Page 41 of 75 FirstFirst ... 313839404142434451 ... LastLast

Thread: Critically Evaluate the last movie you saw.

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Nice review but as much as I like Asian people wielding sharp objects I feel I would probably want to hurt myself if I gave in and watched this.

At some point I think you have to stop following the masses especially if the masses are headed off a big cliff.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Movies & TV   -   #402
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    "The Croods"

Another whimsical approach to explain very early development of mankind. This movie was very entertaining and had a decent moral for the grand kids, (who watched it 5 times over a few days....YAY!) and I think the voice over of Nick Cage & Emma Stone magically grabbed them from the start. (R. Reynolds and many others were also in there to fill it out.)

All in all it was pretty well done if you like that sort of thing.

(I must confess I myself watched it twice with them... and enjoyed it both times.)

3. Movies & TV   -   #403
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    The Wolverine- There certainly is something lost when watching a superhero/special effects-based show via early release Cam (no direct audio line) download. While not a complete disappointment in terms of (I'm grading on a curve because it is a superhero story) story, it was so predictable that I thought the end surprise had been revealed roughly 15 minutes before it actually had been- with suspicions VERY early on.

The acting is on par with any of the other X-Men movies, and a few of the characters are either likable or interesting enough to keep the show going. The modern day Japanese environment works well for creating an out-of-his-element backdrop, which helps add to Wolverine's sense of mortality. Another wise move was the choice of writers to limit the number of mutants. This helps the show seem a little bit more level-headed than some recent offerings which feel the audience wants to watch super combatants hurl buildings, planes, and mountains at each other for 2 hours and call it entertainment.

I will give the show another viewing once a Blu-ray surfaces, and expect to enjoy the show more than I did this go around. Certainly not my least favorite of the Wolverine-included shows. I'd strongly encourage those waiting impatiently on the fence to hold out for at least a really good TS, or preferably a DVD/Blu-ray copy. I would not tell anyone to spend their last $12 on a movie ticket- even for the "theater experience". It doesn't rate that highly, IMO.

It was quite a bit better than the most recent Superman, though.

As with most (not-intended-to-compete-for-an-Oscar) movies I watch, I give these shows a "What did you expect from a superhero movie?" bump, which takes it from about a 6-ish to a 7/10 show (factoring in the improved sound and special effects). If you are one who enjoys this kind of show, chances are you will like this one just fine.
    The movie fell apart badly at the end as someone decided that all the 12 year olds in the audience must be incensed that up to that point it wasn't comic booky and dumb enough.
    Spoiler: Show

Also it's probably just me having unfortunately seen stuff that isn't entirely shit,but this sort of thing demands that the "hero" through his basic awesomeness defeats the villain single-handedly and not himself require saving every 5 minutes by members of a J-Pop girl's band.He should also not have gotten the girl.
    I agree with you though that the movie gained from limiting the mutants,now if they could only have limited the number of giant robots.

Anyway I liked the title character,the immortality aspect,everything in the wild or having to do with swords,most of the angst, although I found Famke Janssen.'s stretched- back post facelift face pretty disturbing and not a whole lot else..

I also found how you devoted half your post, purportedly reviewing a movie, talking about TS mildly offensive.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 08-09-2013 at 12:23 PM.

4. Movies & TV   -   #404
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I also found how you devoted half your post, purportedly reviewing a movie, talking about TS mildly offensive.
    It was a word of caution that a fair amount of the show hinges on the special effects and sound. I also suggested that people should not spend their hard-earned (versus stolen) cash on a theater seat. Waiting for a good quality download is the best balance between the two.

See if I ever review another movie for you and the three others who read this stuffs.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Movies & TV   -   #405
    Now I find it mildly offensive that out of the entirety of my post you only deemed to make comment on that.

Anyway to further my point on why I think it was a bad idea to have Wolverine bed his damsel in distress.
    Wolverine is being presented as an idealized version of the selfless hero and therefore as much as he deserves a "reward", he can never under any circumstances be allowed to have any (reward) beyond simply doing what he knows to be right.

If you don't understand this,it's probably because the closest that you've ever come to doing anything heroic is refusing that fourth donut at lunch.

6. Movies & TV   -   #406
    Now I find it mildly offensive that out of the entirety of my post you only deemed to make comment on that.

Anyway to further my point on why I think it was a bad idea to have Wolverine bed his damsel in distress.
    Wolverine is being presented as an idealized version of the selfless hero and therefore as much as he deserves a "reward", he can never under any circumstances be allowed to have any (reward) beyond simply doing what he knows to be right.

If you don't understand this,it's probably because the closest that you've ever come to doing anything heroic is refusing that fourth donut at lunch.
    As a story device, heroes can have moments of happiness, but it must always be taken from them. Now give me that donut back.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. Movies & TV   -   #407
    Only in this particular case it wasn't taken from him,he simply walked away from it.Likely because after seeing her father he realized she probably wouldn't age well or maybe the idea of listening to that accent for the next 40 years made trotting off to face unknown peril seem suddenly attractive.
    Man of Tai Chi

I know because a lot of you filesharing types are mindless lemmings you are going to want to download this but be warned that except for a couple of cool fights which btw strangely get increasing shitter instead of better as the movie progresses,this is basically shite and even worse than that it is shite that needed to meet the approval of some dictatorial wank Chinese film approval committee or whatever those heathens are currently choosing to call their particular form of mind enslavement.

On the plus side it isn't French.

I would review it further but obviously as with the case of MBM,my words are wasted so I won't.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 08-09-2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Movies & TV   -   #408
    What? It's not French? Well forget it then! Re: Wolverine...
    watch the spoilers boys... I have not seen it yet....
    Last edited by Vestibule; 08-10-2013 at 03:09 AM.
    No life ever grows great until it is focused, dedicated and disciplined.

9. Movies & TV   -   #409
    Only in this particular case it wasn't taken from him,he simply walked away from it.[...]
    I would review it further but obviously as with the case of MBM,my words are wasted so I won't.
    Heroes can never live the "Happily ever after life". Their calling is more the greater good. However, a guy's gotta eat. And, just like in the Bond filums, the ladies know that there is no settling down.

And Wolverine is more of a self-centered emo than the shining, selfless hero type.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 08-10-2013 at 06:27 AM.

10. Movies & TV   -   #410
    Wolverine ain't Bond.Bond's womanizing is intrinsic to the character.Besides spies by definition lie and betray so it doesn't diminish his heroic appeal.
    Wolverine on the other hand is a solitary,mostly noble if conflicted figure whose path was partially carved by the loss of his one true love.Bringing in other women dilutes his singularity of purpose.

Nerd factor 10.

Also heroes can be happy,they just place duty first.

Page 41 of 75 FirstFirst ... 313839404142434451 ... LastLast