Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimenationary in Ramen: A Food Thread

A's Avatar ... BT Rep: +1
    I suck at cooking and am jealous of anyone who can make anything at all.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Now for my next trick, I'm going to dust a deep round dish with Corn Chex and marinade it in whole milk; serves 1 and is eaten with a spoon.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 09-06-2011 at 01:13 PM.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    You being chemist an all; can see we some hands on Breaking Bad in action
    Last edited by A; 09-06-2011 at 01:24 PM.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by AbyBeats View Post
    I suck at cooking and am jealous of anyone who can make anything at all.
    Not sure if you're being your usual sarcastic self, but cooking is actually very intuitive. If you think something makes sense, it probably does. And if you know you like something, that's better than not adding it/doing it at all. It's why the food I make, while not being as exquisite or culinary school inspired will always taste better to me. Same applies for anyone, just look at the opening post.

A few years ago I was living alone, and my friends were over for my house warming party. It was the first time in my life I actually had to rely on cookbooks (which were absolutely worthless with hindsight), and my own limited supply of utensils and cooking material. My friends asked me to prepare something foreign as they'd heard I'd be around (no you filthy bastard, not that kind of around). So, I decided to make them Eggplant Moussaka without so much as a recipe. With the exception of frying to the eggplants a tad too much, and using about 0.5 more measures of water than needed, I actually got it pretty much right by simply "winging it".

Point of the story: Get behind a stove with some oil, onions, salt, pepper and whatever else you have in your fridge, and I'm sure you'll love whatever you churn out.
    Ellipses go here.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    I'm afraid Macky can only function as the getaway driver, and the product purity assessment bureau (since he runs a mass spec).
    Ellipses go here.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    Point of the story: Get behind a stove with some oil, onions, salt, pepper and whatever else you have in your fridge, and I'm sure you'll love whatever you churn out.
    For some reason even the pigs doesn't eat what I make.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    You know how the saying goes, chemists make great cooks/chefs, well it's true. I woke up this "labor day" and decided I was going to prepare Ramen from scratch just for the hell of it. Though technically, I made Udon noodles since I like them more. Anyways, Ramen chefs train for a long time to make great Ramen, I managed to do it in a couple of hours. It shouldn't come as a surprise, I'm pretty amazing after all.

Seriously, it was fucking delicious, even way better than the one I had @ Katana-Ya in San Fran

Here are some pictures, I was tracking the whole thing cause I thought I might put them on facebook, but fuck all those people. Also, since you're all idiots here too, I'll just finish this with nearly a dozen pictures.

Attachment 84913 Attachment 84914
    Attachment 84915 Attachment 84916
    Attachment 84917 Attachment 84918
    Attachment 84919 Attachment 84920
    Attachment 84921 Attachment 84922
    Attachment 84923

P.S. The point of this thread was to make you feel shitty that you're not as cool as me, obviously
    14wg5yx.jpg

Respect my lack of authority.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    It means I won the taste test. Also, I can bench press you. I only ask that you keep your posture rigid so that I don't have to fondle your junk.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    I'm afraid Macky can only function as the getaway driver, and the product purity assessment bureau (since he runs a mass spec).
    In reality, I'm actually not a fan of organic chemistry or elaborate cooking. However, when I have done it (synthesis was part of my job in the past), I typically got high yields and purities. The meticulous yet tedious amount of detail I focus on makes both synthetic chemistry and cooking a chore for me, which is why I don't go all out with cooking often. I tend to make things once, love the result, and try something different at the next inspiration. They're all like conquests for me.

On a side note, I did look into how to synthesize cocaine both from non natural materials (expensive) and from coca leaf extract (cheap, economical). Was sounding like way too much work. I don't know any meth heads though, I've only been asked to make coke and vicodin. I didn't know how else to use my professional trade to barter with people I know.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    In reality, I'm actually not a fan of organic chemistry or elaborate cooking. However, when I have done it (synthesis was part of my job in the past), I typically got high yields and purities. The meticulous yet tedious amount of detail I focus on makes both synthetic chemistry and cooking a chore for me, which is why I don't go all out with cooking often. I tend to make things once, love the result, and try something different at the next inspiration. They're all like conquests for me.

On a side note, I did look into how to synthesize cocaine both from non natural materials (expensive) and from coca leaf extract (cheap, economical). Was sounding like way too much work. I don't know any meth heads though, I've only been asked to make coke and vicodin. I didn't know how else to use my professional trade to barter with people I know.
    Clearly I'm the winner. A couple of years ago a(n) friend acquaintance of mine approached me asking if I knew of a way to synthesize crystal. 6 days of arduous research, $75, a laboratory assignment sheet, a few dozen pages' worth of catalyst prices, and copious amounts of coffee later, I returned with what was (at the time) the best meth he'd ever had. I didn't take any extra care as you do, in fact, I'm usually one of the most chaotic organic chemists you will meet. I have, off-record, set 3 labs on fire (not joking), but proceeded to (every single time), put the fire out, finish the experiment, and get enough yield to be within 0.5% of the expected.

I never dabble with the stuff unless I'm absolutely forced to, as opposed to having some random interest in it, I assure you, I have none at all. I bloody loathe organic chemistry. Nearly as much as I do physical chemistry. Half my research involves some monkey sitting in the room with me postulating whether or not we need $500 or $3000 worth of materials in order to tickle an active site.
    Last edited by Quarterquack; 09-06-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Considering I eventually found out he was going to use me as a supplier, 'Friend' isn't the word to be used.
    Ellipses go here.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast