Page 46 of 75 FirstFirst ... 364344454647484956 ... LastLast

Thread: Critically Evaluate the last movie you saw.

Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    If you want a military snafu you should research the American invasion of Kiska, in the Aleutian Island chain during World War II. It was believed that the island was being defended by 3,500 Japanese, so an invasion force of 70,000 was sent..... to an island that had been abandoned by the enemy weeks before. To make matters worse 122 servicemen died during the unnecessary invasion, some to friendly fire, but a large percentage got lost and drowned in the swamps.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

2. Movies & TV   -   #452
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    If you want a military snafu you should research the American invasion of Kiska, in the Aleutian Island chain during World War II. It was believed that the island was being defended by 3,500 Japanese, so an invasion force of 70,000 was sent..... to an island that had been abandoned by the enemy weeks before. To make matters worse 122 servicemen died during the unnecessary invasion, some to friendly fire, but a large percentage got lost and drowned in the swamps.
    I believe I heard of this... what a tragedy!

That is "Military Intelligence" for you... an Oxymoron if I ever heard one!
    Last edited by Stehle; 01-03-2014 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Perhaps the reason FUBAR became so popular during the Vietnam "era"

3. Movies & TV   -   #453
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Watched Her the other day.

It was a little weird seeing Joaquin Phoenix demonstrating signs of empathy when the last movie of him I watched was Gladiator.

Regardless, Her is easily a contender for best movie of the year, and easily one of my favorite movies of all time. It was fucking brilliant. Not excessively devoted to either the romantic aspect or sci fi aspect but seamlessly blending them together, Her was a brilliant look into the human identity and the future of society and was incredibly thought provoking on many levels far surpassing those of the average and common "futuristic" movie. At the same time though its much more than just a philosophy or "what if" exercise as many of these movies tend to be, as Her manages to be incredibly endearing and entertaining at the same time.

In addition my number one complaint with most movies is that while they can have a great premise and are entertaining from the outset, have trouble following a logical progression and closing it out. Her was brilliantly thought out from beginning to end, and while the ending isn't exactly fairy tail, is incredibly well thought out and logical conclusion to the movie that doesn't at all feel forced.

And to round it out, the performances by Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson are excellent. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to film so many scenes where you are essentially talking to yourself with no one else around, but Joaquin Phoenix pulls it off perfectly. And I would certainly not mind having a Scarlett Johnasson computer sending me off to bed.

Her was a brilliant, bittersweet movie on the notions of human identity and society, and is easily an Oscar contender. Would recommend it to anyone, even if you aren't really a fan of romantic movies (like me). It might look like a chick flick at casual glance, but it is much, much, more than that.
    Last edited by Rart; 01-12-2014 at 02:48 AM.

4. Movies & TV   -   #454
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    ... even if you aren't really a fan of romantic movies (like me).
    I know this makes sense so feel free to discount it.Could it possibly be that you are actually a fan of "romantic movies" and up until Her you just hadn't found the right one?
    Sort of like being at party with a bunch of fugs when suddenly the most beautiful girl you've ever seen walks in the room.
    I'm guessing,and it's just a guess,that given that scenario you didn't spend all the previous time saying "Hey,I'm not a fan of women".

As Pablo Picasso use to say to me, perspective is everything or something.
    Respect my lack of authority.

5. Movies & TV   -   #455
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I was under the assumption that if you don't like the majority of romantic movies, then you aren't a fan of that genre. An exception to that doesn't change your overarching view of the genre as a whole if there were many more that you didn't like.

I don't think I've ever said that "I'm not a fan of women" after seeing a couple of uggos. Maybe you have with your confused sexuality or something (not that there's anything wrong with that). I'm sure you'll find what you want eventually buddy.

6. Movies & TV   -   #456
    Last movie i saw the the "desolation of smaug". As packed as it was, and as enjoyable as it was, it seemed to suffer from "middle movie" syndrome a little bit, where nothing of any importance or any furthering of the story happened at all, the entire movie could have been condensed down to an additional 15 minutes in the 1st and 3rd movies and the only thing of any note that would have been missing, would be about 400 million dollars from a film companies bank account.

7. Movies & TV   -   #457
    Frozen Ground- Nic Cage in a true-life serial-killer thriller. Everything about the movie sounds mediocre, and in truth the content is very clichéd, but this is one of those films that is so old-school and solid that it makes for a very satisfying B-movie.

R-rated film, and yet the sadistic sexual violence of the true life mass killer is downplayed as much as possible on screen. Instead a lot of casual nudity occurs in the seedy Anchorage, Alaska 'adult' entertainment venues where the killer stalks his victims. Frozen Ground is the opposite of gratuitous, probably because the writer/directer is treating the subject matter with respect, in honour of all the people that were murdered.

The story of a very nasty true-life crime, told by decent Humans.

8. Movies & TV   -   #458
    I agree with Bizzehdee. The desolation of smaug left you hanging and no closure.. something is just missing...

9. Movies & TV   -   #459
    Captain Phillips - the most critical thing about the whole experience was getting a dl copy with subs for the Somali dialogue! Even the full Bluray didn't have Somali only subs, simply went for the 1080p x264 and all was good. Note to management dudes at Maersk - one guy with an RPG would sort any future problems (I've obviously spent tooooo much time with BF4).

10. Movies & TV   -   #460
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by diagaro View Post
    Captain Phillips - the most critical thing about the whole experience was getting a dl copy with subs for the Somali dialogue!.
    Yeah that was the difference between it getting that Oscar nomination and being left out in the cold.
    Respect my lack of authority.

Page 46 of 75 FirstFirst ... 364344454647484956 ... LastLast