Page 14 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172464 ... LastLast

Thread: Critically Evaluate the last movie you saw.

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Weight of Chains

Do you remember Yugoslavia, that war torn former communist state somewhere in Eastern Europe? Yeah, what was that all about again?

So I had a lot of preconceptions going into this film, several of them have shifted dramatically as a result. I used to attribute the civil war and political turmoil to the death of Tito and rise of corrupt/inept political figures. This documentary makes a heavily researched effort to construct a picture detailing many of the external forces acting on Jugoslavija at the time, and when collectively portrayed, makes quite a convincing argument that Western democracies had played just as big a role in creating this dark period of Slavic national history as the denizens themselves.

It's my first exposure to Boris Malagurski, currently a Canadian. There's a plethora of dialogue to follow (something I personally enjoy), but as far as the optical sensory goes, he switches between old clip footage and recent interviews, never appearing in the documentary himself (that I'm aware). I do recall that he was consistently sarcastic in his presentation of events throughout, as he narrated the entire thing. There are quite a few bits from Serbian filmography, their style of humor included.

Maybe you don't care about Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia or any of the territories of the former Yugoslavia, but what could capture your interest is the manner in which the U.S., Germany, U.K., NATO, IMF, etc. practice their predatory capitalist agendas. However, if the story of Yugoslavia is of any interest to you, it does cover the historical background from the Ottoman occupation to the cessation of Montenegro.

This movie seems to not be able to find its way to common consumer outlets, so it's basically something you would need to either pirate from Demonoid or purchase directly from their website. Definitely worth a watch though, assuming the audience that I'm preaching to doesn't include ignorant nitwits.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Movies & TV   -   #132
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    The Taqwacores

It's pretty much just about a bunch of punk rock Muslims, and a couple straight-edge ones, all living in the same house. The plot really doesn't go anywhere, it's basically just about their antics inside the house. But still, it was different and I really enjoyed it.

3. Movies & TV   -   #133
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    inception. one of the best movies i've ever seen

4. Movies & TV   -   #134
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    The Taqwacores

It's pretty much just about a bunch of punk rock Muslims, and a couple straight-edge ones, all living in the same house. The plot really doesn't go anywhere, it's basically just about their antics inside the house. But still, it was different and I really enjoyed it.
    I love you.

No seriously,I love you.
    Respect my lack of authority.

5. Movies & TV   -   #135
    Hangover 1, and I loved it

6. Movies & TV   -   #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    The Taqwacores

That sounds like a reality TV show.

7. Movies & TV   -   #137
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Yeah, it kind of almost is. Except unlike most reality tv shows I found this one to be pretty good.

8. Movies & TV   -   #138
    Young Adult

So take one of your standard "coming home" flicks, switch out the old buddy with a high school "loser" with his own serious baggage, make the main character dejected and delusional, base all humor around her apparent psychosis, give her a serious drinking problem, and highlight just how mundane small town America is (without injecting any false charm), and I loved this movie. It makes all of those other "coming home" flicks feel so damn trite (or if you're like me, intensifies existing preconceptions).

Cannot watch another coming home romcom again without shitting all over it. Grosse Pointe Blank being the exception since it borders parody (in addition to Cusack stereotype character and Aykroyd).

9. Movies & TV   -   #139
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Young Adult

So take one of your standard "coming home" flicks, switch out the old buddy with a high school "loser" with his own serious baggage, make the main character dejected and delusional, base all humor around her apparent psychosis, give her a serious drinking problem, and highlight just how mundane small town America is (without injecting any false charm), and I loved this movie. It makes all of those other "coming home" flicks feel so damn trite (or if you're like me, intensifies existing preconceptions).

Cannot watch another coming home romcom again without shitting all over it. Grosse Pointe Blank being the exception since it borders parody (in addition to Cusack stereotype character and Aykroyd).
    I have to agree with you on both films, Macky. Gotta love the parts that happen in YA that couldn't happen in the other films of the genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. Movies & TV   -   #140
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Gotta love the parts that happen in YA that couldn't happen in the other films of the genre.
    And I love that went with crazy without going full single white female crazy.