Page 47 of 75 FirstFirst ... 374445464748495057 ... LastLast

Thread: Critically Evaluate the last movie you saw.

Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by diagaro View Post
    Captain Phillips - the most critical thing about the whole experience was getting a dl copy with subs for the Somali dialogue!....
    ...and here I thought after watching it ...WOW...everybody must know Somali!

(It was a good movie... even if a little one sided... vocally speaking of course.)
    Last edited by Stehle; 01-21-2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: "Weyn!"

2. Movies & TV   -   #462
    Last film I watched was Despicable me 2

3. Movies & TV   -   #463
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Ok. How did you like it?

4. Movies & TV   -   #464
    Lifeforce on Blu-Ray. Utterly mental film - well worth a watch!

5. Movies & TV   -   #465
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    My Way (or "Mai wei")

A friend had recommended this WWII epic that was made a few years ago. Inspired by a true story, the director and actors did a brilliant job of weaving a story that both elicits emotion for the main characters and realism in the battle sequences heralding the whole war is futile and an atrocity that we don't often feel in films in our role as a spectator.

If you like to be moved emotionally, like epic war movies (not for the squeamish) this in my opinion is one you might like.

*Note: This story is done in native language(s), well subtitled, but you may want to pass... if you can't read.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

6. Movies & TV   -   #466
    Lone survivor. While its no Saving private Ryan, it is a good film.

7. Movies & TV   -   #467
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Old Boy (2013)

Being a fan of the original, I saw no way that the 'Merkin version could add to the already great (and twisted) show. Someone did, apparently. Spike Lee was tapped to direct. I guess if you are trying to redo something for people who do not want to read subtitles, might as well bring in a recognized (once) name. Throw in Josh Brolin, Elizabeth Olsen, and Samuel L. Jackson , how can it miss?

It is no secret that this show was/is both a box office and critical failure. No one really likes it. I expected to hate it, but I was curious enough to try it. I believe the biggest reason it failed was that it insulted the original just in the effort to try to remake it. The audience the studio was hoping to interest really did not want it to be remade. How can such a film hope to be successful?

If this film had been created on its own as an original, it would still have been an unexceptional movie. I do not think it would have been a hit, it just did not have enough heart. The emotion of the original does not exist. Brolin tries, but he just does not have the chops. At the same time, I do not believe Lee was trying to get raw emotion out of the characters. This is puzzling since much of the original feeds on tension. Jackson did not put much into this film, either. He really has not bothered in quite some time, and unless he does soon, I could not give a fuck about seeing him in anything again. Ever, really. The only actor who played well enough in this show was Elizabeth Olsen. She did a nice job and I would not mind seeing her tits in another film.

The show itself, as for attempting to stand as a different film than the original fails in its lack of originality. While it would have been difficult to remake such a fan favorite into something new without angering the core fans, there were few risks taken here. While not a shot-for-shot ( ) remake, the twists added were minimal, uncreative, and lacking brilliance. Done smartly, there was room to surprise.

Ultimately, I did not hate the experience as much as I expected, I just felt like I had not experienced anything new, nor was there anything improved by the remake. It is difficult to give this anything above a 2/5.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 02-21-2014 at 07:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. Movies & TV   -   #468
    great flick. The Art of the Steal.

9. Movies & TV   -   #469
    The Lookout (07 or 08). Pretty decent but I found it predictable. It's a little like Memento.

10. Movies & TV   -   #470
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by laststop View Post
    The Lookout (07 or 08). Pretty decent but I found it predictable. It's a little like Memento.
    I know what you mean. The main character is a lookout. How freakin' predictable is that. Totally, like.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

Page 47 of 75 FirstFirst ... 374445464748495057 ... LastLast