Page 511 of 545 FirstFirst ... 11411461501508509510511512513514521 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,110 of 5447

Thread: Last one to post wins the internets (archived)

Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Skiz if you upgraded the RAM and the graphics card on that system there is only minor advantages (mainly power savings & PCIE 3) in going to a Haswell based PC?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz
    Was that a question?

Errr.... yes it was, I thought the question mark at the end was a hint, but maybe I should have been clearer, I would have thought that upgrading the RAM and graphics would have been more cost effective and the advantages of upgrading to a generation 4 i5 from a generation 3 (like yours) are only slight (as I mentioned mainly a power savings of 10% and PCIE 3), therefore cost versus gain wouldn't be that advantageous. If get a good return for your old setup it will offset the cost, but secondhand goods go for notoriously cheap prices.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

2. Lounge   -   #5102
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Arty, the original comment read like a statement so I wasn't sure.

There were most definitely more cost effective ways of upgrading but it had been two years since I'd built myself anything new, and even that was still just a parts upgrade. I hadn't built myself anything entirely new in about 5 years so I think I just got the itch.

It started out with me wanting a new case. I could have gone with the same GPU, a 32GB memory upgrade. But to get the same performance out of my 2500K I would have had to do some overclocking, which also meant upgrading my default heatsink. After looking at everything that was going to be upgraded - case, RAM, GPU, cooling, and overclocking, I just started to look at starting fresh.

yo

3. Lounge   -   #5103
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    I'm not going to lie to anyone. The last thing I want to do it cheat/scam a buyer. I'm going to outright tell them it's bootleg. If they're ok with it, great. If not, I'll format the drive with dban or something and they can acquire their own OS. The only other alternative is putting Linux on it but I wouldn't want the fact that it's Linux to scare buyers away either.

I guess I could say it comes with no OS, but Windows 8 could be installed free of charge, and then tell them what it is over the phone or in person when they arrive.
    It is a fine balancing point. I am not sure of the current methods for installing Win8, but maybe the best (and safest) option for you might have something to do with installing but not entering a serial number. If the buyer has issues, they can purchase one. If they don't (and don't give you any indication of trouble), hand them a printed one on a piece of paper as they leave. Something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Lounge   -   #5104
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I use the "Pre-activated" versions so there's no serial to enter at all.

I changed the listing to something like, Windows 8 can be installed at not charge if you like.

yo

5. Lounge   -   #5105
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Maybe something like, "Win8 cna be negotiated, if desired". I doubt M$ is trolling private sellers, but I do know they successfully sued a small business that was selling machines without proper licenses a few years back.

What does a general Craig's List ad read on the subject? Certainly you are not alone. I'm just suggesting it is best to not stand out.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. Lounge   -   #5106
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I'm not going to lie to anyone. The last thing I want to do it cheat/scam a buyer. I'm going to outright tell them it's bootleg. If they're ok with it, great.
    I'd say that is probably the best choice. Craigslist buyers aren't really known for their fucks given. "Does it turn on? Cool, can we stop having this awkward encounter now? Awesome."

7. Lounge   -   #5107
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Just tell them that it came 'pre-installed'.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL
    You are one of the nicest and most mature people on this board; I would never ignore someone like you.

8. Lounge   -   #5108

There were most definitely more cost effective ways of upgrading but it had been two years since I'd built myself anything new, and even that was still just a parts upgrade. I hadn't built myself anything entirely new in about 5 years so I think I just got the itch.

It started out with me wanting a new case. I could have gone with the same GPU, a 32GB memory upgrade. But to get the same performance out of my 2500K I would have had to do some overclocking, which also meant upgrading my default heatsink. After looking at everything that was going to be upgraded - case, RAM, GPU, cooling, and overclocking, I just started to look at starting fresh.
    Since other 'members' of this forum (I use the term in all it's connotations)had recently given me grief over an upgrade of mine, I was being slightly douchey and sharing the love I do understand the itch and there are arguments for starting from scratch although on the subject of CPU cooling, particularly if you are entertaining the thought of overclocking, have you looked into closed loop liquid cooling? (not a statement).
    There are several respected brands now manufacturing liquid coolers, and the prices are comparable to aftermarket CPU coolers with far better results.

9. Lounge   -   #5109
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

Since other 'members' of this forum (I use the term in all it's connotations)had recently given me grief over an upgrade of mine, I was being slightly douchey and sharing the love I do understand the itch and there are arguments for starting from scratch although on the subject of CPU cooling, particularly if you are entertaining the thought of overclocking, have you looked into closed loop liquid cooling? (not a statement).
    There are several respected brands now manufacturing liquid coolers, and the prices are comparable to aftermarket CPU coolers with far better results.
    They look cool and do the job, but the maintenance free H100i should be more than enough to keep it very cool, especially since it isn't even overclocked.

If I ever get the itch to do that, I think I'll solicit clocker to spend a day assembling it all with me. I've been watching his builds for a decade now.

yo

10. Lounge   -   #5110

They look cool and do the job, but the maintenance free H100i should be more than enough to keep it very cool, especially since it isn't even overclocked.

If I ever get the itch to do that, I think I'll solicit clocker to spend a day assembling it all with me. I've been watching his builds for a decade now.
    I forgot you had a Corsair H100i, that is exactly the type of cooler I was referring to by closed loop liquid cooling, I'll shut up now.....