Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackcats-games account "disabled" - Is it gone forever?

Burnsy's Avatar TorrentSeed.org RIP BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by regs8376 View Post
    liemliem, like I told you in our help channel earlier, your account was inactive for far too long. Also, you were disabled over 3 months ago and only came in to talk about it today. Your account will remain disabled but you are free to make a new account if you catch open registrations in the future.
    That makes no sense whatsoever tbh... if an inactive account has been held in the database for "far too long", and was only disabled 3 months ago, for whatever reason at all... then it's apparent that pruning (if indeed it happens) is very, very infrequent. Peoples lives don't revolve round torrent sites, so yeah why not disable for inactivity, but when users come back, is there any great problem in re-enabling them?

Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    What I have never understood though is that as presumably inactive accounts put no stress on a site's resources ,why it is they need to disabled?
    Generally I've found it's to stop collectors and traders keeping 'currency' in their arsenal... makes sense to me to disable inactive accounts, but makes no sense not re-enabling accounts if you can verify the user, and then keeping an eye on it to make sure it's being used...
    I'd comment further but it would obviously be like trying to reason with a dung beetle.

2. BitTorrent   -   #82
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I think of it like a football ground, If you have a 50,000 seater football stadium, and 50,000 fans, but only 10,000 turn up week after week, then whats the point of having the other 40,000, knock down the stadium and build a 15,000 one, so you have some room incase 5,000 want to come back.

And resources, fair enough, but they do have PMs and Forum posts linked to their accounts, which do take up space, OK 1 member wont take up that much, but 30,000 accounts do.

If you dont use the tracker, whats the point of being a member, and a lot of these we have disabled, have not used the tracker for over a year, and it was 4 months ago we disabled them, and we are still getting ppl coming out of the woodwork.

Its also not like we are shut tight anymore like we were a few years ago, I have opened and let in a few thousand members, and once the tracker side is back up, I may open again for a period, so its not like they are frozen out and cant get in, but they must not have cared about their other account that much, to not use it at all for 7months to 2 years.

3. BitTorrent   -   #83
    P2PDog's Avatar Beagle
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    I think of it like a football ground, If you have a 50,000 seater football stadium, and 50,000 fans, but only 10,000 turn up week after week, then whats the point of having the other 40,000, knock down the stadium and build a 15,000 one, so you have some room incase 5,000 want to come back.

And resources, fair enough, but they do have PMs and Forum posts linked to their accounts, which do take up space, OK 1 member wont take up that much, but 30,000 accounts do.

If you dont use the tracker, whats the point of being a member, and a lot of these we have disabled, have not used the tracker for over a year, and it was 4 months ago we disabled them, and we are still getting ppl coming out of the woodwork.

Its also not like we are shut tight anymore like we were a few years ago, I have opened and let in a few thousand members, and once the tracker side is back up, I may open again for a period, so its not like they are frozen out and cant get in, but they must not have cared about their other account that much, to not use it at all for 7months to 2 years.
    Does one disabled account + one newly registered account take less resources than one re-enabled account?
    ONLY IN IT 4 TEH LULZ

4. BitTorrent   -   #84
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Like i said its got sod all to do with resources, they didnt use the account, so bye bye, if they want another then they can join and start from scratch.

5. BitTorrent   -   #85

Totally agree, that if someone's not gonna use their account it gets disabled, and I suppose quite rightly should eventually be deleted... The point I was trying to make was though... IF the account hasn't been pruned yet, and the user in question comes back with a legitimate reason for having been away, and would like the account re-enabled only to be told "no", then it comes down more to the attitude of the staffer than the fault of the user, imo... almost sounds like "I've got it, it's there, but you can't have it anymore"... what's the point in that? Apart from forcing the user to go through the inconvenience of finding an invite, or waiting for sign ups again.

Peoples lives don't (sorry shouldn't) revolve round trackers, and it's normal to be away for periods as long as you're aware your account's at risk of eventual deletion... but in this instance it wasn't (i.e. it was still there)
    I'd comment further but it would obviously be like trying to reason with a dung beetle.

6. BitTorrent   -   #86
    The point is though, they are only interested in it, when they cant use it, when they could use it, they didnt give a shite about it, if they did, they would have used it.

I know their lives dont revolve around trackers, but we are talking 7 months + without a single announce here, so have never seeded or leeched at all in that time, and we didnt delete torrents either at that time, so they cant say they did, as they didnt.

and we keep the accounts for our reference, if they turn up for a global ban somewhere, we have them and can make sure they dont get in again, instead of just saying, not here sorry, when they were a member but we havnt a clue they were a member, because we pruned them.

7. BitTorrent   -   #87
    Hmmm... some of what you say makes sense, and I agree with, but there's others that don't and are kinda contradictory... maybe I'm picking it up wrong, and we'll agree to disagree

8. BitTorrent   -   #88
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Like i said its got sod all to do with resources, they didnt use the account, so bye bye, if they want another then they can join and start from scratch.
    I don't know why everyone says that I'd be a horrible staff member as I can be as spiteful and petty as the next guy.

Btw that was an attempt at a joke.While the point I think holds true I definitely understand why someone such as yourself wouldn't exactly appreciate those members that seem to take the privilege they have been given for granted.
    I know I don't appreciate the many fucks here that are a disservice to this site and I don't even have a concerned interest in it.If I had nurtured it with my own sweat and tears disabling would be the least of their worries .I'd probably see if I could hire a contract killer to go something about it.
    Respect my lack of authority.

9. BitTorrent   -   #89
    BitMan55's Avatar Poster
    this happen to me and with out reason so i gorget it

10. BitTorrent   -   #90
    There is a reason for everything, you didnt use your account (even though i have no idea who the hell you are, but if this happened to you, you didnt) so why do you still want to be a member?

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast