Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Fantasy Authors?

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Not much has been going on in bookworld for a while so I thought I'd ask people their favourite fantasy authors and why.

JRR Tolkien?
    David Eddings?
    CS Lewis?
    Stephen Donaldson?
    Terry Brooks?
    Piers Anthony?
    Raymond Feist?
    David Gemmell?
    Ursula K. Le Guin?
    Anne McCaffrey?
    Michael Moorcock?
    Terry Pratchett?

Those are just the ones I've read so I'm sure I've missed loads...

My personal fave has always been Stephen Donaldson because he writes so well and you can truely believe in his characters. Tery Pratchett is who I read the most because his books are so damn funny.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Apart from the odd Stephen King Book, i've no interest in Fantasy. I keep saying i'll give it a chance though

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Magaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

there dragonlance books are great, super well written and totally exciting!!

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Majin@15 November 2003 - 19:10
    Magaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

there dragonlance books are great, super well written and totally exciting!!
    I always felt like their were chunks missing out of the Dragonlance novels but I did really enjoy the Twins stories (Raistlin was always my fave character).

5. Lounge   -   #5
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    I'm not really that big into fantasy books, but I do like the J.R.R. Tolkien books.
    I've read "The Hobbit", all three "Lord of the Ring" books, and "The Silmarillion".
    All four books were good, but "The Hobbit" is probably my favorite of the four.

Actually as Smooch pointed out above, Stephen King's "The Dark Tower"
    is the only other fantasy book series I've read.

Which, btw, Book 5 came out on November, 5; I need to get it and read it. That is one fantasy series I'm addicted to; I’ve read the first 4 books about 5 times each.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by bob_the_alien@15 November 2003 - 20:01
    I'm not really that big into fantasy books, but I do like the J.R.R. Tolkien books.
    I've read "The Hobbit", all three "Lord of the Ring" books, and "The Silmarillion".
    All four books were good, but "The Hobbit" is probably my favorite of the four.

Actually as Smooch pointed out above, Stephen King's "The Dark Tower"
    is the only other fantasy book series I've read.

Which, btw, Book 5 came out on November, 5; I need to get it and read it. That is one fantasy series I'm addicted to; I’ve read the first 4 books about 5 times each.
    Hiya Bob

I have read the first two of The Dark Tower books and I really enjoyed them, I suppose I should check out the others...I seem to remember they had me pretty hooked.

I think Stephen King wrote another fantasy novel as well, Eye of the Dragon, that was quite good as well.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    What's great about "The Dark Tower" series is it ties in with just about every Stephen King book. They visit many of the universes that exist in Stephen King's mind.

It also makes you want to read Stephen King's other books, I know I started out, by just reading The Stand, when I was in High School, then some friends turned me on to the Dark Tower series, now I’m going one by one through his entire collection, currently I'm reading Hearts of Atlantis, I’ve read on other Message boards that it ties in greatly with The Dark Tower.

As you Mentioned, I haven't read it, but Eyes of The Dragon, is suppose to be another of his books that has a major part to do with "The Dark Tower", and of course many of his books stat Martin or as he's know most of the time Randall Flagg. (And he appears to be the main villain or close to the main villain in the dark tower series, guess we will just have to wait and see when the series ends.

Which will be November 2004, King has already finished all the books; 7 in all, and the next one comes out in March, and then ends in November.
    So us Dark Tower fans are going to have a good year..

-------------------------------------
    Yeah, just wanted to add one other note, The best thing about J.R.R. Tolkien, is the songs, I love the songs in his books, which is why the new movies are pissing me off, why aren't there any songs, Its a MAJOR part of the books.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I think Flagg was a villian in Eye of the Dragon (though my memory is fuzzy these days) and wasn't that the name of the bad guy in The Stand? (which btw is my favourite Stephen King book).

Just found Hearts of Atlantis audio book on kazaa so I'll give that a try during those long hours at work. (I know its not as good as the book but my boss frowns on me reading whilst trying to do data entry...what's that all about? )

@the songs in Tolkiens works, I must admit I skipped those parts...

edit - sweet I just found The Gunslinger on audio as well.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    In no particular order:

George R.R. Martin
    Raymond E. Feist
    Piers Anthony
    JRR Tolkien

There are others that I've liked a single book, but that's hardly enough to count for one of my favourites.

There are also a lot that I just can't stand. Too much bad fantasy out there.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

10. Lounge   -   #10
    I read the Hobbit and didn't like it quite much... so far the best Fantasy work I've is the classic edition of "Knights of the Round Table" and many mythologies' tomes.
    That includes Greek and Roman, Nordic, Egyptian, and some others. Guess you missed one of the best creators of fantastic stories in history; Homer, whom wrote the Illiad and the Oddysey.
    Regarding the other authors, I've never read 'em. I'm more fond of horror...
    Poe, Lovecraft, and so on... B)

Lasombra Demon

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast