Page 16 of 75 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718192666 ... LastLast

Thread: Critically Evaluate the last movie you saw.

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Not the one to defend former teen pop stars, but Timberlake does a fantastic job in almost every skit I've seen him in on SNL.
    A skit is not a movie as while there might be caricature there is rarely characterization involved.
    Anyway Timberlake is one of those rarest of people who has lived basically his whole life as a wealthy and adored celebrity so any chance of actually embodying the essence of a normal,relatable person in a role is purely coincidental.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Movies & TV   -   #152
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    I'm having difficulty with the title of this thread again.

What if the latest movie I watched was the same one I already talked about last week and I haven't watched a movie since then cos my 96 inch 3 fucking D wall-rape thing is on the fucking frizz and I really, really, fucking really need to post in this thread?

Eh? I wouldn't want to have to repeat myself, like.
    Last edited by chalice; 03-28-2012 at 07:22 PM.

3. Movies & TV   -   #153
    Quote Originally Posted by chavis View Post

What if the latest movie I watched was the same one I already talked about last week and I haven't watched a movie since then cos my 96 inch 3 fucking D wall-rape thing is on the fucking frizz and I really, really, fucking really need to post in this thread?

Write something better for a title and have manker change it to that.

4. Movies & TV   -   #154
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post

What would you propose, old sock? Would it be unreasonable to suggest a more vigilant approach, moderation-wise to this hallowed of hallows? Despite your poo poo cha choo, Idol, I know that movieworld is your realm. Your Five Corners. Your South Fork. Your Tara. Your Alamo. It's yours, mate, take it. And don't you never go let no low-down dirty, torrent fantasy, grease-tongued, pube-aspirer tell you no different.

Ask to be deputized as a movieworld ranger. This town needs sturdy folk like you. Hell, you could be rightly assured of me and my Nellie's votes. Once the young'uns reach votin' age, you'll rule this town.

5. Movies & TV   -   #155
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Pandorum

Yes, it's an Alien derivative, and yes, maybe it's not that original.

Man wakes up on spaceship. He can't remember where he is, or what's going on. The spaceship is run-down, badly lit and inhabited by strange and dangerous things, and the few recognizably human survivors he encounters on his quest to set things right pretty much range from just hostile to murderously psychotic. The title refers to a kind of madness that affects deep-space travellers, often with catastrophic results.

What I like about it is that it's slick, and well executed. Good performances from all actors involved, a well-written if not especially intricate script, and well-made stages make for a movie that, in my mind, would have been just as successful as the original Alien, if it had been first.

6. Movies & TV   -   #156

What would you propose, old sock? Would it be unreasonable to suggest a more vigilant approach, moderation-wise to this hallowed of hallows? Despite your poo poo cha choo, Idol, I know that movieworld is your realm. Your Five Corners. Your South Fork. Your Tara. Your Alamo. It's yours, mate, take it. And don't you never go let no low-down dirty, torrent fantasy, grease-tongued, pube-aspirer tell you no different.

Ask to be deputized as a movieworld ranger. This town needs sturdy folk like you. Hell, you could be rightly assured of me and my Nellie's votes. Once the young'uns reach votin' age, you'll rule this town.
    Btw, that wasn't sarcasm.

7. Movies & TV   -   #157
    Then

Actually this is the one that I originally intended ,capturing better the essence of what you said but the Leone one was too brilliant to ignore.I think I came in my pants at least twice while rewatching it.

Btw I found Open Range quite enjoyable in it's insistence of clinging to the old fashion notion of doing the right thing.Westerns let you get away with that without adding any irony to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Pandorum

Yes, it's an Alien derivative, and yes, maybe it's not that original.

Man wakes up on spaceship. He can't remember where he is, or what's going on. The spaceship is run-down, badly lit and inhabited by strange and dangerous things, and the few recognizably human survivors he encounters on his quest to set things right pretty much range from just hostile to murderously psychotic. The title refers to a kind of madness that affects deep-space travellers, often with catastrophic results.

What I like about it is that it's slick, and well executed. Good performances from all actors involved, a well-written if not especially intricate script, and well-made stages make for a movie that, in my mind, would have been just as successful as the original Alien, if it had been first.
    I don't think the two movies are that comparable Alien being for all the distractions a much more straight forward "monster movie" , Pandorum requiring more from the audience as the real scary stuff coming after the twist finding form more the psychological horror aspects.
    Actually I think Pandorum matches up better with Super Nova a movie that frankly scared/disturbed the fuck out of me. It like Pandorum tanked at the box office btw.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 03-28-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Movies & TV   -   #158
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Not the one to defend former teen pop stars, but Timberlake does a fantastic job in almost every skit I've seen him in on SNL.
    A skit is not a movie as while there might be caricature there is rarely characterization involved.
    Anyway Timberlake is one of those rarest of people who has lived basically his whole life as a wealthy and adored celebrity so any chance of actually embodying the essence of a normal,relatable person in a role is purely coincidental.
    Being that the only movie I've seen him in was the Social Network, of which I'm not even sure it was him (so apologies if I'm wrong), I was only trying to say that he does comedy pretty well.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

9. Movies & TV   -   #159
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    The Rum Diary

For those of you who haven't seen this movie, yet have seen a. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and b. the trailer for The Rum Diary a spoiler FAIR WARNING! This movie is refreshingly nothing like either Fear and Loathing or the trailer which is really surprising. It starts out hilariously and drunkenly enough with a 'writer' (not yet published) who takes on a freelance job at a local paper in Puerto Rico in the 1950's. The movie though becomes a story of his awakening to corruption and abuse of power by the 'bastards' and is surprisingly uplifting. Aaron Eckhardt puts in another great performance as the archetypal corporate baddie, while Johnny Depp is stellar as Kemp the writer awakening to the corruption. Richard Jenkins as usual puts in a great performance as a ground down character this time the newspaper editor, while Giovanni Ribisi is brilliant as Moberg.
    There are of course some Hunter Thomson moments in this movie and they do exceed excess, the scene when they are driving the Fiat Bambina after it has been stripped is hilarious.
    This truly is a movie to watch, and guess what boys and girls not a CGI effect in sight just superb character acting driven by a brilliant script.
    Last edited by Artemis; 03-29-2012 at 06:08 AM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

10. Movies & TV   -   #160
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    The Rum Diary

For those of you who haven't seen this movie, yet have seen a. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and b. the trailer for The Rum Diary a spoiler FAIR WARNING! This movie is refreshingly nothing like either Fear and Loathing or the trailer which is really surprising. It starts out hilariously and drunkenly enough with a 'writer' (not yet published) who takes on a freelance job at a local paper in Puerto Rico in the 1950's. The movie though becomes a story of his awakening to corruption and abuse of power by the 'bastards' and is surprisingly uplifting. Aaron Eckhardt puts in another great performance as the archetypal corporate baddie, while Johnny Depp is stellar as Kemp the writer awakening to the corruption. Richard Jenkins as usual puts in a great performance as a ground down character this time the newspaper editor, while Giovanni Ribisi is brilliant as Moberg.
    There are of course some Hunter Thomson moments in this movie and they do exceed excess, the scene when they are driving the Fiat Bambina after it has been stripped is hilarious.
    This truly is a movie to watch, and guess what boys and girls not a CGI effect in sight just superb character acting driven by a brilliant script.
    Hmm, I hated Fear and Loathing in LV, and I love me some Eckhardt. I originally wrote off this movie (meaning I actively avoided seeing it), you have prompted me to start another investigation. If I'm disappointed in the recommendation, I will use the poor advisement in some manner to insult you in the distant future.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.