Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oleg PM thread

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    So how many of you get small talk messages from Oleg? Simple right?

Quote Originally Posted by OlegL
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky
    U're sure you don't wanna add me to the list of your friends?
    Sorry, can't have any virgins on my list.
    Okay. LOL.
    are you a fan of any supernatural TV shows?
    Only if they're good shows.
    Tell me the names of any supernatural TV series that you like.
    That sounds like a lot of work, pass.
    May I ask you something? What is it that you do for a living? Do you work somewhere and/or study something?
    I am a chemist, I have worked as a chemist and am now finishing my doctorate degree in Chemistry. This was not something that came to me easily. I mostly grew up poor, relied on a mixture of loans, scholarships, grants and a near full time job to get myself through school. Graduate school pays me to teach and manage an instrument lab, unless my professor has enough money to pay me. I only bring in about $19k a year gross, $2000 of which goes back to the portion of my tuition that isn't waived.

Naturally, everyone does something. Those not doing anything at all work their way towards suicide.
    You really seem like a bright fellow... I am in an awful situation now. First of all, I don't have a job, and secondly, it looks like I won't be readmitted into college until fall 2012 because I really fucked up. As you know, I was dismissed from the college 'cause I couldn't remain on an academic probation. But yesterday I was able to contact one of my professors and he told me he would be willing to let me complete the work that I am missing. But I don't know what else I should do during this year.
    Good luck to you.
    But I don't know what else I should do during this year.
    Good luck to you.
    Get a job, if for no other reason, it will help you find a girlfriend or fuck buddy. It's one of the perks of part time jobs. Your choices are between the girls that work with you, or girls that are friends with your coworkers if and when you decide to socialize with them.
    Okay, but if I get a job, I'll lose my disability benefits, and if I lose the job, it will probably be really difficult for me to get back on disability.
    So what, disability can't be paying all that well.

Also, there's the trial period:
    http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10095.html#part3
    Last edited by mjmacky; 12-31-2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: added another
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    OH! OH! BOY! YOU PEOPLE ARE IN FOR A TREAT! IT'S THIS THREAD.

When he couldn't stalk me at the mentioned tracker:

Hi. What's your username at BCG?
    Some random sand crawled in his vagina:

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    I envy your ability to get into any tracker you want
    I deleted most of the gold. But there'll be more to come, I'm sure.

So, Macky, moved on from Mass spec yet?
    Ellipses go here.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    So, Macky, moved on from Mass spec yet?
    Nope still maintaining the specs. The LC/Single Quadrupole Mass Specs, the LC/Triple Quadrupole Tandem Mass Spectrometer (quantitative analysis), and the LC/Quadrupole Time of Flight Mass Spectrometer (qualitative and for accurate mass). I will be doing so for the next 6 months. I actually really enjoy it.

I have also altered the direction I want to take with my career. Instead of teaching, I think I want to get into editing, professionally, with a journal. I've been doing it mostly pro bono, once in awhile getting a kickback via authorship, but I thoroughly enjoy the experience and the breadth of information I come across amidst the practice.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Nope still maintaining the specs. The LC/Single Quadrupole Mass Specs, the LC/Triple Quadrupole Tandem Mass Spectrometer (quantitative analysis), and the LC/Quadrupole Time of Flight Mass Spectrometer (qualitative and for accurate mass). I will be doing so for the next 6 months. I actually really enjoy it.

I have also altered the direction I want to take with my career. Instead of teaching, I think I want to get into editing, professionally, with a journal. I've been doing it mostly pro bono, once in awhile getting a kickback via authorship, but I thoroughly enjoy the experience and the breadth of information I come across amidst the practice.
    I think we've both had a small change of heart then, and I'm enjoying that both of us are headed in a more computer-centric direction.

This year I finally got to operate my own FCM (and an ITRAQ MS which reminded me of you while I was doing it, be proud chemistry sensei) and I ended up analyzing some 45 controls and their respective combinations of 39 fluorochromes and scatter fields. Ten minutes into the repetitive work and I loved it. I did it pro bono as well because a friend had to leave his lab for a few days (conveniently when the highest amount of data analysis came around), and I don't think I want to have to do anything but bioinformatics from this point in.

Halfway through I already had the FCS output into a Macro'ed excel sheet and I kicked back and played PS1 games while it finished ranking results worth noting.

Before this point I was headstrong on running my own lab within a 5-6 year period. After this experience I realized people will pay to have me do nothing but look at a computer screen and make them graphs. The lab thing can come much later.

As for the breadth of information I worked a few months as a clinical trial advertisement agent last year. It was mostly boring telemarketing, but every now and again someone would ask me specificity such as P values, LD50's, confirmation tests etc. I ended up going through 15-25 papers a day to keep up with the incoming and outgoing orders. I think that job by far remains the most highly informative job I've ever come across - its only downside would be that it's 3-4 years too late to keep up with the highly evolving industry.
    Ellipses go here.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    OlegL as much as you choose to deride him still appears to have enough innate grace to neither break trust or choose to fun at someone else's expense.
    Respect my lack of authority.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    OlegL as much as you choose to deride him still appears to have enough innate grace to neither break trust or choose to fun at someone else's expense.
    Actually... yeah never mind I'm not picking up this argument.

Suffice to say, my actions are coherent with my beliefs about who he is. That is all.
    Ellipses go here.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    Actually... yeah never mind I'm not picking up this argument.

Suffice to say, my actions are coherent with my beliefs about who he is. That is all.
    Your sig says kinda different. What with you remaining so aloof, removed and amused throughout all the pretty words we spill in your service.

According to your professed expertise and empathy on the subject, isn't exacerbating the subject's neuroses contrary to form? What are you achieving with that sig?

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by chavis View Post
    Your sig says kinda different. What with you remaining so aloof, removed and amused throughout all the pretty words we spill in your service.

According to your professed expertise and empathy on the subject, isn't exacerbating the subject's neuroses contrary to form? What are you achieving with that sig?
    Shirley you won't beleave this.

I've wanted to change it for a while now, but have been too lazy to find a worthy preponent to quote idiocy off.
    Ellipses go here.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    After speaking to the man for a good hour+ over 2 conversations, I am absolutely convinced that Oleg is 100% who he says he is. I believe there is an understood rule that we don't pick on real people we know have disabilities.

there will be times that he gets annoying, and by no means should he have carte blanche to run amuck. However, he's a good, kind guy who has some compulsions, and difficulties understanding human interactions.

We discussed the way people interact on this bored, and I explained that this site (and the internet, in general) is a poor place to learn how people behave. I explained that many see themselves as characters here, and not as real people. Things said/done here do not represent real life. I believe that helped him feel a bit more comfortable with how some people have acted in the past.

As I said, Oleg is 100% who he has said he is. Honestly, if you met him, you would understand that he is not the kind of person who would act in any other manner. He does not present a "character", a troll, or a game player. He is who he is.

Hopefully this will settle the long-running question once and for all.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    And he won't mind if we have fun with his musings? I've kind of always thought of him as the Karl Pilkington to my Ricky Gervais.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast