Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Can I Do?

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi@13 November 2003 - 01:28
    There are 80mm to 120mm fan adaptors, but a little hard to find locally. Online purchase might be your only option.
    i've tried to look for these, where did u find them?

and, my fans r like this:
    2 fans in the back blowing out
    1 fan blowing out on the side window thingy
    2 fans on the psu blowing towards the back.
    i don't have any fans blowing in the front.
    but i'm thinking of getting a fan adapter to put a 120 mm fan next to my cpu and heatsink, so exhaust some heat. i mean, i guess it could go anywhere, just not lying around in my closet.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Solid CO2 (dry ice) has surely got to be the next step in cooling. Ok, you'd have to top it up now and again, but the big advantage is that the machine to create the dry ice could be in a separate room (or even building) so the noise is generates would be unimportant.

If you filtered the air going into the dry ice box so that it was dehumidified, there would be no condensation, I feel certain you could get away with only one fan (not counting the cpu HSF) and it probably would not need to run all that fast. A simple bit of ducting could vent the CO2 outside.

This seems a far better idea than water cooling, since CO2 is non-conductive. In any case, the actual CO2 would not need to pass through the machine, it could simply be used as a cooling agent for normal air.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@13 November 2003 - 03:13
    i've tried to look for these, where did u find them?
    http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merch...ategory_Code=FA

I cannot vouch for the store for I never bought anything there before.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by lynx@13 November 2003 - 03:00
    Solid CO2 (dry ice) has surely got to be the next step in cooling. Ok, you'd have to top it up now and again, but the big advantage is that the machine to create the dry ice could be in a separate room (or even building) so the noise is generates would be unimportant.

If you filtered the air going into the dry ice box so that it was dehumidified, there would be no condensation, I feel certain you could get away with only one fan (not counting the cpu HSF) and it probably would not need to run all that fast. A simple bit of ducting could vent the CO2 outside.

This seems a far better idea than water cooling, since CO2 is non-conductive. In any case, the actual CO2 would not need to pass through the machine, it could simply be used as a cooling agent for normal air.
    yea, i heard about that. so other than paying $13 for an adapter, can i put the fan in my pc withouth cutting holes?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by lynx@12 November 2003 - 18:52

Btw, having one fan blow air into your case and another fan blowing air out is extremely inefficient. It is much more sensible to have two fans performing the same operation (both in or both out) as long as there are no major obstructions to airflow. And since PS fans always take air out of the case, it is sensible to add extra exhaust fans.
    Lynx, you do realize that this advice goes completely counter to what one might read on any number of modding sites?

They are always stressing the balance between the amount of air that you bring in and the amount that you exhaust.

I have been very skeptical of this as a major concern since it seems to assume that a case is fairly airtight, which we all know is hardly true.

Anyway, tomorrow I plan on trying out your theory. Should be interesting.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I thought I just went though that same idea with you, clocker.

Think of it this way:

---> ---->

or

--->
    --->

If each fan moves about the same amount of air then which way do you think will move the most air total?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    ok. thanks a lot for this heated discussion, but anyone have any ideas of putting a 120 mm fan into this case, without spending anything? i'm kinda low on cash rite now

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@12 November 2003 - 23:25
    Make your own fan adaptor. http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=31516&hl=
    Abu, surely you saw that coming?

Watch out...the royalty fee is a killer.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Well, I tried to avoid posting that but abu kept insisting.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast