Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Giganews DMCA Rampage: Embrace 100% data loss.

Well, i guess some of the members from the copyright mafia ring did learn something about usenet

At least the ones that demand taking down certain xbox 360 games.
    For the fun of it i tested several games posted not so long( ~27+ days) ago via supernews and , oh boy, was i surprised...

Totally wiped out data. 261/261 blocks not found per each file.(for instance)

So, if you like console games and think that block account will save you, then you are in for a nasty surprise. Well, it will fill those blocks but it will also expire soon..

Of course in most cases you can still find untouched releases of these games at least for now but hey, it still does hurt my big usenet loving tender heart

PSA its kinda funny to read them braggig on the official site about 100% completion. Yeah, you heard it right. 100%. Not even 99% as most other usenet providers advertise. rofl
    Last edited by Hypatia; 11-26-2011 at 06:09 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    The 'game' publishers are much more 'up to snuff' on DMCA 'takedowns' and such than the movie folks. Then again, it's just as easy to use a rental service (even more so) and 'rip yer own', you just have to be on the cutting edge a bit more to produce the 'copy'.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    CloneDVD + AnyDVD + Netflix = pure bliss I'm sure with SOPA they will try to block access to Anydvd's website, so I'll have to try to get updates off IRC or newsgroups.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    newsgroupie
    I kind of prefer the takedowns to be the entire file, rather than just 10% or so. No wasted server space or download bandwidth, and no nasty surprises at the end of the download.

I wonder if Giganews claims 100% completion on all those files that were not uploaded properly? Apparently it's defined as 100% completion on what they actually have rather than on what they should have

Although it was usually a fun project, I found it could be a lot of work putting together a 100% working game copy. And this was back in the pre-p2p dialup era -- but now it's so much quicker and easier to get something off the internet than to try to rip/copy your own, I've got to wonder why people would even bother.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    If you're going to pay for newsgroup access, why not pay for a seedbox or VPN ? They will give you an equivalent level of anonymity and a whole load of options on how to where and how to download.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by temisturk View Post
    why not pay for a seedbox or VPN ? They will give you an equivalent level of anonymity
    Many VPNs are not the least bit anonymous -- and presumably some seedbox companies as well.

Code:
    http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/
    And it's worth pointing out that even companies that promised absolute anonymity have been quick to rat-out customers as soon as the law came knocking.
    Last edited by zot; 11-29-2011 at 09:34 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    I didn't say all VPN's and seedboxes guaranteed anonymous. This is the Internet--you do need to use at least some common sense.

But consider that just as you only have the word of a VPN company that it won't log your activities or reveal them to law enforcement agencies you only have the word of a Usenet company that it won't do likewise.

Also, if you want to play at TorrentFreak quoting, read this: http://torrentfreak.com/giganews-law...wnload-100520/
    Last edited by temisturk; 11-29-2011 at 09:54 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by temisturk View Post
    If you're going to pay for newsgroup access, why not pay for a seedbox or VPN ? They will give you an equivalent level of anonymity and a whole load of options on how to where and how to download.
    One of the primary advantages of Usenet is not having to deal with all of the downsides of bittorrent culture, anonymity is just another bonus.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    There are downsides (and upsides) to everything. I'm not saying that BT is superior to Usenet (nor that it is inferior). I'm just pointing out to someone who is experiencing some dissatisfaction with one form of filesharing that there are viable alternatives.
    Last edited by temisturk; 11-29-2011 at 11:03 PM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Sure, but I'm only pointing out the decision to pay a few bucks goes beyond anonymity and internet speed. I look at bittorrent culture as a horrible horrible plague, and only use these private sites to fill the gaps that usenet doesn't address, which right now includes some web.dl's and versions of movies I want to archive.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast