Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest me a media player.

I'm sure I probably chimed in on this way back when, but x years after giving up on 'home theater PC' type programs, and going to h/w based network player systems, I still say unless you're really a penny-pincher (and really, since you're taking a $xxxx dollar machine whenever you want to play something that's pretty suspect!), getting a h/w box to do it is by far the better choice.

The cheapest and best ones out there are pretty cheap. The absolute newest are around $250, whereas used older models (still work good) are <$100. A far cry from dedicating your $xxxx dollar pc to that task. I started out years ago with a Popcorn Hour A-110 (still works great), and upgraded to something that played BR/MKV DVD/BR discs. You really should look into it, and there are lots of competitors out there that will have the features/price that you're looking for.

So, stop trying to find some s/w that will turn your $xxxx PC into a media player, and get a real media player.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #82
    I think VLC player is probably the best audio and video players, when I was looking for a player I downloaded it for free and it had some awesome skins.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #83
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    I'm sure I probably chimed in on this way back when, but x years after giving up on 'home theater PC' type programs, and going to h/w based network player systems, I still say unless you're really a penny-pincher (and really, since you're taking a $xxxx dollar machine whenever you want to play something that's pretty suspect!), getting a h/w box to do it is by far the better choice.

The cheapest and best ones out there are pretty cheap. The absolute newest are around $250, whereas used older models (still work good) are <$100. A far cry from dedicating your $xxxx dollar pc to that task. I started out years ago with a Popcorn Hour A-110 (still works great), and upgraded to something that played BR/MKV DVD/BR discs. You really should look into it, and there are lots of competitors out there that will have the features/price that you're looking for.

So, stop trying to find some s/w that will turn your $xxxx PC into a media player, and get a real media player.
    I tend to agree with this, although I have yet to find a "perfect" all-in-one h/w player. I have 2 Logitech Revue units, which other than a rare restart, or lack of complete compatibility with the Google Play store, I do most of what I want with it for just a little over the cost of the keyboard that comes with the unit.

The unit is orphaned, but not entirely abandoned. Not bad if you can find one [refurbed] for <$100.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #84
    I have (now) mostly Syabas/Popcorn Hour C200's around the house. The only drawback (somewhat) is keeping up with the firmware, but now that the 300/400 series is out, the updates are down to 1-2 times a year, and mostly are to keep it playing commercial discs which is a low priority as I have a load of bluray players ('free' included when I've upgraded displays) as well.

But they all have Bluray disc players, but play everything I need (MKV, FLAC, mostly, and do ISO and BDMV on 99+% of all my rips).
    One can get used ones at <$100, refurbs around $200. If you don't need disc capability, the non-disc units are quite a bit cheaper, but even though I have ~50TB of LAN storage, BD25's are really cheap (~90cents/ea now) and beat the cost analysis of even non-RAID hard-disc storage (although all mine is RAID5/6).

It all depends on where you want to take it. Lots of folks buy USB storage and plug it straight in to these PCH boxes, and are okay with that. When I started down this road I looked at where I thought I'd be at, at least 10 years in. I'm there now. I'll have to buy yet another RAID box (24TB or thereabouts) sometime next year to 'keep on going'. That will probably be enough until the final dirt nap. I hope. But then again, burning discs is virtually unlimited storage into the future.

I have (now) mostly Syabas/Popcorn Hour C200's around the house. The only drawback (somewhat) is keeping up with the firmware, but now that the 300/400 series is out, the updates are down to 1-2 times a year, and mostly are to keep it playing commercial discs which is a low priority as I have a load of bluray players ('free' included when I've upgraded displays) as well.

But they all have Bluray disc players, but play everything I need (MKV, FLAC, mostly, and do ISO and BDMV on 99+% of all my rips).
    One can get used ones at <$100, refurbs around $200. If you don't need disc capability, the non-disc units are quite a bit cheaper, but even though I have ~50TB of LAN storage, BD25's are really cheap (~90cents/ea now) and beat the cost analysis of even non-RAID hard-disc storage (although all mine is RAID5/6).

It all depends on where you want to take it. Lots of folks buy USB storage and plug it straight in to these PCH boxes, and are okay with that. When I started down this road I looked at where I thought I'd be at, at least 10 years in. I'm there now. I'll have to buy yet another RAID box (24TB or thereabouts) sometime next year to 'keep on going'. That will probably be enough until the final dirt nap. I hope. But then again, burning discs is virtually unlimited storage into the future.
    Last edited by Beck38; 10-17-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Software & Hardware   -   #85
    VLC Laser media player 1.0.0 old version is smashing .... you must to try it

6. Software & Hardware   -   #86
    VLC is great.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #87
    vlc is very good and regularly updates itself. Haven't found anything it won't play

8. Software & Hardware   -   #88
    pokitisme's Avatar Poster
    i use almost exclusivly vlc player for iso's and much other media and it even plays single vob if needed.also i use bs player but latley not much do to my tuneuputilities settings.and the old stand by is media player clasic v 6.4.8.4 as thats included in the k light codec pack.but when watchin video_ts folders i use powerdvd v6.it varies on what ur uses is for but any new wmp i wouldnt touch --to much bloatware like the ambiance shit.a video player is for that if u want pretty colors then find a program to specifically give u what u want.
    favorite quotes made my me

if you want to you can but if you dont you wont

most possibly yes but maybe no

9. Software & Hardware   -   #89
    windows media player is all time best and it is user friendly

10. Software & Hardware   -   #90
    I use VLC Mediaplayer and sometimes Media Player Classic - Home Cinema. They both don't use much memory.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast