Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimenationary in Ramen: A Food Thread

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by rejectOfAllah View Post
    FFS!1 What the fuck is going on around here? ... Does this look like fucking Mumsnet or something? ... Have you all turned into wimmin?
    It seems reject just personally asked for a ban
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Lounge   -   #42
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    With cooking and science, there are tried and true iron rules and practices, but as a whole they are not static.
    By definition, "tried and true iron rules" are static, else they'd be neither iron, nor rules.
    Bakers know this, chefs pretend not to care.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    With cooking and science, there are tried and true iron rules and practices, but as a whole they are not static.
    By definition, "tried and true iron rules" are static, else they'd be neither iron, nor rules.
    Bakers know this, chefs pretend not to care.
    Maybe my wording was a little funky. I meant that there are static elements, but when taken as a whole it's actually very dynamic
    Last edited by mjmacky; 09-07-2011 at 05:37 AM. Reason: it's not the rate my ass thread, so had to remove excessive buts

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    Yep, baking is considered scientific in approach because the right result really does rely on the absolute right quantities of ingredients and particular techniques.
    Sure, but just like scientific technique, there are factors that give way to leniency, substitution, or alteration, and it takes intuition (based on fundamental understanding) to guess where they exist successfully. With cooking and science, there are tried and true iron rules and practices, but as a whole they are not static.
    Of course, you can't just add a set amount of water to flour to make bread, because flour can be different according to brand. You have to go by experience. However, you do need to add a certain amount of sugar to yeast, and let the yeast activate appropriately (I'm talking about proper yeast not your dried instant bollocks), and you also need to know when to add the salt so as not to kill the yeast.
    Experience and intuition are a luxury you can afford once you've learnt the techniques.

5. Lounge   -   #45
    That's bread making, it's its own complicated process. Udon noodles are easy! About teaspoon of salt for every 2 cups all purpose flour (or half low gluten half high gluten), and enough water to make it just a tiny tiny bit sticky. No yeast. That's something any woman could get behind, right? Just like with any doughy thing, you need to play with flour during manipulation of dough, e.g. cutting the noodles. Eventually I can just type out my recipe, but that takes the fun out of it

complicated = tedious (no fun)
    Last edited by mjmacky; 09-07-2011 at 01:21 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #46
    That's bread making, it's its own complicated process. Udon noodles are easy! About teaspoon of salt for every 2 cups all purpose flour (or half low gluten half high gluten), and enough water to make it just a tiny tiny bit sticky. No yeast. That's something any woman could get behind, right? Just like with any doughy thing, you need to play with flour during manipulation of dough, e.g. cutting the noodles. Eventually I can just type out my recipe, but that takes the fun out of it

It's ok, I know how to make udon noodles. And yes, there are many very simple dishes you can just throw together. I love going into people's houses (with their permission) and making something for dinner out of their random ingredients. I enjoy the challenge. But I can only make decent food because I've spent the last 15 years of my life learning how to cook through recipes.

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes

It's ok, I know how to make udon noodles. And yes, there are many very simple dishes you can just throw together. I love going into people's houses (with their permission) and making something for dinner out of their random ingredients. I enjoy the challenge. But I can only make decent food because I've spent the last 15 years of my life learning how to cook through recipes.
    Recipes are like Haynes manuals for food. If you follow the instructions and have the right tools it is hard to go wrong. I enjoy cooking (although I just buy noodles to be honest Blue Dragon ramen noodles are pretty good)
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. Lounge   -   #48
    I'm about to make a blackberry and apple pie...mmm, seasonal

9. Lounge   -   #49
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I'm about to make a blackberry and apple pie...mmm, seasonal
    with cream and custard one hopes
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. Lounge   -   #50