Page 52 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2424950515253545562 ... LastLast

Thread: Critically Evaluate the last movie you saw.

Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Watched 22 Jump Street and was thoroughly surprised with how much I enjoyed it. I felt like 21 Jump Street was a decent movie at best, and given a lackluster trailer that made it seem like it was nearly identical to it's predecessor, I went in with pretty low expectations. It pretty much smashed all of them and turned out to be a thoroughly enjoyable movie from start to finish. It's not a brilliant Oscar worthy contender, but for a light comedy I thought it was excellent.

Also the movie is littered with lines having a homoerotic overtone, so I'm sure Idol would thoroughly enjoy it.

2. Movies & TV   -   #512
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    So I watched Monuments Men and agree with the reviewer who said that it's ludicrous to set a movie during a war and then in place of the actual action have a bunch of old guys walk around doing basically nothing.
    While the notion " empires rise and fall but what endures is art" may be a noble one it definitely needs a more focused and better paced movie attached to it.

Also two non-Americans in the squad and they both die but all the Yanks are fine.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Movies & TV   -   #513
    dion09529's Avatar Helter Skelter BT Rep: +1
    Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007)

When I watch movies like ... guts, cuts, soup man, blood etc., I behave strangely; can't stop laughing. =))
    Old shit was here. Now it's gone.

4. Movies & TV   -   #514
    I'm missing the "critically evaluate" part.
    Last edited by Rart; 07-15-2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: unnecessary

5. Movies & TV   -   #515
    dion09529's Avatar Helter Skelter BT Rep: +1
    Somebody stop this guy spamming over and over again.

on: Under the Skin is about a hot chick who's hiding under a black and ugly alien. A film that doesn't have a topic, just like Kim Kardashian stupid shows, this is a masterpiece of stupidity. You can't understand anything from this movie. It just doesn't get into any film print.... It's a self-contained floating island with its laws.
    Last edited by dion09529; 07-14-2014 at 06:00 PM.
    Old shit was here. Now it's gone.

6. Movies & TV   -   #516
    I hate to question you're critical evaluation of the film but the guy from the New York Times gave it a 6.7.

7. Movies & TV   -   #517
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    I just watched The Maiden Heist: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1107860 . It was thoroughly enjoyable. Christopher Walken and William H. Macy have always had the ability to play truly quirky characters, and they absolutely shine in this respect in this movie, while Morgan Freeman plays a slightly odd straight man to the other two. This is a comedy heist movie with a twist, the protagonists aren't hardened career criminals, and the enjoyment and comedic moments of this movie are in the bungling and unplanned errors while trying to carry off a precisely planned heist. If you enjoy these three actors work then this movie is a treat just to see them playing off of each other.

To delve any further into the story would spoil so much of what this is about, but suffice to say it is well worth the watch if quirky is your thing!

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

8. Movies & TV   -   #518
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I watched Boyhood the other day.

What is it with Richard Linklater and everyone of his recent movies being basically exactly the same thing yet all of them getting rave reviews from the critics? Is this guy paying them or something? Or are the critics really that vulnerable to feel good sappy movies that only have the most minimal of substance behind them? The only other media I recall getting a 99% on Metacritic was Breaking Bad season 5, and I would really like to meet anybody that thinks these two are on the same level.

It's not a terrible movie by any stretch of the imagination. The concept of following actors for over 12 years to shoot the movie is pretty neat, and seeing as what they call it, "the actors growing up before your very eyes" is pretty cool. But that's all there really is to it. Once the novelty of it wears off and you dive into the meat of the movie, there really isn't much else to it. It's an extremely generic, cliched plot with a character that becomes quite cringeworthy near the end with how emo and abstract he gets.

Color me disappointed. A decent movie but that's it. Certainly not living up to the hype.

9. Movies & TV   -   #519
    Look up the word "pretentious" and then run away from anything remotely connected to that word in the future.

Also clearly there is something wrong with you if at 14 or whatever you are, you are watching Boyhood and not awesome stuff like Jackass.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 07-22-2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. Movies & TV   -   #520
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I read the idea behind Boyhood somewhere and thought it was a decent premise. Almost like a reality show contained in a movie. Did not grab it, but agree that the premise was worthy.

In contrast, though, we've got Emma Watson (she comes to mind for some reason ) who we've also had the chance see grow up during the Hairy Pooter series. The idea has been there, it just has not been put together in the same way.
    -------------------------------
    I grabbed a copy of Zero Theorem the other night. Apparently, this is impossible as it won't be released for another month...

I believe there has been a lot of anticipation from Gilliam fans on this. And with the cast of talented actors involved, it is worth the time to see them act. They each do an admirable job* and keep things going- even when you don't know where this show is going.

That said, the only shortcoming I found in the show is that there isn't enough of a WOW in the show's culmination to make the show's concept fully work. Make sure you pay very close attention to the audio as the credits roll!

Ultimately, I suggest this be a "to watch" filum. It really is not bad at all, just don't go in with expectations that you will be blown away from the existential nature.

*With the exception of Matt Damon, who phones in a "guest star role". the only thing I liked about him (not necessarily the character he plays) is that he reminded me of Alton Brown. Actually, AB would have made an AWESOME choice for the role, IMO.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 07-22-2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added a review
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.