Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimenationary in Ramen: A Food Thread

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    It means I won the taste test. Also, I can bench press you. I only ask that you keep your posture rigid so that I don't have to fondle your junk.
    No problem ,when I not posting here I spend the rest of my life planking so I can have strangers look at pictures of me making a fool of myself on the internet.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AbyBeats View Post
    I suck at cooking and am jealous of anyone who can make anything at all.
    Not sure if you're being your usual sarcastic self, but cooking is actually very intuitive. If you think something makes sense, it probably does. And if you know you like something, that's better than not adding it/doing it at all. It's why the food I make, while not being as exquisite or culinary school inspired will always taste better to me. Same applies for anyone, just look at the opening post.

A few years ago I was living alone, and my friends were over for my house warming party. It was the first time in my life I actually had to rely on cookbooks (which were absolutely worthless with hindsight), and my own limited supply of utensils and cooking material. My friends asked me to prepare something foreign as they'd heard I'd be around (no you filthy bastard, not that kind of around). So, I decided to make them Eggplant Moussaka without so much as a recipe. With the exception of frying to the eggplants a tad too much, and using about 0.5 more measures of water than needed, I actually got it pretty much right by simply "winging it".

Point of the story: Get behind a stove with some oil, onions, salt, pepper and whatever else you have in your fridge, and I'm sure you'll love whatever you churn out.
    Bullshit. Until you've mastered certain processes all you are ever going to be able to make is something in tomato sauce or gravy. In order to master those processes you need to be taught them, which is where recipes come in. Cooking is intuitive in terms of taste, but not technique. You might as well say medical research is intuitive: 'oh just bung that gene in there, it looks about right so it'll probably do the same thing'. And if you did say that (I wouldn't put it past you) I would shank you, I really would.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    It means I won the taste test. Also, I can bench press you. I only ask that you keep your posture rigid so that I don't have to fondle your junk.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    PS. Next time you entertain guests, you could think about not feeding them watery overcooked moussaka by simply following this recipe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/veggiemoussaka_90770

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    Bullshit. Until you've mastered certain processes all you are ever going to be able to make is something in tomato sauce or gravy. In order to master those processes you need to be taught them, which is where recipes come in. Cooking is intuitive in terms of taste, but not technique. You might as well say medical research is intuitive: 'oh just bung that gene in there, it looks about right so it'll probably do the same thing'. And if you did say that (I wouldn't put it past you) I would shank you, I really would.
    I'd love to know what techniques you're talking about. This isn't me being condescending, or sarcastic. Sure, I can't flip an omelette in one piece, but I can measure a steak's residual blood just fine. Apart from those two "techniques"/"tricks", I really can't think of something advanced to the point of being unable to learn it by watching someone and/or intuition. If you're talking about techniques like searing, moulding, seasoning etc. on the other hand, then I really have no response, as those are the epitome of common sense dictated techniques.
    Ellipses go here.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    I'd love to know what techniques you're talking about. This isn't me being condescending, or sarcastic. Sure, I can't flip an omelette in one piece, but I can measure a steak's residual blood just fine. Apart from those two "techniques"/"tricks", I really can't think of something advanced to the point of being unable to learn it by watching someone and/or intuition. If you're talking about techniques like searing, moulding, seasoning etc. on the other hand, then I really have no response, as those are the epitome of common sense dictated techniques.
    Clearly you have never baked, made a souffle, used a bain marie, made jam/mayonnaise/bread/custard/any kind of pastry.

For instance, truly excellent shortcrust pastry requires that you handle it as little as possible, aerate it in the rubbing-in stage, reach the correct level of consistency (determined only by experience), refrigerate it for at least 30 mins before you roll it out, and brush the casing with egg once it is in the tin and let it dry to form a seal before adding filling (otherwise soggy pastry). It should also preferably be rolled out using a marble board and pin since marble is always slightly cooler to touch than room temperature. Science bitches, not your pre-Copernicus mumbo jumbo.

Equally, there's a reason we use sugar thermometers in cooking, notably when making jam or toffee and attempting to reach setting or hard crack temperatures. You really have no idea you n00b.
    Last edited by Squeamous; 09-06-2011 at 06:13 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    WTF do you call that, A heart stopper ? Seriously your cholesterol level must be atrocious if this a regular diet item.
    Haha, relax. A bunch of my friends and I were starting summer and we really wanted a challenge. So we were sitting one day in a pub, and overheard a bunch of guys talking about how they know Epic Meal Time accepts challenges. So we started conceptualizing the burger. In total it was 11.5 inches tall, and 10 inches wide. There was lamb, chicken, beef, goat, pig and I'm pretty sure what was one of our fingers in there. We were going to submit a video to Epic Meal Time, asking them to top our burger, but then once we realized that it costs a fair bit we stepped back after making our first burger.

For the record, I only ate two slices as big as the one on the side plate. My other mates (3 of them) finished the rest ... and as a reminder, the picture only shows half the burger.

Statistics: 6 pounds of bacon, 14 pounds of beef, 3 pounds of cheese, 20 pounds of other assorted meats (cooked into the cheese, burger and layered on the meat). 12 hours to cook.

4 people ate 43 pounds of assorted protein at a sitting? WTF was it? An Elvis impersonators evening?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    That, there, I will concede to. I don't enjoy baking and/or making sweets. My most advanced dessert ever made was boxed-and-ready caramel pie. I heated that thing up damn proper, if I may say so myself.
    Ellipses go here.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    I shall shortly be astonishing you all with my culinary expertise!

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    I shall shortly be astonishing you all with my culinary expertise!
    That sounds ominous. Are you sitting on a 60s swivel chair stroking a white persian cat perchance?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. Lounge   -   #30
    I am actually sitting on a 60s swivel chair, but since I'm typing this I'm sure you can guess that I'm not stroking my pussy

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast