Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I certainly wasn't going to throw them away, Billy.

They would make an interesting mobile, I think.

I am actually just kidding about selling them at all.
    I'm sure they will be put to good use eventually.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Clocker,

I got inspired by your fan story, so I cut a hole in my pc tower and started using the new fan I purchased.

Well 10 minutes later, I am friggin' exhausted and it's near impossible to type with one hand. Screw this!

Sorry, I'll get me coat.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Hobbes, it is now obvious why you rarely hangout in Hardware world.

Even the rawest nOOb would have known better than to buy the budget kit that you fell for. For just a few extra bucks you could have upgraded and gotten the included geisha.
    Then you wouldn't have had this problem.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Originally posted by clocker@16 November 2003 - 19:03
    Hobbes, it is now obvious why you rarely hangout in Hardware world.

Even the rawest nOOb would have known better than to buy the budget kit that you fell for. For just a few extra bucks you could have upgraded and gotten the included geisha.
    Then you wouldn't have had this problem.
    Oh, I got the geisha with the fan, 'nough said
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    clocker lessons hard learned are lessons best recieved...
    I watched one day as $2000 comp flooded with water and slowly died in my arms...

*Alex takes off his hat and says*
    "I will never forget how well that one oced"

Not all mods end out well, and as far as to why your fan situation is working, certainly you remeber the old 1995 computers with only one fan in them... The PSU and nothing else... that is how yours works, (just with 2 fans) a suction causes the heat to go up to the psu and then to exit the case... sucking in cool air from the front, also your case is has near godly airflow capabilities...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    I have decided to try one more configuration.

Looking back on my notes, I realized that I've tried almost all the various combinations save one.

This time ( please God, let it be the last&#33 I'm putting a 120mm fan on the case floor, basically just replacing the 80mm that's already there and two fans back into the rear wall.

All three will be blowing air into the case.
    The idea here is to create positive case pressure, forcing air out of all the other openings that my case already has.
    These fans will be running at either 5 or 7 volts, so they should be essentially silent.
    I hope.

Somehow I just can't give up on the aircooling experiments as long as I can come up with a new idea to try.

Wish me luck.

Edit:
    I just scanned the temp history over the past 24 hrs. (Asus Probe has a neat record feature) and nothing has moved more than 1/2 degree. Motherboard and HDD are at 29C and CPU is 42C. Admittedly, all I've been doing is some web browsing and DLed two movies, but that's actually pretty normal activity for me, so I'm going to use it as a baseline...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Clocker, also, keep in mind that no matter how many fans, running at how many RPMs you have in your case, there are a few other things to keep in mind. For instance merely the ambient temperature of the outside of the case, and the temp inside the case.

You cant lower you CPU temps that much, if the hot air coming off the processor can only mixed with 29C air in your case, that is being renewed with just about as hot air thats outside your case. Keep in mind that I have a 10 degree hotter CPU, yet a case thats running 8 degrees (21C) cooler.

However, do you see any effect by merely taking off the windowed side of your case, and leaving it open? My CPU temp goes down by about 3, and my case by about 3 as well when I do that.

Also remember to keep the tower off the ground, I had mind on the ground, and the temps were about 5 degrees higher than what I have now, after I put the Case on my trumpet case, which raises it about 5 inches off the ground.

Oh and btw, as for water cooling, how many water cooling compoents are you planning to buy? Remember that you cant just take out all your fans in your case, unless you have all the heat dispensing parts covered, including your Northbridge (thats why it has a heatsink, because it puts off heat.) As well as your hard drives, and GPU block.

I know people that have had parts fail simply because they think that they can take out all their fans because the CPU isnt heating the inside of the case anymore. And thus, no more heat is being conducted into the case because the watercooling keeps it all nice and cool.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Right now John I have NO case fans at all save the CPU HSF.
    And yes, my temps drop dramatically if I leave the windowed side off. That offends my sense of aesthetics, though.

Your point about ambient temp is well taken, the room my PC lives in is probably the hottest in the whole house. I could raise orchids in here, but there's not much I can do about it, this place has such a poorly designed heating system that I'll freeze in bed if I don't keep the temps where they are.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@16 November 2003 - 18:28
    Right now John I have NO case fans at all save the CPU HSF.
    And yes, my temps drop dramatically if I leave the windowed side off. That offends my sense of aesthetics, though.

Your point about ambient temp is well taken, the room my PC lives in is probably the hottest in the whole house. I could raise orchids in here, but there's not much I can do about it, this place has such a poorly designed heating system that I'll freeze in bed if I don't keep the temps where they are.
    But that does show you that if you lower the temp of the air directly around the CPU and heatsink, by taking off the side of the case, then you can still lower the temp of the CPU.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    It's not a good idea to set it up with all fans blowing into the case.

It's better to blow in from the bottom and blow out near the top.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast