Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Fantasy Authors?

Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    I agree Thomas Covenant is much darker than Tolkein characters but you've got to remember when Tolkein wrote his books,I love the way Thomas has trouble accepting he's in a new world and not going mental,and the way the concequences of his actions return to bite him on the ass..so to speak

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    I've posted mine already in another topic, but what the hell...

Terry Pratchett
    Robert Rankin
    Julian May
    JRR Tolkien

I like my fantasy to be fun and humourous, which is why Pratchett and Rankin top my little list.

I couldnt get into Thomas Covenant. I found his agonizing over everything to be a bit ... ummm... well... whiney.
    At least Frodo and Sam got on with the job without too much complaining.

Just my opinion though... if you enjoyed it, well, good for you.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    i just red some books by Robert Silverberg and they are very good.
    off corse tolkien rules and Pratchet

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Jordan, Robert

The king of fantasy

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Poster
    What about Hamilton? ('The Neutronian Alchemist' and 'The Edenist' books) Sci-fi about 300 years into the future

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    [i]Originally posted by uNz@4 December 2003 - 09:34
    I've posted mine already in another topic, but what the hell...

Terry Pratchett
    Robert Rankin
    Julian May
    JRR Tolkien

I like my fantasy to be fun and humourous, which is why Pratchett and Rankin top my little list.

I couldnt get into Thomas Covenant. I found his agonizing over everything to be a bit ... ummm... well... whiney.
    At least Frodo and Sam got on with the job without too much complaining.

Just my opinion though... if you enjoyed it, well, good for you.
    Terry Pratchett is one of my fave authors of all time, he is one of the few writers who makes me laugh out loud when I read a book.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    JRR Tolkien cuz he's the master.

C S Lewis cuz he's the masters apprentice.

Stephen King (for The Dark Tower series).

Anne Rice I think the most of her books fall under the fantasy not horror. she is the most poetic writer I have ever read every line is a work of art.

Robert E Howard the God Father of gore (and sword and sandal).

David Gemmell for creating an excellent story without ripping off JRR.

Sir Thomas Malory (Le Morte d'Arthur) this is a work of genius even though it's a hard read Excaliber is excellent adaptation of this.

Charles Dickens (A Christmas Carol) READ IT!! It's a short book but I found absolutely enthralling and it's probably the most adapted book in history as far as I know this is the only fantasy that Dickens wrote.

Terry Brooks even though it's a rip off of LOTR I still like the Sword of Shannarah.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Poster
    Originally posted by gripper103.2@3 December 2003 - 19:29
    I agree Thomas Covenant is much darker than Tolkein characters but you've got to remember when Tolkein wrote his books,I love the way Thomas has trouble accepting he's in a new world and not going mental,and the way the concequences of his actions return to bite him on the ass..so to speak
    Well said, one would almost have thought of doubting Thomas and the Covenant between God and his people.

If he had only suffered from leprosy the Biblical references would have been overwhelming.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    I really enjoy reading mythologies from different cultures, especially those of scandinavian origin.

I also really liked all of Tolkien's, Piers Anthony's, CS Lewis' and Weiss and Hickman's books.

I've also read almost all of Michael Crichton's books, although I suppose that's more of a Sci-Fi genre.. regardless, I love them.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@16 November 2003 - 03:17
    The Illiad and The Odyssey aren't fantasy.

They're classics.

And a mythology isn't fantasy either, it's a religion that no longer has widespread practice.

Mythology is fantasy from it's most primiary source. All good fantasy writers draw upon mythology just as they draw upon the real world for many of their ideas.
    Lord of the rings if a mis-mash of many different mythologies from norse to american indian. The trolls and the dwarves from LOTR and almost exactly as they are described in Norse mythology. Good fantasy embraces mythology and tries to put a believable twist on an old theme.
    In fact technically all sci-fi and horror prose are defined as fantasy it's just since JRR has the word become associated dungeon and dragons/sword and sandal literature.
    Mythology is only associated with religion because when most mythology was created the realm of science was in it's infancy since the stories in many mythology never happened (unless u really believe that there was a Gorgon named Medusa that was turning people to stone 8000 years ago).
    Tolkien even said that he wrote Lord of the Rings so England could have it's own mythology. (King Arthur is French in origin).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast