Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Before I Test Install Xp Pro For Dual Boot

My C disk has the Home XP installed and the C disk only has about 4 gigs left.
    Want to test drive the XP Pro and will install that on a separate external disk.
    This disk already has 3 partitions and I'll probably make a 4th and install the XP Pro on it.

I have a boot and install disk which I got from a newsgroup and I already test installed on a separate, older puter. Succeeded on the second try.

Some of the questions are....

Once it's installed and I decide XP Pro isn't worth it, is uninstalling it a matter of deleting the partition it's on or is there a lot of registry cleanup I have to do later?

Is there a registry cleaner that's maybe especially made for this purpose? I'm guessing you can't remove XP Pro using add/remove programs.

If I simply delete the partition, will the puter think it's still a dual boot and go through that select OS thing in the beginning? Or worse yet, will it freeze looking for the missing XP Pro?

Oh yeah, since the XP Pro isn't really legit , will I have to stop it from trying to update? Does MS check serial# and do they care to that extent?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Don't dual boot Xp and Xp unless you hide one of the partitions or you'll have a crosslinked mess. MS won't bust down your door and really don't care if you can update.
    VMware is the best for trying things out.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Didn't think of the obvious, crosslinks. Does that mean XP Pro will write into the register that the Home XP uses?

I took a look at VMWare's homepage but it seems to be for IT and servers.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Ok, here are the things that you need to think of.

1. Do not just make a partition and install it. Use something like partition magic, and go through the wizard to install a new OS, and set the new partition as active.

2. Also set your self up a fat32 partition (just a small one, the minumum allowed) to install boot magic, after you install the other OS.

3. If you do decide to not use pro, just set boot magic to automatically boot up to the old home edition, and delete the other XP partition, but keep the fat32 that bootmagic is installed on. You can uninstall it, but you never know what will happen.

There are other, better boot loaders than boot magic but you do not need to worry about it for what you are trying to do.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    >1. Do not just make a partition and install it. Use something like partition magic, and go through the wizard to install a new OS, and set the new partition as active.

Dang, would've used Partition Magic to create the partitions on the external HD had I known about their wizard and bootmagic. I already have partitions created using a trialware of Acronis Partition Expert. Hope partitions created by 2 different programs won't screw up the OS install.

On a sidenote, was suprised that a 300 Mhz Compaq with only 128Megs would even allow XP Pro to be installed. That's the old test puter I mentioned earlier.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    If you do not set the new partition as active, thus hiding your old partition it is going to over write your boot sector. Meaning that you will not be able to boot into your old OS. I cannot stress this enough.

Really if you are not sure what you are doing you should google for a guide on it, it will save 5 or 6 hours and a big headache in the long run.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Sounds like you went to the VMware server downloads. VMware is pretty easy to get off emule and maybe kazaa. It works like virtual pc but without all the glitches.
    If you can't find that, MS have virtual PC as a free trial for 90 dys or something. Better than messing with your registry and boot sector till you know it better.

The question about crosslinked registry, It is possible that some software will split the install between the two XP's if one is not hidden. Bootmagic does hide the inactive partition. I've never worried about creating a special partition for bootmagic though.
    It will work without it, just install from your existing OS>

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    You're right, I do need to google a bit more. Well, more than a bit.

Guess not having too great a trouble with installing XP Pro on the old puter as a dual boot of Win98 and Pro gave me a false sense of security? When I booted up on the old Compaq it waited for me to select either Win98 or Pro and defaulted to the XP. Then I did change the startup so it would default to the Win98 after 30 sec or so.

I'm not too clear about the boot sector: the C has a boot sector for the Home XP and the XP Pro won't create a boot sector on the external HD where I'm installing it?
    Scuse the newbie questions cuz that's what I am in these sort of things.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by DL.@12 November 2003 - 07:02
    Don't dual boot Xp and Xp unless you hide one of the partitions or you'll have a crosslinked mess. MS won't bust down your door and really don't care if you can update.
    VMware is the best for trying things out.
    I am dual booting XP PRo and 2000. I think I installed XP, then installed 2000 after, on a different partition, and now when ever I format c:\ (XP) 2000 still reconises, and I dont need to reinstall that.

So cool.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I'll look around for VMWare and also for the Virtual PC you mentioned.
    More toys for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast