Page 507 of 545 FirstFirst ... 7407457497504505506507508509510517 ... LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,070 of 5447

Thread: Last one to post wins the internets (archived)

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Considering it's 11 hours out of the way, it's quite a bit. That's a whole day of vacation. For something we're considering doing the following year anyhow.

yo

2. Lounge   -   #5062
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    In other news, the stingy fockers at Corsair neglected to include a cable kit in with my order so I've got a pile of hardware here to stare at.

yo

3. Lounge   -   #5063
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    That's an 11 hour drive from Calgary.

Those are places we'll visit when we do the Northwest. At some point in the next couple of years we'd like to head for Yosemite, then head north through the Pacific NW and up into Vancouver and surrounding areas. Trying to convince the missus that a drive all the way to Denali NP is worth it, but we'll need at least 3 weeks to make it worth it.
    Banff is beautiful and the nicest area around there. I cannot say anything about the camping because after having a COMPLETE disappointing stay in Edmonton we were ready to splurge. We stayed at The Rimrock. Which is about as far from camping as possible. We have placed Banff on our places to see with the kids list, but we won't be going into the prairies again. Banff is AMAZING. See it. I'd bet you could plan your entire trip there and be pleased. Much nicer than West Yellowstone, as well.

Edmonton, on the other hand, was nothing but Americanized malls and fast food. On top of that, we had to use GPS just to get out of the shit city. It was like it didn't want to let go. No kidding...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Lounge   -   #5064
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post

Those are places we'll visit when we do the Northwest. At some point in the next couple of years we'd like to head for Yosemite, then head north through the Pacific NW and up into Vancouver and surrounding areas. Trying to convince the missus that a drive all the way to Denali NP is worth it, but we'll need at least 3 weeks to make it worth it.
    Banff is beautiful and the nicest area around there. I cannot say anything about the camping because after having a COMPLETE disappointing stay in Edmonton we were ready to splurge. We stayed at The Rimrock. Which is about as far from camping as possible. We have placed Banff on our places to see with the kids list, but we won't be going into the prairies again. Banff is AMAZING. See it. I'd bet you could plan your entire trip there and be pleased. Much nicer than West Yellowstone, as well.

Edmonton, on the other hand, was nothing but Americanized malls and fast food. On top of that, we had to use GPS just to get out of the shit city. It was like it didn't want to let go. No kidding...
    Excellent. Good to hear. Any suggestions on specific things to do? We're outdoor folks so we'll definitely be hiking and canoeing (if they don't have kayaks). I'm thinking two full days there is enough?

yo

5. Lounge   -   #5065
    Excellent. Good to hear. Any suggestions on specific things to do? We're outdoor folks so we'll definitely be hiking and canoeing (if they don't have kayaks). I'm thinking two full days there is enough?
    We burnt up most of our available time traveling to Edmonton, and used Banff to salvage the trip. We spent 2 (maybe 3) days there, but that was mostly in the town and/or at the resort. I'd check out specific opportunities (such as kayaking) before going, but you will have no shortage of beautiful places to explore. The amazing photos you see are not simply "best of the area", but all around you there. We wouldn't call ourselves outdoor people, but we do own a couple nice kayaks which would find great use there.

There were lots of people doing "outdoors" stuff as we made our way out. There are several campgrounds (Plan ahead as I seem to remember something about one of the major places being booked /filled up- and that may be common. If you cannot find a place to stay, you are a long ways from anywhere else.). I seriously doubt you'd run out of things to do in a week unless you really want to move on to other areas. We were very pleased there, and we didn't even venture in directly.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. Lounge   -   #5066
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezart View Post
    Can't beat Vancouver and Whistler
    It's a road trip so he probably assumed you wanted to spend as much time as possible on the the road.

Anyway as luck would have it I happen to know a woman who spent two years as director of fitness or something at a ritzy Banff resort so the next time I see her,I shall ask her about stuff.

I assume you like yoga and shopping and other similar things that women are knowledgeable about.
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. Lounge   -   #5067
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post

I've heard that only an idiot would vacation in Edmonton so I'm glad to see that I wasn't being misled.

Conversely love to drive/ride the Alaska Highway even though I've heard that there's a couple of "challenging" stretches.
    Also it goes through Dawson's Creek and I could find out what Pacey's been up to.
    Respect my lack of authority.

8. Lounge   -   #5068
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Considering it's 11 hours out of the way, it's quite a bit. That's a whole day of vacation. For something we're considering doing the following year anyhow.
    That's also the beauty of it, nothing is out of the way on a vacation/road trip. An 11 hour detour during a commute to work, I'd grant you the out of the wayness there.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

9. Lounge   -   #5069
    I've heard that only an idiot would vacation in Edmonton so I'm glad to see that I wasn't being misled.
    Yeah, we assumed it was some kind of Canadian joke aimed at luring unsuspecting idiots Americans. Seriously HATED our time there.

10. Lounge   -   #5070
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Aren't all of these "places", including Edmonton, just the teams in Blades of Steel?

Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.