Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cable Providers Will Be Raising Speeds

Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    I definitely got a speed increase. I can get over 350KB/sec from some of those bots in altrock.
    Proud member of MDS

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #12
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    2MB DSL? I'm flyin at 3MB here on cable, 400K UL. It's about to be upgraded to 512k. Any DSLers care to challenge that?

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #13
    well, your probably paying more for your 3mb connect..lol 30 bucks is what I pay for my 1Mb connect.. but my ISP has increased it to 2mb.. 2MB dl for 30 bucks.. can't get any better .. atleast for my area..

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by Supernatural@13 November 2003 - 14:29
    Even the most conjested cable lines are faster than average DSL, and you know it! Please don't come with the "shared line/nearest office" mumbo jumbo. We all know it's marketing BS from the phone companies and it doesn't prove a thing. I've had DSL before. It doesn't come close to my cable connection. It doesn't require that PPPoeP whatever crap either.

What do you have to say about DSL now?
    Top speeds for ADSL modems is still less than 10 mbps, while not-too-special cablemodems (which aren't limited to a 10 mbps ethernet connection) can reach speeds as high as 42 mbps. This of course assumes infrastructure can support them! Typical ADSL equipment maxes out at 8 mbps down and only 1-2 mbps up. But even many of the really cheap cablemodems can do 10 mbps both directions.

BOTH ADSL *AND* cablemodems ALSO have to fight for LIMITED INTERNET GATEWAY bandwidth at their ISPs!

It's true that there may be 10-100 people on the same 'branch' of the cable lines as me, but I was told we're all sharing a dual FDDI connection running back to the ISP at 100 mbps (200 mbps effectively due to it being dual.) My ISP's internet gateway for the AREA isn't that fast.

It doesn't matter if you've got your own private line from your house ALL the way back to the ISP's networking center if you're still multiplexed with everyone in your local area to go through a single T-3 line running at 45 mbps. If there's 45 users, then the AVERAGE connection speed can only be 1 mbps max -- but because MOST people are using less than 0.1 mbps on average there's typically plenty bandwidth to spare for the few who are 'hogs'. But if the ISP offers to sell lines rated at that speed, they shouldn't get onto people for trying to use them (even CONSISTANTLY/CONSTANTLY) at that speed.

ISPs reasonably oversell their lines BECAUSE most people don't try to use >50% of the connection's max speed except in short bursts. Even hardcore file sharing users (at least on Kazaa...) will have trouble sustaining 50+KB/sec download speeds if they're getting only 'rare' files.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #15
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    My ISP sux. My dsl download speeds are at a max of 40k and upload is maybe 15k at the most. Damn you people and your fast internet connections!

How much does T1 cost?

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #16
    My Cable is a sollid 4000+/128 kb/s for € 45 and my cellphone is € 7.50 a month. The first 300 meters of the line is coax and all glasfiber beyond the street level switchbox. I never noticed any effect of the "shared line" you people boast about.

For € 50-55 I can get ASDL 1024/320 or 2048/640 for € 80-90, AND I need a analog phoneline at € 17.79.

So I'll stick with my Cable/Cellphone combi and leave my K++ settings at 88 kb/s UL limit.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #17
    Originally posted by keyz@14 November 2003 - 16:03
    well, your probably paying more for your 3mb connect..lol 30 bucks is what I pay for my 1Mb connect.. but my ISP has increased it to 2mb.. 2MB dl for 30 bucks.. can't get any better .. atleast for my area..
    $41.95 a month. 35% more money isn't much when you get 50% more download speed and 200% more upload speed (soon to be 300% more). You still think DSL is a bargain?

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #18
    2880down/512up and we pay 54.xx canadian a month.. i always get download speeeds of over at least 60k/sec..

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #19
    DSL = Set DL speed, no difference
    Cable depends on who is on, and what the other people are doing.
    Like FC said.

DSL for life.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #20
    Network congestion affects all types of internet connections, not just cable. All internet lines are shared. You think you have your own little private DSL line connected to the main office? Think again...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast