I don't believe that I asked you to do anything I just thought the point should be made that you are hardly that bad off.I mean seriously except for padding your upload it's not like you can't download everything you want for 150GB a month.
    Yes full blu-ray blah blah blah but if you simply wished to watch something and have restricted bandwidth then in the olden days we had this saying "Make do with what you have" .

Olden days being pre-credit cards obviously.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 07-02-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    I'm sort of amazed that nobody has picked up that it is FtN that is offering the seedboxes ...ie the original ratioless 0day site, the above argument is absolutely moot in the case of a ratioless site, there is no buffer with FtN or any of the other ratioless sites.
    There are also other sites that credit seed time not seed amount, so once again a buffer at these sites is irrelevant.
    The argument to stay under the radar of the p2p companies is to keep the tracker and therefore the swarms small, for the p2p companies it becomes a game of whack-a-mole, they get one two or three more crop up.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123