Page 534 of 545 FirstFirst ... 34434484524531532533534535536537544 ... LastLast
Results 5,331 to 5,340 of 5447

Thread: Last one to post wins the internets (archived)

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

But back to Skiz.... you keep on asking about the coax digital connector when there is an HDMI connector glaring you in the face? a coax spdif connection is a poor cousin to a modern HDMI 1.4 connection. A modern receiver (another plug for Onkyo) with decent HDMI switching is going to be far superior to a SPDIF connection, and even base models give a surprising amount of functionality including internet radio integration through services like spotify and tune-in.
    The HDMI has to go to the TV tho.

yo

2. Lounge   -   #5332
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I just learned a bunch with all that info but, I'm going adapter shopping.

The new system and speakers sounds nice and I'd prob enjoy it, but the price/trade off just isn't there for me. If I'd known this was going to be an issue at all, I'd prob have just gone with a 'home theater in a box'.

yo

3. Lounge   -   #5333
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    One thing wrt adapters: Make sure whatever you get handles DTS/Surround properly. I was shopping for one (toslink -> rca spdif) for the parents before I realised that they also had the same plugs on both units, and when I did, I found that a couple of the cheapest, most commonly available adapters had major issues with anything but stereo. So, uh, check reviews, or something.

4. Lounge   -   #5334
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Ultimately, it sounds like skiz has decided to skip the receiver/ht for now.

Using his integrated stereo/main speakers unit without concern for surround sound, he can:

1. Use hdmi to the television and come out of the television via rca to his stereo/speakers. That would probably require (for consistency) connecting all of his equipment to the inputs on the television.

or

2. Use a digital to analog converter. Make sure it does coaxial digital in; rca (again, coax stereo R/L) out. This should be just fine considering you do not need surround sound. DO NOT worry about getting any kind of "special" digital coax. Any rca stereo cable is perfectly fine. Even the ones that come with vcrs, etc.

or

3. What about a possible hdmi input or coax on the back of your htpc? Do you have one? Is this a set-up you'd want (would require htpc to be on any time you would use Blu-ray)? Check for a digital input before buying a cable, of course. There are also hdmi switches which would work as an active-on input to your htpc. I've got this one, and like it (used for a set-up prior to purchasing new receiver).

or

4. Just get a blu-ray player that has the outputs you need.

or

5. Return Blu-ray player, and buy an internal one for your htpc.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    I'd prob have just gone with a 'home theater in a box'.
    Some of these units can offer quite a bit of bang-for-the-buck. Just make sure it will offer the ability to grow with you a bit. Otherwise, you'll end up back in this same boat...
    Last edited by megabyteme; 01-26-2014 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Updated some of the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Lounge   -   #5335
    I have to put my hand up for Onkyo as well, and I just recently upgraded too, to the TX-NR828 receiver and it is stunning, my SR607 was good, the NR828 makes it look like a very poor cousin, and there is even an IOS/Android app for controlling the NR (Network Receiver) range of Onkyo receivers, and I personally love being able to play digital content from my phone directly via DLNA using the app.
    Exactly what I'd recommend. Sweeeeet unit. Congrats, you won't regret it for a moment.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. Lounge   -   #5336
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Some of these units can offer quite a bit of bang-for-the-buck. Just make sure it will offer the ability to grow with you a bit. Otherwise, you'll end up back in this same boat...
    I might just go that route and return my current unit. I'm currently shopping for something on Newegg just based on reviews. Open to suggestions... Needs t include a Blu-Ray player and be under about $250.

I'm only going to be living out of state for a few years and then I'll be moving back to my house in Texas, so I don't really mind if I just have something ample in the meantime; not worried about growing with it.
    Last edited by Skiz; 01-27-2014 at 02:27 AM.

yo

7. Lounge   -   #5337
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Meh. There's a bunch of junk out there it seems.

yo

8. Lounge   -   #5338
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3

But back to Skiz.... you keep on asking about the coax digital connector when there is an HDMI connector glaring you in the face? a coax spdif connection is a poor cousin to a modern HDMI 1.4 connection. A modern receiver (another plug for Onkyo) with decent HDMI switching is going to be far superior to a SPDIF connection, and even base models give a surprising amount of functionality including internet radio integration through services like spotify and tune-in.
    The HDMI has to go to the TV tho.
    Modern receivers have multiple HDMI inputs i.e. the Onkyo TX NR828 has 8 HDMI 1.4 inputs and two simultaneous outputs and it can upscale to 4k. The two outputs are so you can have both a TV and if you are a total addict a projector as well.
    With HDMI 1.4 there is far more digital information being processed, and a modern receiver is going to process that information far more accurately, the TV in effect just becomes the monitor output, but then a receiver has far more processing ability than your TV could ever hope to have.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

9. Lounge   -   #5339
    Open to suggestions... Needs t include a Blu-Ray player and be under about $250.
    At $250, you are asking for a bit too much, but this is quite popular on Amazon. Keep the player you have, and add it. For the money, I believe you will be pleased. In a small-ish room, there is no reason it should not be enjoyable with your HTPC, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500.../ref=pd_cp_e_3

The next step up would be the full-out theater I was describing earlier. You'd be around $1700 all said and done. Proportionally, this offers good bang-for-the-buck. You'd be very likely to sell the small system on CraigsList for 1/2 to 2/3 what you spent when you decided to step up. Let's say $125 for 2+ years of use...
    Last edited by megabyteme; 01-27-2014 at 05:36 AM.

10. Lounge   -   #5340
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Here's a thought. Whenever some nzb crackwhore makes a thread that's nothing but a list of one word replies by window lickers, move the fucker to the word game section. It's essentially the same anyway.